Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions On This Soma Prime Build?

Ruzom

24 answers to this question

Even Cryo Rounds in Hammer Shot's place will give you more DPS overall. The gun doesn't boast a high status chance anyway, and you'll deal extra damage to targets that have shields or alloy armor (I'm assuming you're going to run Void with this build) as opposed to corrosive's +-0%.

Really, Hammer Shot isn't as good as it seems.

I would replace Hammershot with Shred any day of the week.

Actually, yeah. Shred might work even better against crowds of enemies.
Edited by Govorunb

Why hammer shot? Isnt crit damage what you need?

With Heavy Cal and Split Chamber you're not going to be scoring enough headshots for Hammer Shot to be useful. Besides, 60% crit damage isn't much when you can add raw damage or firerate and get more reliable DPS for the not-so-rare times when you won't crit.

Edit: and trust me, you will have moments when you won't crit. 75% isn't 100%, and you can't fit Critical Delay unless you're willing to lose some firerate. It really depends on your playstyle. If you want it to be more of an assault rifle, go for Crit Delay. If you want it to be a heavy machine gun that mows down crowds of enemies, then go for Shred or a third elemental.

Edited by Govorunb

Why hammer shot? Isnt crit damage what you need?

Law of diminishing returns basically. That +60% would be less effective as you already have +120% on Vital sense. And status is marginal. Any other mod would give you more dps than hammershot.

Also is the 75% crit chance good or should I add more?

It is good enough, the high base rate of fire evens out nicely the damage spikes.

If that's for grineer, switch Hammer Shot for Bane Of Grineer or a dual-stat electric/poison mod.

You can play with Critical Delay as well. Incteases crit chance up to 89%, but reduces fire rate a bit.

If the build is for Infested, either Bane Of Infested or a dual-stat fire mod.

If for Void, then you can leave Hammer Shot or slap on a dual-stat electric/poison mod.

Again, you can use Crit Delay, but only if the fire rate suits you.

Edited by Ryuji-kun

Tell me something.

Why would you replace the hammer shot with shred? shred gives you fire rate + punch through :

1) in my oppinion fire rate is really bad for soma i mean you dont need to burst a lot of ammo , you actually need to reduce it because you have a lot of crit and on 75 % of the situations you are 1 shot ,thats how fire rate works right ? increasing the fire rate = the bullets are fired faster. Tell me if im wrong please.

2)punch through is useless...cmon

3) im using the same build less the hammer shot,im using the heat damage,its gives me +1 cc and its good against infested.

Tell me something.

Why would you replace the hammer shot with shred? shred gives you fire rate + punch through :

1) in my oppinion fire rate is really bad for soma i mean you dont need to burst a lot of ammo , you actually need to reduce it because you have a lot of crit and on 75 % of the situations you are 1 shot ,thats how fire rate works right ? increasing the fire rate = the bullets are fired faster. Tell me if im wrong please.

2)punch through is useless...cmon

3) im using the same build less the hammer shot,im using the heat damage,its gives me +1 cc and its good against infested.

Different playstyles.

Firerate+punchthrough lets you take down dozens of enemies in mere seconds. Without Shred you'll sometimes find yourself shooting at the body of an enemy trying to hit the one behind it, but failing because dead bodies absorb bullets better than Absorb itself. And while you're waiting for that Lancer to finish flailing its arms around and drop dead on the floor... you've guessed it. You're full of bullet holes.

With damage/crit mods you become more of a sharpshooter with an assault rifle that focuses on precise shots and short bursts, which is not what the Soma is. The Soma (and moreso the Soma Prime) is a heavy machine gun that has an enormous magazine specifically for holding down the trigger button until everyone in sight is dead.

But, again, different people like to build their guns in different ways.

Edited by Govorunb

In my opinion I never ever use Heavy Calibur, it takes away from the feeling of accuracy on a very precise gun.

Trust me, the pin point accuracy on the soma is just simply too good to give up even with the recoil.

Yes, as someone as said before shred is simply much better than the 60% extra damage. Think about it, with shred you have a chance to hit people behind the one you are currently firing at. Thus equally double damage, with hammer shot however, it only applies to one and the 60% that you have isn't worth much in the comparison. It also saves a bit of ammo when you think about it.

It's like this: 2 enemy hit with the same bullet, or 1 enemy hit and the second one behind it requires more ammo.

Uhm, I have your same build, but reading these comments I may replace Hammershot with something else.

Wha't best between Bane and Elemental?

In the case of soma (3 slots for elementals/bane), a third 90% elemental mod > Bane mod > 60% elemental mod on top of 2 90% elemental mods in the first two slots.

Of course, this is without factoring in elemental weakness, so radiation + bane of grineer might be better against alloy compared to radiation + toxin. Like the guy above me said, you can always use WF builder to compare your choices.

In the case of soma (3 slots for elementals/bane), a third 90% elemental mod > Bane mod > 60% elemental mod on top of 2 90% elemental mods in the first two slots.

Of course, this is without factoring in elemental weakness, so radiation + bane of grineer might be better against alloy compared to radiation + toxin. Like the guy above me said, you can always use WF builder to compare your choices.

Yea thanks, I still can't understand how Bane mods actually work and how can they be better than mods with apparently higher numbers, will try to figure it out on the builder!

Yea thanks, I still can't understand how Bane mods actually work and how can they be better than mods with apparently higher numbers, will try to figure it out on the builder!

Simply put, they add a 30% flat increase to your weapon's total damage.

Simply put, they add a 30% flat increase to your weapon's total damage.

Yea but I don't get how this sometimes translates into being better than elemental, direct damage type, critical and so on...I mean, in some cases a 30% Bane is considered better than a 60%/90% elemental and I can't understand how..

Yea but I don't get how this sometimes translates into being better than elemental, direct damage type, critical and so on...I mean, in some cases a 30% Bane is considered better than a 60%/90% elemental and I can't understand how..

The 30% damage on Bane mods are from your total damage, while the damage on elemental mods are from your BASE damage.

Think of it this way.

If you have a weapon with base damage of 100, and total damage of 400 (with other elemental mods), adding another elemental mod would increase your damage by 90, while adding a bane mod would increase your weapon damage by 120.

The 30% damage on Bane mods are from your total damage, while the damage on elemental mods are from your BASE damage.

Think of it this way.

If you have a weapon with base damage of 100, and total damage of 400 (with other elemental mods), adding another elemental mod would increase your damage by 90, while adding a bane mod would increase your weapon damage by 120.

Oh, woah, it was that simple, great. Thanks!

For Void, I would much prefer to build like http://goo.gl/o6Df65 

Headshots are a damage increase of 3.5x on average. This is far superior to the extra 62% damage offered by HCal, and headshots are easy enough to make against the heavies. Now that Bombards are present in Void, the secondary Cold element is more important, offering some armor penetration as well as a damage amp, and still being a good damage increase against Moas, which are hard to hit the critical points on (unless they're not attacking you).