Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gun Based Warframe

Drakontis

I know that there are quite a few warframes (and probably even more warframe ideas) but can we get a Gun Gameplay enhancing warframe? I don't really know what we'd do with him, but it'd be awesome to get somebody who doesn't specialize so much around melee or ability play, but more around the ranged weaponry he already has. Maybe able to increase damage, add special effects or general buffs to his and friendly weaponry, as well as maybe disabling enemy weapons. 

(I'm adding a previous post I made to this one.)

I was thinking of some skill possibilities

Boom Headshot
1st Skill might be one that supercharges your next shot, making it do a lot more damage. Typical scaling of first skill damaging, with a damage multiplier for head shots or boot shots on infested. This would be one bullet only. So one sniper, pistol, rifle, shotgun blast, anything. Shotguns one would fire a slug type round and hit one enemy. Perfect accuracy for the weapon, so whatever you point at, it hits. It would only apply to the first shot on burst fire weapons, the second/third shots would be regular rounds.

Improvised Ammo
2nd Skill would be for ammo. Using it would cause you to be able to pick up any ammo types for your two weapons. So if you're running really low and can't find your type of ammo, hit the skill and you can use Shotgun and Rifle ammo to fill your Sniper and Pistol, or Shotgun and Sniper ammo to fill your Rifle and Pistol ammo counts. It could also be a group skill letting everyone do it. Increasing the skill level would increase duration and amount of ammunition you gain from pickups. The pickups that aren't your weapon type would give reduced amounts, up to regular amount. So maybe 4 SG / 6 SG / 8 SG / 10 SG sort of scaling for ammo. 

Battle Cover
3rd Skill would be a way to make mobile cover. Increasing the level would increase the size of the cover and the length it stays on the field. Friendlies can pass through it, but enemies will not be able to. It would be able to block any ammo types for a short time, let your shields recharge in firefights and prevent being hit by infested Ancients as well. 

Explosive Possibilities
4th Skill... there are several possibilities. One possibility could be a warping grenade toss. You'd throw it and it would hit the first thing your reticle points to and explodes, typical 1000 damage to everything in its radius. Increasing levels would increase its effective range and would add element types to it. 1st upgrade fire, 2nd upgrade ice, 3rd upgrade shock, all at the same time.
Edited by Drakontis

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/31700-warframe-concept-delta-the-warframe-for-those-people-who-got-lost-on-the-way-to-call-of-duty/

I think this is the closest thing you'll find so far. Sadly it's been lost, but if you could spice it up that'd be great.

Note: I'm not publicizing my own thread. This isn't even my thread, I just think it's a good idea.

A gun-enhancing warframe would make balancing the game significantly more difficult.  Right now, everyone uses the same guns and has the same capability with them, so balancing is just guns vs guns and powers vs powers.  Once you unleash gun frames, things get a lot more complicated.  You can start running into situations such as, weapon is crappy for most frames, but can't be buffed because it would be too good with gunframe synergies and so forth.  And this is followed by drawing lines between players, enormous buff vs nerf wars, and general headaches for the developer.  

Source:  Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which is relevant because Warframe draws heavily on it for inspiration.  

Of course, it's not a foregone conclusion.  DE could manage to add gunframes without running into any of the issues mentioned above.  But it's something they should consider seriously and fully prepare themselves for in advance to taking such a step.  

A gun-enhancing warframe would make balancing the game significantly more difficult.  Right now, everyone uses the same guns and has the same capability with them, so balancing is just guns vs guns and powers vs powers.  Once you unleash gun frames, things get a lot more complicated.  You can start running into situations such as, weapon is crappy for most frames, but can't be buffed because it would be too good with gunframe synergies and so forth.  And this is followed by drawing lines between players, enormous buff vs nerf wars, and general headaches for the developer.  

Source:  Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which is relevant because Warframe draws heavily on it for inspiration.  

Of course, it's not a foregone conclusion.  DE could manage to add gunframes without running into any of the issues mentioned above.  But it's something they should consider seriously and fully prepare themselves for in advance to taking such a step.  

Unless, like discussed in a few thousand other threads, you have a "Gun-based" vs "Power-based" vs "Hybrids" type of Warframes. The first would rely on their weapons to do damage, the seconds on abilities/energy, and the thirds on a mix of both.

Let's not bring this here, there's a few topics for this type of discussion.

I was thinking of some skill possibilities

Boom Headshot

1st Skill might be one that supercharges your next shot, making it do a lot more damage. Typical scaling of first skill damaging, with a damage multiplier for head shots or boot shots on infested. This would be one bullet only. So one sniper, pistol, rifle, shotgun blast, anything. Shotguns one would fire a slug type round and hit one enemy. Perfect accuracy for the weapon, so whatever you point at, it hits. It would only apply to the first shot on burst fire weapons, the second/third shots would be regular rounds.

Improvised Ammo

2nd Skill would be for ammo. Using it would cause you to be able to pick up any ammo types for your two weapons. So if you're running really low and can't find your type of ammo, hit the skill and you can use Shotgun and Rifle ammo to fill your Sniper and Pistol, or Shotgun and Sniper ammo to fill your Rifle and Pistol ammo counts. It could also be a group skill letting everyone do it. Increasing the skill level would increase duration and amount of ammunition you gain from pickups. The pickups that aren't your weapon type would give reduced amounts, up to regular amount. So maybe 4 SG / 6 SG / 8 SG / 10 SG sort of scaling for ammo. 

Battle Cover

3rd Skill would be a way to make mobile cover. Increasing the level would increase the size of the cover and the length it stays on the field. Friendlies can pass through it, but enemies will not be able to. It would be able to block any ammo types for a short time, let your shields recharge in firefights and prevent being hit by infested Ancients as well. 

Explosive Possibilities

4th Skill... there are several possibilities. One possibility could be a warping grenade toss. You'd throw it and it would hit the first thing your reticle points to and explodes, typical 1000 damage to everything in its radius. Increasing levels would increase its effective range and would add element types to it. 1st upgrade fire, 2nd upgrade ice, 3rd upgrade shock, all at the same time. 

Edited by Drakontis

I would love for DE to make super heavy frame. He could have extra armor and shields plus big armor plate on one shoulder, so his block would absorb more dmg and he could wield heavy weapons like scindo in one hand (just animation). Probably wouldn't fit the ninja theme much but damn, that would be cool. He could even have two sets of abilities, one aimed at melee and the other at guns. And instead of acrobacy (too heavy) he could use jetpack/thrusters... yeah, one can dream :D

Anyway OT: Maybe he could have unique passive of some kind? Like the ability to equip two rifles or equip additional gun in melee slot and with separate ammo pool. Or that killing enemies in a cool way (while sliding/wall running) could charge his energy or do bonus damage.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I'm not sure on the rifle instead of a melee. Even though I mainly use my ranged weapons, I still find melee to be useful in some situations. Does anyone else have any advise or suggestions for this frame idea?