Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give A Super "radial Javelin" To The Stalker That Only Affects Mobs. Because This Is Getting Ridiculous.

Renan.Ruivo

For the sake of hilarity, i made this video:

It's a lot of funny hijinks for sure! But the problem here, is that the Stalker is an enemy type that is supposed to go one-on-one with the player. However, he spends far too much time frolicking with the grineer/infested/corpus to even have the time to put a dent on us.

And if you can't fight him, it's simply a matter of running to an area full of enemy mobs that'll easely distract him, and take pot shots at him.

So my suggestion is, give him a Radial Javelin (or ash's ultimate.. forgot the name) to deal with all the mobs, so that he can focus on the player only and not be simply bested by exploting his not so bright AI.

Maybe instead of seemingly teleporting in from some other place, he could teleport you to the place he comes from? Like some fragment dimension that disappears when you kill him - it would be just like the map you were fighting in, but look kinda Stalker-ish [3D shadows moving everywhere, kinda creepy], like the Infected levels are just slightly reskinned versions of all the other tilesets.

Maybe instead of seemingly teleporting in from some other place, he could teleport you to the place he comes from? Like some fragment dimension that disappears when you kill him - it would be just like the map you were fighting in, but look kinda Stalker-ish [3D shadows moving everywhere, kinda creepy], like the Infected levels are just slightly reskinned versions of all the other tilesets.

This reminds me of Legacy of Kain's spectral world.

Hmm, this has a tone of awesome in it. He makes the lights flicker already.. so he could instead of teleporting you just turn the entire enviromnent to a "Shadow version" of itself, where music would stop.. play in reverse.. switch to something in ominous organ music.... or any combination of those.

And maybe mute the sound too, so you can only hear his whispers.. and there would be only he and you. The environmnet would be the same, but both of you would be "cloaked" to everyone else, including AI and players, and those would be invisible to you as well.

This would add to the "creepiness" effect and prevent other people from helping you kill the stalker if he came only for you.

This reminds me of Legacy of Kain's spectral world.

=)

Edited by Renan.Ruivo

So my suggestion is, give him a Radial Javelin (or ash's ultimate.. forgot the name) to deal with all the mobs, so that he can focus on the player only and not be simply bested by exploting his not so bright AI.

Yeah give him that so he can clear every room for me, maybe even endless defense missions.

GG

Far more sensible and interesting suggestion.

+1

The "dimension" or arena would be a map-cell included in every map in case the stalker spawns (locked away inaccessible ofc). The stalker then does the Grineer Commander "pull" to get you into the cell and you commence fighting. If you die, or defeat the the stalker, he despawns and the door opens, releasing you back to the map.

Also to not get on the nerves of your team-mates, either make the whole team end up in the room with the stalker, or give a clear indication to the team that one was "taken".

Edited by Mietz

Yeah give him that so he can clear every room for me, maybe even endless defense missions.

GG

Far more sensible and interesting suggestion.

+1

The "dimension" or arena would be a map-cell included in every map in case the stalker spawns (locked away inaccessible ofc). The stalker then does the Grineer Commander "pull" to get you into the cell and you commence fighting. If you die, or defeat the the stalker, he despawns and the door opens, releasing you back to the map.

Also to not get on the nerves of your team-mates, either make the whole team end up in the room with the stalker, or give a clear indication to the team that one was "taken".

Hmm, this has a tone of awesome in it. He makes the lights flicker already.. so he could instead of teleporting you just turn the entire enviromnent to a "Shadow version" of itself, where music would stop.. play in reverse.. switch to something in ominous organ music.... or any combination of those.

And maybe mute the sound too, so you can only hear his whispers.. and there would be only he and you. The environmnet would be the same, but both of you would be "cloaked" to everyone else, including AI and players, and those would be invisible to you as well.

This would add to the "creepiness" effect and prevent other people from helping you kill the stalker if he came only for you.

=)

I prefer my own version of the "one-on-one" room. No special room, just make the two invisible, add some creepy effects and that's that. Easy to do, makes sense and keeps your team-mates from interfering.

get suck in a shadow world, who is fcking creepy with terrifying music from a piano and forced to a duel with the stalker only let one standing?

sounds awesome

image. . .

1.%2520Hallway.jpg

suddenly you are here . .

and the music starts. .quietly but getting louder  . .

or

at the end of the hallway...

stalker slowly approch you and with every step he take the lights are flackering

man the ppl will S#&$ there pants x3

I prefer my own version of the "one-on-one" room. No special room, just make the two invisible, add some creepy effects and that's that. Easy to do, makes sense and keeps your team-mates from interfering.

How do you handle enemy collision with the player or stalker?

Your proposal is more complicated to perform because it needs essentially a separate layer of the levels to work for the special effects.

How do you handle enemy collision with the player or stalker?

Your proposal is more complicated to perform because it needs essentially a separate layer of the levels to work for the special effects.

Just turn it off. It really is as simple as that.

And while it does need a separate layer, it's not something unheard of. If you played Dead Space 3 multiplayer, you know what i'm talking about.

Edited by Renan.Ruivo

Just turn it off. It really is as simple as that.

And while it does need a separate layer, it's not something unheard of. If you played Dead Space 3 multiplayer, you know what i'm talking about.

My suggestion needs a minimum amount of effort and fulfills the same function.

Your suggestions would require DE to model a completely new set of environments for -all- tiles used for levels. There is no "make special effects" button, if you want goop dripping down walls and shadow-S#&$ going on, then you need to create textures and models that will do that.

