The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Question About Hosting Game

ZKAT8IT

I can join games just fine, even with all of the effects on ( Bloom, HDR, PhysX ) and have no frame drops or lag at all. Yet when I host a game, the game seems to skip and I get fps drops etc.. even if I turn all of the effects off. However, my squad receives no lag at all or anything. So I'm confused as to whether this is a lag issue or performance issue. Has anyone else experienced this or might have a possible solution?

My specs if it helps.

Intel i7 Q720 ( 1.6Ghz/2.8Ghz ) Quad core with hyperthreading ( registers as 8 cores )

6GB RAM

GeForce GTS 360M 1GB

Internet connection cable, 16Mb down, 1Mb up.

Yet when I host a game, the game seems to skip and I get fps drops etc.. even if I turn all of the effects off. However, my squad receives no lag at all or anything.

Hi ZKAT8IT, just a few questions.

- Does this issue become more severe as more clients join the game? (eg. 1 = bad, 2 = worse, 3 = horrific)

- How frequent are the FPS drops (eg. they happen anytime the enemy AI appears, they happen in large areas, etc)

- Do you notice the drop in performance while you are host and on the star map / navigating the main menu or is it only occurring while playing in a session?

Additionally, can you please submit a support ticket with an EE log and a copy of your dxdiag? This could help us narrow down what exactly is going on with the engine when the issue occurs, as well as give us a detailed look at your system specs.

Ideally it would be best if you used an EE log that was retrieved immediately after you have had this issue occur.

Your EE.log can be found at the following location:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe

To retrieve your dxdiag simply follow these steps:
1. Hold down Win + R
2. Type "dxdiag" and click "OK" 
3. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice 

Any additional information that you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Yes, this issue does appear to become more severe as more players join. I ran a test in a defense mission. Running a private game by myself it ran perfectly fine. then had a friend join. I immediately noticed the game become slightly slower in response terms and minor fps drops. My clan isn't on at the moment so I couldn't have more connect gradually to test further. However in the past day or 2 I have hosted with 2 and 3 others making a full squad and the FPS drops were significantly worse than the test with just 1 person connected to me.

The FPS drops are pretty frequent and extremely noticeable when going in for combat ( wihen hosting a full squad ). Which is why I had to turn the effects off. Pretty bloom and particles don't mix well when you're skipping frames and trying to hit things :)

There are no performance issues while on the star map or navigating through it that I could tell with just 1 person. I'll test again later when my clan gets on to provide more info. I have submitted a ticket with all of this info and my logs as well.

Edited by ZKAT8IT

There are no performance issues while on the star map or navigating through it that I could tell with just 1 person. I'll test again later when my clan gets on to provide more info. I have submitted a ticket with all of this info and my logs as well.

I've looked over the logs that you sent us. Unfortunately there are some lingering issues with hosting sessions while a large number of enemy AI are active at any one time. These issues can be found on systems that are slightly stronger than your own, so I believe you are likely experiencing them as well. We are actively working to resolve this and threads like these are very helpful for us.

My two cents:

My computer is slow, 1.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ULV  CPU + 4550M, but runs fine on low most of the time. It's for the most part, CPU bound. I get minor frame lag while hosting 4 person normal missions (anything that's not high level defense). Running high level defense missions will cause actual game lag for me and my teamates (everything goes choppy slow-mo, and the defense timer ticks slower), as well as dropping to frame rates of about 1-4. No such issues on my friend's computer (2x Quad core Core2-era Intel Xeons, GTX660)

Can we have an option, "Prefer not to host", for lower performance computers, with maybe a dialog popup if all four people have that checked? (From what I've seen, people prefer to host if they have enough performance, due to some non-host exclusive bugs and lower lag)

Edited by ChaosBloodterfly