The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does The Gorgon/surpa Spool Up?

Vanadium

Seriously?

There's no reason for either of the guns to need spooling up. The Gorgon doesn't have multiple barrels, it just has a huge shroud, like the old Maxim MGs. And the Supra is three barrels shoved into a space-car battery. Neither of these things justify the spool up mechanic.

Personally, I'd like these guns to function like the LMGs they are.

Do you guys enjoy this mechanic or would you rather have full/near-full RoF from the start (like the Imperator Vandal)?

Can't say I enjoy the mechanic but it keeps them rather unique. Who knows how they really work, scifi shizzle.

Could say the same about burst-fire weapons, I really really hate them in any games, but nice to keep things different, right?

Edited by CapricaSix

As an avid gorgon user i can say that the spool up helps me shoot it like a semi auto rifle so I can avoid wasting a lot of bullets in a short burst where the target only needs one shot to die.

Also, the spool up of the gorgon maybe associated with a rotary feeding device inside the gun which kinda explains why it has high recoil because LMGs often use recoil to inject the spend cartridge and chamber a new one but the gorgon relies on a rotary feeder like those on a minigun.

Since the recoil is not used at all in the bullet cycling process the entire force generated by the bullet pushes on your shoulder as it passes out of the chamber making it a gun with a high recoil.

On the other hand, the supra should be an exception because nothing explains why it needs to spool up. 

In conclusion. The gorgon has a rotary feeder. The supra has space magic.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

See, funny thing about that is, after you said that I immediately went and looked up LMG's, and found nothing that mentions any spool up times at all

Personally I think of it more as a made-up game mechanic than an actual feature of the gun. It's not like we're using a minigun as the OP pointed out already, that much is true, but also these weapons are quite oversized and simply massive, probably really heavy compared to the other guns.

So an imaginary "firing carefully" thing happening here instead of "nonstop/instant full-auto" while encouraging constant fire at the same time, your character is probably just taking his/her time to get used to the massive recoil of the weapon while trying to maintain a good aim, sort of easing into it. Kind of similar to Ogris charging up a rocket before firing it, I'm no RPG expert (lol) but dudes in the movies always take a second or two before firing a rocket.

That's the only logical explanation I got for it :P but then again, that's just what I choose to believe, not claiming any facts here.

Edited by CapricaSix

• 2 months later...

real LMGs dont spool up like that.  They dont have a slow fire rate that increases with every shot. They have a brief period where they do not shoot at all, and then it fires at full speed. Well fukk the reality right this is a game of space ninjas and aliens.

As a made up game mechanic, I see no reason for it to be here.

I guess it's supposed to make the weapons feel heavy or something, but imperator feels better than these. lol.

The Imperator feels like a pee shooter compared to the Gorgan and the Supra. 

The spool up makes the weapons feel powerful but also helps mitigate the recoil by slowly getting to full fire rate to ease the player into it. 

Even guns with multiple barrels take less than 1 second to spool up in real life. I guess the mechanic is just there to make guns more unique and thematic.

to make the gorgon and supra even MORE crappy than they already are at full spun and to balance the soma(prime) in some way