Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kohm Changes Feel Detrimental

Ceryk

The most recent update to the Kohm, trading fire rate for damage, feel like it hurt the weapon more than the helped it. The changes do nothing to deal with the ammo issues this weapon has because of the nature of ammo consumption on this weapon. So all it has effectively done is make it feel like it's agonizingly slow and even more ammo inefficient.

Most of us that use this weapon regularly seem to have discovered that the most effective way to use it is like a semi-automatic or burst fire weapon and only using full auto when necessary for heavy units and larger clusters of enemies. Full auto uses more ammo than the lower spool up levels, so using it all the time is not a good thing.

But because the weapon has been slowed down so much, it takes so long to spool up and fire that you pretty much need to use it in full auto most of the time. That is, unless you drop Tainted Shell and get the full effects of Shotgun Spaz, which makes the windup speed feel like it did before the update. But that means boosting damage and really having to control your fire in order to maintain decent accuracy and largely forgoing full auto all together because it's just too inaccurate at any range besides absolute point blank.

This weapon already required you to combine Shotgun Scavenger with Ammo Mutation and learn how to control your fire rate in order to keep up with ammo effectively for runs longer than 20 or 30 minutes, and I was okay with that. But now I have been forced to choose between accuracy via using the weapon like it's semi auto and never using full auto or better accuracy and only being forced to only use full auto with an irritatingly slow wind up speed.

And in all honesty, controlling my fire rate manually with the faster spool up and never using full auto seems like it saves me a lot more ammo than the slower fire rate does when I'm not using this with Shotgun Scavenger. What ever this weapon needs change wise to make it more effective without Shotgun Scav and Ammo Mutation stacked, it sure wasn't making it fire slower.

Edited by Ceryk

Dont like kohms new firerate? Shotgun spazz too fast? try out not-so-new Accelerated blast! you'll fire faster, but not as fast as with Spazz!, and you can beef up that rather miserable puncture damage to boot!

Ed: Also, the thing hits HARDER now, its garunteed to be more efficient on its ammo.

Edited by Dralkai

Dont like kohms new firerate? Shotgun spazz too fast? try out not-so-new Accelerated blast! you'll fire faster, but not as fast as with Spazz!, and you can beef up that rather miserable puncture damage to boot!

Ed: Also, the thing hits HARDER now, its garunteed to be more efficient on its ammo.

You didn't read more than the first paragraph I'm guessing.

Eh, I think they made it a much better weapon.

One of the problems it had was that it didn't pack a lot of punch early on, but the increased damage makes it hit harder sooner, making it easier to use in a pinch. It's definitely all-round a more useful weapon now.

You can still fire in short bursts since it does not immediately spool down so you can fire a burst release acquire new target and shoot again with full speed, granted its only like one to one and a half seconds  you can hold fire but it helps conserve ammo immensely and does not diminish its usability one bit. Try it out.

Other than that what the guy above me said. 

Edited by Hatzeputt

Eh, I think they made it a much better weapon.

One of the problems it had was that it didn't pack a lot of punch early on, but the increased damage makes it hit harder sooner, making it easier to use in a pinch. It's definitely all-round a more useful weapon now.

I disagree. It wasn't that big of a damage boost when you're talking about a single shot. At higher spool levels, yeah, that's a pretty big difference. But that's why I think faster spool up was better. The faster you're spitting out more pellets, the more damage to do quickly. If if a single shot isn't killing the enemy in the first place, firing slower doesn't help. So I don't think what they were hoping to accomplish is working. Especially since the goal appears to have been an attempt to deal with the ammo issues, which didn't do much of anything in the long run. I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of time it takes to run out of ammo than before the change.

Edited by Ceryk

took it to 50min T4S with pugs (only 2 corrosive auras) yesterday using this http://goo.gl/xY3PJz build. imo 6/10 tainted shell provides just enough accuracy to be efficient @ long range full spool without countering shotgun spazz firerate too much. ammo efficiency also only was an issue in the last 10mins (but was quickly solved with 3 ammo restores), mainly due to the lack of corrosive auras. after the latest buff the weapon now feels and performs perfect imo