Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The State Of The Current Jump Mechanics

CharginTarge

I thought my keyboard was failing me after 15 good years. 

Slightly embarrassing to admit, but I bought a new keyboard because I thought it was failing.

But the new one has the exact same issue and I realized it's the game, not the keyboard.

it could be something with the melee too, I did switch to dual zoren around those last few patches recently. I noticed the bug happened tons on my fang blades

Maybe,like I said Im kinda suspecting it having to do with a too high meele speed of jump slashing messing up the code.

On the other hand I have it happen on Dual Zoren and Fragor pretty much 50/50 so no idea.

+1
I agree jumping while trying to vault up a rail does seem to lead to jump exactly doing nothing.

Another thing is: I guess the check if you are already in air seems to be pretty severe - which especially in ventilation shafts with the curving of the walls or on downward ramps tends to lead to jump just not working. (At least the "already in air"-internal check is me hazarding a guess as to why it behaves that way)

From what I can tell, it's like the character model can only stand on flat horizontal planes. As such, inclines are treated almost like stairs, with your character essentially sliding down the them. Because of this, the game thinks you're constantly airborne and therefore cannot jump. This would also explain why your character will sometimes roll instead of jumping. After walking over some terrain, the game may think you're "flying" until you hit the jump button, at which point it thinks you've landed from a long fall, hence the roll. I'd assume other games don't have this problem because the in-game models have proper collisions/physics that allows them to properly "stick" to terrain.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to run into a Radscorpion or Supermutant when running around these space stations...

Exactly.

When on a slope you can hardly jump for the same reason. Sometimes you might notice that pressing melee while running down a slope however shallow it is (or stairs) you might get the aoe attack of the melee weapon as if you were falling. This is a serious problem as in many cases, ledges are sloped downwards so you cannot jump right when you need to - and you fall into your doom.

(With the Grineer map where you can wallrun in a room (which has a door only openable from inside) you might get stuck if you try melee-jumping into the window and fall down - after respawn your character is still doing the melee-jump animation shooting forward and falling down again, and rinse, repeat... (I got this 2+ times now so I just walk on the wall all the way).

One second you feel like tha greatest space ninja jumping from wall to wall slicing enemies in half. The next you roll down in the abyss because your character has had enough of jumping. Then you fight a couple of moas and instead of jumping over the shockwave your character stubbornly continues slicing his sword and gets stunlocked half to death. But you see an escape! Just jump over that fence and you should be safe. Sorry no: "The railings are there for your protection" and even though you mash the button like a lab rat on crack there simply is no way over that knee high fence. Game over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...