Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The State Of The Current Jump Mechanics

CharginTarge

My friends and I all share the opinion that the way jumping currently works is fundamentally broken. More specifically, why on earth does it repeatedly occur that when you press jump nothing happens? You're standing in front of a ledge, press jump to get up there and your guy just stands there. Sometimes mashing jump doesn't help and you need to repeatedly run at whatever object you try to scale in the hopes that the game eventually has the mercy to let you up there. Or you run at a gap, mash jump and yet you still fall down.

This should not happen in any game that has a jump function. Period.

If I press jump, then that means that I want my guy to move his &#! upwards, via jumping, climbing or whatever. At the very least, it's an indication that I want something to happen that is contrary to the current situation. The last thing I want to occur is absolutely nothing. Trying to scale a wall gets incredibly frustrating when you repeatedly smash your head against it because your jump didn't do anything. Nor do I want to run at a gap praying to the gods that this time pressing jump actually does something.

This needs to change.

+1000000000

Annoys the holy crap out of me.  It started getting bad with U7 and has gotten worse.  I used to be able to reliably do front flips with a super quick slide/jump combo.  Now I'm more likely to do some awkward shaky straight jump, if I jump at all.  Really kills the whole ninja feeling.

Some offenders that get me everyday:

- jumping while sliding works the first time, and doesn't result in an awkward stand-up jump

- jumping when facing a ledge actually jumps

- jumping while standing on a cryopod actually causes a jump to occur (right now, absolutely nothing happens)

When you face into a wall, or have a 1 foot high railing in front of your shins, and you can't make a jump happen by tapping or holding the jump key, it's incredibly annoying.

Half the time I throw myself into a pit in frustration.  At least that doesn't have negative consequence!

Holy crap +1 on this as well I cant begin to express how often this happens for me, its also annoying when you press jump and it actually does respond for once but instead of jumping it just rolls you in the direction your moving.

The jump is incredibly bugged, together with the sprint.

Next offender: Melee attacks stop working mid mission and theres nothing that will bring them back.

honestly after their last few patches I haven't encountered that as much I may have encountered it once or twice compared to the like 20 times it happened before the patch. I do know that if you switch weapons and try meleeing and then switch back and try meleeing it usually fixes it.

honestly after their last few patches I haven't encountered that as much I may have encountered it once or twice compared to the like 20 times it happened before the patch. I do know that if you switch weapons and try meleeing and then switch back and try meleeing it usually fixes it.

I think its worse on the Glaive.

This is one of the few truly fundamental flaws I find with Warframe in general.  There are a lot of things that need tweaking and/or balancing but the broken jump mechanic makes me want to cry.  I also run into times when I can't get sprinting again after landing jumps and I just end up running at normal speed for several steps, even if i release and repress shift.  These two things being fixed would vastly improve the ninja feeling of the game and make it much better.

From what I can tell, it's like the character model can only stand on flat horizontal planes. As such, inclines are treated almost like stairs, with your character essentially sliding down the them. Because of this, the game thinks you're constantly airborne and therefore cannot jump. This would also explain why your character will sometimes roll instead of jumping. After walking over some terrain, the game may think you're "flying" until you hit the jump button, at which point it thinks you've landed from a long fall, hence the roll. I'd assume other games don't have this problem because the in-game models have proper collisions/physics that allows them to properly "stick" to terrain.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to run into a Radscorpion or Supermutant when running around these space stations...

Edited by Ailith

I actually still have that happening daily.

Kinda suspect it having something to do with dash jump slahing messing up the code.

Sometimes it starts to work again after a few minutes,other times I have to go the whole mission without meele.

From what I can tell, it's like the character model can only stand on flat horizontal planes. As such, inclines are treated almost like stairs, with your character essentially sliding down the them. Because of this, the game thinks you're constantly airborne and therefore cannot jump. This would also explain why your character will sometimes roll instead of jumping. After walking over some terrain, the game may think you're "flying" until you hit the jump button, at which point it thinks you've landed from a long fall, hence the roll. I'd assume other games don't have this problem because the in-game models have proper collisions/physics that allows them to properly "stick" to terrain.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to run into a Radscorpion or Supermutant when running around these space stations...

Yeah i think thats it, that would also explain why i do the slam attack whenever I press melee when going down the stairs

I actually still have that happening daily.

Kinda suspect it having something to do with dash jump slahing messing up the code.

Sometimes it starts to work again after a few minutes,other times I have to go the whole mission without meele.

it could be something with the melee too, I did switch to dual zoren around those last few patches recently. I noticed the bug happened tons on my fang blades

I think its worse on the Glaive.

I haven't tested the glaive I cannot give a opinion on it, but thanks for the update ill definantly avoid it. Already heard enough bad things regarding that weapon. Honestly though! Switching weapons usually does fix it, (not all the time though), I guess I have either been lucky lately or my dual zorens just aren't as affected as my fangs/fragor/etc. were. Definantly is annoying for us speed melee people (ash,saryn, and loki)

Edited by Klaww

When you face into a wall, or have a 1 foot high railing in front of your shins, and you can't make a jump happen by tapping or holding the jump key, it's incredibly annoying.

Half the time I throw myself into a pit in frustration.  At least that doesn't have negative consequence!

Even worse is that apparently there's a vault animation but it's really, really hard to trigger.

I concur. Some movements need tweaking.

- The jump :

I don't know for you but I have a delay of 0.5/1 sec between the press of the spacebar and the actual jump. Really annoying.

Jumping in some places don't work : for exemple the end corpus mission down a big slope where you take a central elevator to the helipad-ish cylinder, if you try to jump from the left side on the little slope between the mountain and the building, it often don't work.

- Slide jump :

Always work the first time, on some tilesets you have troubles jumping a second time (air conducts and rocky ground on grineer missions especially). Also, sometime I can continue doing slide jumps without having to continuingly press sprint, sometime it result in normal jump.

Can't jump while sliding on a rising slope, but it might be intentionnal ?

I will also add that i would love to see the sprint and the dodge functions on two separate key, at least an option for it. as it is, the delay of 1 sec for sprinting is slightly annoying, but it is a minor problem.