Essentially it -doubles- the amount of tiles required for the game. Thats asinine.

My suggestion needs a minimum amount of effort and fulfills the same function.

Your suggestions would require DE to model a completely new set of environments for -all- tiles used for levels. There is no "make special effects" button, if you want goop dripping down walls and shadow-S#&$ going on, then you need to create textures and models that will do that.

Essentially it -doubles- the amount of tiles required for the game. Thats asinine.

Then no effects other than lightining, shading and music. Maybe some sound. There ya go.

The whole "porting to somewhere else" makes no sense. He does not brings you to him, he comes to you

Then no effects other than lightining, shading and music. Maybe some sound. There ya go.

The whole "porting to somewhere else" makes no sense. He does not brings you to him, he comes to you

Then leave it as is, there is no point.

Mietz, on 05 May 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Then leave it as is, there is no point.

Leaving as it is does not resolves the problem presented at the OP. The Stalker is easely defeated by just allowing the mobs to kill him for you. He is too easely distracted.

Stalker is supposed to be a challenge. An one-on-one challenge. No help from squad-mates, no distracting him with mobs, no running from him. Either do or die. You can always use a revive after he kills you anyway.

Not bad idea, an ultimate to clear out mobs would be be a nice idea as long as he can't use it on players.

Not bad idea, an ultimate to clear out mobs would be be a nice idea as long as he can't use it on players.

Exactly. It's to make it so it's always you and him, and nobody else. But the idea developed along the thread to exclude help from squad mates as well.

You can't rule out DE being DE but there might be lore reasons for why he's hostile to both you and the enemies. All we actually know about what goes on in Warframe is what some random AI is telling us, which could be a load of bullS#&$. Maybe another Lotus told the Stalker that Tenno shouldn't mess with the local population or something.

Of course, if Stalker isn't meant to kill the other dudes, he could be fixed by simply flagging him as part of the enemy faction in question.

Exactly. It's to make it so it's always you and him, and nobody else. But the idea developed along the thread to exclude help from squad mates as well.

Now that I think about it though, couldn't you use the stalker to clear mobs for you if he just starts one shotting them en-mass?

The balance is slim here :S perhaps he should just ignore and be ignored by common mobs even if they mistakenly hit each other.

The problem with the Stalker fight is that it isn't really one of skill anyway. He hits extremely hard, doesn't stagger (unlike a player, who can be staggered very easily), cannot be CC'd or slowed down in any way, and has quite a lot of HP. Given how fast he moves and reacts, most simple strategies to defeating him that don't involve ditching him in mobs are simple a case of using some ability to make yourself invisible or immune to damage, then killing him with a high-DPS weapon.

That's not exactly skillful.

For some Warframes it's not even really possible, because they don't have any abilities that help, so you have to get lucky or be packing outrageouly powerful weaponry, for others, it's simply a test of how much energy you have when he hits (I killed him with my Loki very easily recently simply because I was able to stealth twice).

To make him more of an actual challenge, you'd need to reduce the damage he does, increase the damage he can take, and yeah, as this thread says, give him a way to deal with mobs.

I suspect as the game gets more complex, he will inevitably get changed/upgraded, anyway.

Edited by Eurhetemec

The problem with the Stalker fight is that it isn't really one of skill anyway. He hits extremely hard, doesn't stagger (unlike a player, who can be staggered very easily), cannot be CC'd or slowed down in any way, and has quite a lot of HP. Given how fast he moves and reacts, most simple strategies to defeating him that don't involve ditching him in mobs are simple a case of using some ability to make yourself invisible or immune to damage, then killing him with a high-DPS weapon.

That's not exactly skillful.

For some Warframes it's not even really possible, because they don't have any abilities that help, so you have to get lucky or be packing outrageouly powerful weaponry, for others, it's simply a test of how much energy you have when he hits (I killed him with my Loki very easily recently simply because I was able to stealth twice).

To make him more of an actual challenge, you'd need to reduce the damage he does, increase the damage he can take, and yeah, as this thread says, give him a way to deal with mobs.

I suspect as the game gets more complex, he will inevitably get changed/upgraded, anyway.

If you spend enough time studying what lore we know about the game already, you will notice a few things. First, The Grineer and The Corpus are not the real enemy. They are simply scavengers looking to get orokin technology without even knowing what to do with it.

The Tenno, are being guided by The Lotus (The faction. Woman-with-Rebecca's-Voice is not "The Lotus", but only a proxy. Probably even an AI) to prevent orokin technology from being dug out and rediscovered

The Stalker uses what is obvioulsy a Warframe as well, and "defends" the Grineer and the Corpus' respective agendas. But he's clearly not acting on his own, so there's someone else guiding him.

So i deduced that The Grineer and The Corpus, without even knowing, are being used by a Faction or Entity unknown to us just to acquire the Orokin technology, and this unknown enemy is sending Stalkers to deal with us, since we are interfering with their plans.

So just as The Lotus uses us to protect the orokin technology, there's another faction that uses The Grineer, The Corpus to acquire the Orokin Technology and, on ocasion, the Stalkers to push us back.

But this unknown faction is obvioulsy losing this "Secret War". So it is my line of thought that they will make themselves known on U8 and start dealing with us directly. And the Grineer and Corpus with just get caught in the crossfire of a much bigger battle between The Lotus and "The Real Enemy".