Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scaling Down Mods

Sines314

So, I've kept many of my mods at one less than max rank for a while. This is partially because that results in an even amount of mod points, which means the best savings when putting it in a polarity slot. But it's also because I need to keep them low enough so they don't crowd out other mods.

Now I'm starting to settle into a set of weapons I really like, and I've got the forma and catalysts to take care of them. So I'm starting to be willing to level up their mods more, but it's still annoying when those mods just don't fit where they used to. It's annoying when a frame or weapon can actually get weaker because I leveled up a mod, and now I'm just short of having the space to fit it in. I don't really need that extra 5% Power Strength as much as I need to be able to fit in that Redirection. I'd rather scale my Intesity Mod back 1 or 2 levels to be able to fit in the mods I like. But unless I level up multiple copies of the same mod at varying levels, I can't really manage that. And the only other alternative is to slap on another forma, which isn't so bad in the long run, but I don't want to have to forma a weapon or two every time I rank up a mod. It's not exactly a short term solution.

There doesn't seem to be any reason why in terms of gameplay, lore or DE's income, that players can't be allowed to temporarily scale down mods. It can even be automatic, with no additional interface. If a mod is put into a weapon or frame without enough points, but the mod could have fit at a lower rank, it gets automatically reduced as needed. Place a warning message that the mod isn't operating at full power before the mod screen is closed would be nice to make sure no-one did it by accident.

Obviously, a more complex interface allowing for precise tweaking of each mod would be nice, but that might also take some time. I'd be happy to have the option at all, and it would be a huge quality of life improvement for the game, for everyone but the most diehard veterans who've already Potato'd and Forma'd everything to maximum power.

I suppose there might be a tiny loss of income in terms of XP boosters and Forma bought to help higher level mods fit, but I doubt many people on the fence about paying for XP boosters and Forma are going to not buy those just because of this, and that's going to be matched by players happier with the game for the greater degree of customization for non-max players, and by making leveling mods 'risk-free'.

This doesn't seem a particularly clever or novel idea, though. Has DE ever talked about the idea in a Devstream before? If so, are they working on it? Have they said it's actually harder to program than it might seem? Or have they said they weren't going to do it?

yeah I really wish they'd allow us to downscale mods...... maybe it's not being allowed because of balance reasons idk?

but like... at least 15 of my mods... i have a 2nd copy that's 1 level lower... like I think i have two Barrel Diffusions, two Lethal Torrents, etc.

Most annoying cases is where my weapon/equipment is rank 30, but im one point away from equipping an additional mod, and the only way to do that is to either: downscale a mod already equipped, downscale the mod i want to equip..... but right now the only way is to forma, FOR ONE MORE MOD POINT! ... that's why those 15 mods i have a 2nd copy of come in handy once in a while >_<

I really like this idea, as it allows players to really play with their builds and find one that works without having to farm another Overextended or Blind Rage. However, I think this ability should be reserved for after a mod is maxed out. This requires the resources to be put in, but you get a great tool out of those resources you used. It would also decrease the grind (however slightly), which I think is a good thing to help alleviate the burn-out.

On the flip side, it could decrease forma sales (although seeing how it's so abundant in the void makes me think it won't take a huge hit).

It comes down to fusion cores, they would be useless after certain number since you can just subtract from x and put into y etc

That is what I assume when you mean by down scale.

i think he wants to set it at what level it functions at, not get a refund on cores.

like say you have a rank 10 mod, but only a rank 7 will fit. he wants to be able to tell the game to only use it at rank 7 for now. 

anyhow, its not a bad idea, but it would require the development of an additional interface to handle the commands in a simplistic manner. i am sure the devs are way too busy coming up with more ways to make the game annoying and less fun to be bothered. 

I have copies of almost all of the more common mods with ranks in each point for this very purpose. It's great if I'm slow leveling or can't be bothered to forma anymore. It's convvenient, but a huge pain to scroll through. I would not complain if they brought in a down ranking system or different organizational method.