The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Fps Dips On My High-End Machine

nicoga3000

I was running an Infested Defense mission last night with 3 other people.  Lots and lots of stuff exploding and particle effects.  When I'm running solo, I get a constant 56-60 FPS on 1920x1080 with everything turned on and maxed.  When running with the group I was last night (again, lots of stuff exploding and abilities being used, etc), I was getting dips in the 25-30 range.  My current rig:

• i7-4770k (running 3.5 Ghz at the moment, will likely OC this to ~4.0-4.2 GHz)
  • EVGA GTX 970 SSC
  • MSI Z87-g45 mobo
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Game running off SSD

I would like to think that my machine can handle this game at max with a bunch of people around, but that was apparently not the case.  Is it a mater of just turning off some effects to maximize performance in groups?  I realize it may be a lot to ask of my rig to perform at a constant 60 FPS at max with 4 people blowing things up, but given that the only real upgrade I can make would be a 980 or to SLI my 970, I can't figure out what the deal is.

I appreciate any possibly help with this!

You probably weren't host and the host was CPU locked.

I did not know this was a thing.  Thanks!  I'm guessing this is tied to random games I join with major latency issues?

I'll give this a read, thanks!

I have the Same

On liset i have 120 fps

Solo i have 70-90 fps

Group i have 30-40 fps

On min Grafik Details

Amd athlon x64 x2 5800+ ( 3ghz)

Msi R7 250 oc 2gb RAM

8 RAM Dual Channel

Acer mainboard

Edited by Maiemi

Let me know what happens when you unpark the cores, op. I don't think its going to be super beneficial though, it has something to do with how warframe is programmed. Try this some time, set your game to private / friends only and do some stuff in a mission. You'll probably notice your FPS stays at solid 60 (with vsync) or high above with it off. Invite a friend and watch your FPS counter as they join in. Your FPS will immediately drop the second they start loading it, despite nothing new happening. All I can think is that the game limits FPS in multiplayer for information related things from client - host to ensure everybody is 'seeing' all the same stuff. I really don't know though. You could try playing with vsync off all the time and probably bake your card, but it might let you get over that 30 fps hump in multiplayer.

It just seems so odd given that my rig is definitely not a budget machine, haha.  I'm pretty sure I should be able to run most anything I want at max settings at the moment.

I'll definitely unpark the cores and OC my processor tonight.  Not sure if the OC will HELP, but there's no reason not to since my machine doesn't run very hot when gaming heavily (~33-35C).  I'll try solo and then try hopping into a defense mission again and see what impact it all has.

I could also try turning off PhysX, Bloom, and Motion Blur.  The PhysX especially may be hurting while playing heavy multiplayer things?

i went in a game with 3 buddies and when i started lagging, the host got a fps drop to around 10 or so (skyping all-toghether) and when i just got dropped from the party, it went back to normal for them ...i really want to know why such connectivity issues make trouble with the way any client pc handle the game

I have the Same

On liset i have 120 fps

Solo i have 70-90 fps

Group i have 30-40 fps

On min Grafik Details

Amd athlon x64 x2 5800+ ( 3ghz)

Msi R7 250 oc 2gb RAM

8 RAM Dual Channel

Acer mainboard

his pc is 10x better than yours, so he should have 10x better fps...

you're getting what your pc can do, he is not

It just seems so odd given that my rig is definitely not a budget machine, haha.  I'm pretty sure I should be able to run most anything I want at max settings at the moment.

I'll definitely unpark the cores and OC my processor tonight.  Not sure if the OC will HELP, but there's no reason not to since my machine doesn't run very hot when gaming heavily (~33-35C).  I'll try solo and then try hopping into a defense mission again and see what impact it all has.

