Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question To Robo-Savvy Engineers.

Un1337ninj4

What do you think of reverse joint leg units on bipeds?

From my perspective I see they would be interesting as a slight slip in the design makes for a bad center of balance and/or no balance at all, not to mention from this angle it looks to be potentially more expensive to both maintain and construct than more traditional "forward-knee" builds.

That said I love the look, what are the up-sides?

From a realistic engineering standpoint...

The joint is moot. "Walker" or true "ATV" technology does not currently exist. AFAIK, what you see in games and movies is merely cosmetic. We have not built a perfect walking machine with either "knee" joint.

I don't know about robots, but the werewolves in skyrim have reverse joints on their lower legs, and they can run crazy fast. Maybe it would provide more momentum, since the robot could fall forward to become aerodynamic, and it's knees wouldn't get in the way.

Something to keep in mind: birds have backwards knees, and do just fine...

Something to keep in mind A majority of birds can fly. And in that minority of birds who can't, they can either swim or are just so damn big and aggressive that things don't want to mess with them. Either that or they're dead. So in other words, this is the worst example you could possibly give.

From a realistic engineering standpoint...

The joint is moot. "Walker" or true "ATV" technology does not currently exist. AFAIK, what you see in games and movies is merely cosmetic. We have not built a perfect walking machine with either "knee" joint.

Pretty much this.

Those constructs that can walk (that actually exist, of course) do it slowly, clumsily or both.

Hypothetically speaking, I don't think forward or backward joints would make a difference. If we're talking about legs with one main joint (between the thigh and calf), what really matters is how the "thigh" would pull the lower leg.

Concerning balance, that depends entirely on the positioning of the legs and the structure of whatever they're supporting.

And about the cost and maintenance, I'm guessing that it would be about the same as if it were forward joint, because it's really just reversing the way the leg is pointing. Oh, and the way the foot is facing.

Edited by MageMeat

I'd say that it limits your design in some ways

It's a trade off like any other sort of design choice.

You gotta consider what you want your robot to do, and the pros and cons of each choice.

You also have to think about if a bipedal design is the best choice overall.

Two legs are much less stable than 4, and don't offer much in the way of advantages outside of interacting in the human world.

And in that case it is far better to go for a more standard leg design, for familiarities sake.

• 2 weeks later...