Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wastelands Of Earth (New Tileset/mission Concepts)

Darktigr

This concept is based off the Cicero event. It takes place in patches of dead vegitation and wildlife that were wiped out by some of the toxin injectors that were succesful in dispensing the toxin. These patches are deadzones, Wastelands.

There you will find grineer outposts set up with specialized enemies built for the harsh climate. Similar to Arid, or Frontier soldiers, they have a unique look, they have dark grey to black colored armor, with tattered cloth and gas masks on to protect from the remaining toxin.

The setting of the Wasteland is grim. The entire area is covered in ashes from dead forrest life. Skeletons of dead animals, rotting kubrow, and other animals you choose to toss into the mix. There could also be starving or dying animals roaming the Wasteland scavenging for scraps. The area is flat with whithered dead trees scattered around, and grineer encampments and buildings set up, to colonize the deadzone. Hills and thick forrest can be seen far off into the distance. This is the closest picture i could find to my concept based off of Fallout 3

wasteland-cut.png

The Design of the Grineer and their Structures lay with that of the developement team.

A possible mission design or even possible event based mission to introduce the new tileset could be something I thought of called Rebirth Missions. This is where you drop into the grineer outpost and the lotus drops a Machine (similar to the excavator) called the Rebirth machine. When it is deployed, it will begin to pump micro-organisms into the ground to revitalize the ground and bring new life to the Wasteland that Hek has created. You defend the machine from counter-attacking Grineer Troops. However to add a twist to it, every several minutes, the Lotus will inform you that the Grineer have targeted artillery (or space railguns?) on you and are planning to fire and eliminate you and the machine.

At this point it takes a combined team effort, to sacrifice your shield power to move the rebirth machine to another area, before the strike hits. When you move the machine you will have the option to extract or continue, at which point you will also earn a prize. The type of defense will also be different. The size of these outpost are small, only a few buildings. I was thinking of something like a city defense type of scenario where in the distance you see grineer ships drop off troops and they will emerge from behind rocks or other places. You will also be able to get inside building and shoot from windows and rooftops, or fight in the streets. Enemies will try to flush you out of the buildings so be prepared.

So this my conclusion to my Wasteland Concept. Please Let me know what you all think, or suggestions you may have. Thank you for reading! :)

I like Fallout as much as the next guy, but I can't see how this would differentiate itself from the Phobos tileset all that well.

The Evolution Engine does not handle big, open spaces well (which is why tiles are a thing and why open-space archwing is made of relatively small spheres), so you'll never get that real, Gamebryo-powered wasteland feel that Fallout gives you.

Phobos is what Grineer settlements in a harsh environment looks like. Adding a few dead things here and there doesn't really make it all that different, and making it look all that horribly different from Phobos would just look ridiculous. I mean, why would they have different methods for making settlements in a wasteland that they poisoned compared to a wasteland that never had plants there to begin with?

The new gamemode has merit, though. Sounds like a great balance between excavation and hijack, and that's a really cool idea. Maybe flesh that idea out a bit and make a thread just about it. Trying to tie it in to a "be like Fallout" tileset weighs it down a lot.

The gamemode sounds hella fun (I love Survival variants), and it seems like your idea of the tileset is a darker, more grim Phobos essentially (Phobos is much too bright anyway, IMO). First thing I thought of was Chernobyl with the only buildings being small, low, and very boxy. You could almost skin over the Corpus Ice Planet tileset with earthy, stony textures and I would play it nonstop. Maybe dense tangles of mostly dead trees forming tunnels with impenetrable canopies...could be some intense firefights in there. As long as I get to camp in a small building defending against hordes Nazi Zombies style, I'm happy.

In addition, the gamemode taking place in cities and such would be so amazing. Perching in a half destroyed building's window popping Grineer heads with my Latron Prime while my squadmates set up Soma's and such behind rubble and lay waste sounds like what I've wanted from the current Earth tileset for...forever. Not every tile needs parkour routes, sometimes you just want a good ol' killing field.

This is niegh impossible. DE hasn't even finished the tilesets for all other planets, I find it unlikely they would abandon Earth's. Especially Kubrow are from there, so where would you get those then? Im tired so I didn't read the text, but the idea can still work on other planets, like Mars.