Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pvp This Pvp That: What Will Satisfy The Hunger For Competition?

Bionitech

PvP should not even be thought about until this game has more content and the balance for the PvE stuff is perfected.

Adding in PvP now will be a nightmare for the balancing team.

EDIT: And I just read the OP fully and feel silly.

Edited by Guest

Good idea and I agree. Although I'm more worried about the PVP ruining the warframe/weapon balancing rather than lore... Just like Defiance, I'd hate it if our PVE fun was ruined over something like that, because a certain weapon or warframe power is too OP and/or exploitable in PVP.

Personally I'd prefer the Dark Souls style PVP though, it's where you join someone's game when they're going on about their PVE mission and "invade it" {much like the Stalker}. It would be completely optional of course, as to not ruin anyone's fun.

It's either one or the other. If you make it completely optional, no-one uses the mode and DE waste their time implementing an unused feature. The whole beauty of Dark Souls was the difficulty, which beckons you to remain online so you can call for help or face a world of hurt. Warframe has the potential to create a similar environment.

That said, the lag issues caused by the player host / client architecture that both games use probably won't make it all that entertaining for anybody.

It's either one or the other. If you make it completely optional, no-one uses the mode and DE waste their time implementing an unused feature.

Not necessarily... And why wouldn't anyone use it exactly, that's just a wild speculation. If you force everyone into PVP like that, lots of people will quit the game as it's not for everyone and it will ruin PVE for most, that's a fact. Take Resident Evil 6 for example, they've done well with the Agent Hunt mode which is similar in a lot of ways yet there are many people host their game with that option turned on, then there are those who just want to enjoy the game without such "interruptions" - to put it mildly.

I loved Dark Souls and how difficult and exhilarating it was, but the PVP in there wasn't anything more than a major nuisance for me personally, to be invaded every now and then by some high level guy with either level 999 infinite health or great gear who's bored and trying to exploit his way through game mechanics and have fun at others' expense. It's quite good in theory if it's done right though, that's why I suggested it. As you said Warframe has lots of potential too, but this will only work out for only a handful of people if you turn the game into a trollfest where anyone can invade anyone and mess with their game as they like. If I wanted that, I'd play Arma :P ...and for your information, it's optional in Dark Souls as well, you can just not use any Humanity and stay undead, and never be invaded. Only downside is the inability to host/join a party.

But yeah, lag is always a problem, even in DS where people instakill you with their swords from 50 metres away...

Theoretically it is a possibility down the line, but the devs really wont be doing anything with PvP anytime soon. This is where the competative scoring comes in that has been mentioned. It is really the best option for those who want to "play against" other players or for clansd who want to compete. Having challenging that come up in a similar way to alerts only they last the whole day and having events like we had this last weekend only designed for clans. Scores are kept and after a set of challenges or after the event is over the scores are tallied and the top 3 are named. I am sure some people will want prizes for competing in such an event so the top 3 could get a stack or credits or some reasources, whatever works.

This way nothing is actually taken away fro the current PvE element or the frame and weapon balance however a good competition that fits the Tenno lore is created. And again, for the players who want hardcore PvP they can go play Battlefield 3 or something.

Edited by S777

I'd love to go on an archery range chanllenge thingy with my paris, firing when moving at a moving target. I think I'm pretty good at that already and I'd like to see how I match against other paris users ^^

I for one have been fairly against having PvP in Warframe at all.

However, between this and the Dark Souls-esque "Game Invasion" I am somewhat torn.

Warframe is a fairly unusual game, and I feel that IF PvP MUST be added, it should be done in a fairly unusual way. So the idea of having a "Tenno Olympics" really appeals to me. And I DO mean Olympics. Like, we'd need Skiing (slide races), High Diving (not even into water, just jump off a particularly high platform and try to land on, I dunno, a target), Curling. Or heck, Glaive Pinball. Silliness, all in all, but it would certainly be something unlike most any other game in the genre.

And of course as a lover of Demon's & Dark Souls, I LOVE the Realm Invasion mechanic, but there are balancing issues to be had. Maybe no more than one Invader at a time, and only against people of a very similar level. Or give him some significant disadvantage... Say, make him/her able to see a Bright Glowing Spot (even across the map?) that represents her/his target, but other than that and some of the architecture, is effectively blind- Can't see NPCs, can't see other players, but his target... his target is the singular objective, and he/she cannot be redirected. Much like the current Stalker, really.

EDIT: I dunno who here has a PSVita, and of those, people who have the game Soul Sacrifice, but I'd envision it to be more-or-less like the "Minds-Eye" view in that, but you can't see anyone highlighted but your target.

Something like this: MindsEye.jpg

...Except more washed out and, again, only your target is Outlined/Highlit.

Edited by Fraggoth

There is one simple word that will help incorporate a player vs player element that won't hinder the lore or the essential goal of the Tenno:

MINI-GAMES

That's right. I am talking Mario Party/Olympics style minigames fit for the Tenno that will test their strength, endurance and survivability in order to mold the perfect soldier for the toughest missions. 

It will be skill based and the only competition involved is making the op of the score sheet at the end of each mini-game session (from training to field performance). 

It would be relevant because it means training and toughening the Tenno through feats that will help pair the right combatants into groups as you're circling the systems. You always have the option of going solo or tagging along with other randomized groups, and all that this pseudo-PVP will do is refine the individual players skill and satisfy the hunger for improving your score against others. 

It won't deviate from the Lotus' goal as it means making the Tenno more ready for dangerous missions, as it'd be a training session on par with the chosen difficulty.

You will be paired with a group of players and you will compete in these minigames, never firing on each other or engaging in combat with each other. You will be paired depending on the frame, and then the minigame. 

You like tanky frames? Feats of strength: Charging and moving a heavy object across, being able to butt heads with near boss class dummies and so on. 

You like stealthy frames? Hide and Seek: Find the other Tenno while trying to avoid each other, taking turns stealing an artifact without detection. 

You like caster frames? Skill and Power tests: How much power can you dish out and how well can you clear a room, in addition to target practice. 

Of course, there would also be races, obstacle courses and shooting practice to help train the Tennoo to become stronger soldiers. You build character and a sense of achievement, not to beat the guy next to you but to become personally stronger fit for the more elite groups that have the guts to take on the most distant and far-reaching planets. 

What do you guys think? Still needs work but as far as "pvp" goes, I think party style minigames would be the way to go!

HOg2Zeh.jpg

In case anyone was wondering lore wise it wouldn't make any sense that we are fighting a war with 3 factions and near extinction. Why would the last of a faction fight each other?

The same reason humans fight wars in real life.

The same reason 2 endangered animals will still fight each other even if that leads to extinction.

Different opinions and fighting for scarce resources.

That however is not the topic for this thread.

This thread is talking about friendly competition like the olympics.

In that case, the reason is simply for sense of pride/accomplishment , honour, intrinsic rewards and/or extrinsic rewards like money/credits.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

The same reason humans fight wars in real life.

The same reason 2 endangered animals will still fight each other even if that leads to extinction.

Different opinions and fighting for scarce resources.

That however is not the topic for this thread.

This thread is talking about friendly competition like the olympics.

In that case, the reason is simply for sense of pride/accomplishment , honour, intrinsic rewards and/or extrinsic rewards like money/credits.

I know just thought I would point that out though