I could also try turning off PhysX, Bloom, and Motion Blur.  The PhysX especially may be hurting while playing heavy multiplayer things?

bloom and blur are bad effects anyway :P physx might be eating your performance tho (especially when there's a lot of explosions)

if unparking doesnt help try turning off physx

oh and update your drivers :P

Edited by Error989

try 3 things

look for viruses(most of the cases for me is the miner)

see if its something with the speed of your internet(try TCP optimizer if it will help)

the third things the game settings but i'm sure with that not "budget machine" you can max out AC unity with no problems

other than that i cant help

Edited by Kostadin

i went in a game with 3 buddies and when i started lagging, the host got a fps drop to around 10 or so (skyping all-toghether) and when i just got dropped from the party, it went back to normal for them ...i really want to know why such connectivity issues make trouble with the way any client pc handle the game

I would love to know if the game does indeed CPU lock as alluded to by Mizar0011 above.

bloom and blur are bad effects anyway :P physx might be eating your performance tho (especially when there's a lot of explosions)

if unparking doesnt help try turning off physx

Yeah, I installed my 970 last night and got giddy...Just went down the list and turned everything on because why not?  Wanted to push my new card to the limit!

However, Motion Blur is annoying, and I don't really care about Bloom.  PhysX is cool I guess, but if it's going to hinder my overall performance in multiplayer, I can live without it.

try 3 things

look for viruses(most of the cases for me is the miner)

see if its something with the speed of your internet(try TCP optimizer if it will help)

the third things the game settings but i'm sure with that not "budget machine" you can max out AC unity with no problems

other than that i cant help

Given that this is a fresh install of Windows (and I run MWB in the background when I'm not gaming), I would be hard pressed to believe I have any sort of virus.  As I said, game runs like butter when playing solo.

And I get fantastic DL/UL speeds being hardwired, so it wouldn't be that.

Settings/game optimization are what I think to be the culprit after various replies in this thread.  :)

Edited by nicoga3000

Yeah, I installed my 970 last night and got giddy...Just went down the list and turned everything on because why not?  Wanted to push my new card to the limit!

However, Motion Blur is annoying, and I don't really care about Bloom.  PhysX is cool I guess, but if it's going to hinder my overall performance in multiplayer, I can live without it.

what gpu did you have before? did you completely delete the old drivers and instal the new ones from nvidia's website? 970 should eat up warframe like it's nothing

Edited by Error989

what gpu did you have before? did you completely delete the old drivers and instal the new ones from nvidia's website? 970 should eat up warframe like it's nothing

I was running a 770.  The upgrade wasn't as big as some folks, but it was indeed an upgrade.  I don't think I went and deleted my 770 drivers, though.  I may have to do a sweep just to make sure.  And I just use the Nvidia tool to make sure that my drivers are up to date, so unless that thing is lying to me, I should be good in that respect.

I was running a 770.  The upgrade wasn't as big as some folks, but it was indeed an upgrade.  I don't think I went and deleted my 770 drivers, though.  I may have to do a sweep just to make sure.  And I just use the Nvidia tool to make sure that my drivers are up to date, so unless that thing is lying to me, I should be good in that respect.

they use the same driver anyway... 770 is a lot slower than 970 (770 is a rebranded 680)

I'd do this:

1. instal the newest gpu driver

2. unpark the cores

3. make sure that vsync is off and multithreading on

and if that doesnt help 4. disable physx

Unparking the cores is always a good idea, however your machine should be able to handle anything warframe can throw at it. To confirm that your machine is good(might also be a problem with internet bandwidth, but seeing your specs, i am under the assumption that you didnt skimp on internet :P) I would start a mission (just to double ensure that youre the host) then invite 3 friends in and play with them. Then have a friend with a...not so great computer, host the mission and see if you replicate the FPS issues. (also, im sure that you have the appropriate router for your internet, but if you have an old router it can and will throttle your internet upload/download speed to what it can handle, causing you to be paying for 50 mbps or whatever but only getting 5.)

You may certainly want to do some extra testing and benchmarks, op. I know I'm slightly above you (4790k, 980 SC), but I was able to hold 40+ FPS at 4k with another mirage in ODS.

230410_screenshots_2015-01-22_00008.jpg

However my previous post held true, playing in single player and I never saw a dip below 55 FPS, otherwise held 60 FPS at 4k res. I really think there is something in warframe that limits perf to prevent replication issues between clients. But still, try the core un-parking and possibly even overclocking. I'm running stock clocks on everything currently.