The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Platinum Packages!

FateZero

That's fair, my post was written shortly after reading a half-dozen posts based off of entitlement, so I apologize for that statement.

However, your opinion of the mods in question and how effective you find them to be does not in turn mean DE is manipulating people by enticing them with "junk" or altering drop rates to force people to spend money on these packages.

It's their call.

The response they get through purchases will determine if it was a good move or not.

If it makes you feel better, I'd dislike it even if the mods were average, or good even. And if they were too good, it'd also lean into the selling power spectrum, and that's a place we don't want this game to go, obviously. That's why I keep going back to cosmetics, because you can't screw that up, it's not power, it's (probably) not junk, it's just all around so much better than this.

I'll be a little saddened in the playerbase though, if I'm right and this does convince some new or misinformed players into spending more money than they otherwise would.

Let me ask something.

if DE is offering discounted Platinum at higher pricepoint, it is okay. Large purchases result in more discount. But if they add something else on top, something that can be obtained ingame just the same, something that can be received by using the mod packs from the store, so something that can be accessed through others means just the same, just an addition to the package, as a tiny "Thankies!" ... it is bad?

Let me ask something.

if DE is offering discounted Platinum at higher pricepoint, it is okay. Large purchases result in more discount. But if they add something else on top, something that can be obtained ingame just the same, something that can be received by using the mod packs from the store, so something that can be accessed through others means just the same, just an addition to the package, as a tiny "Thankies!" ... it is bad?

I get the angle you're trying to take, but I'm not sure you see mine. I'm also not sure how many times I can keep repeating myself. Whether intended or not, and I lean towards it being intended, it looks like an attempt to lure people into spending more money for these hyped, junk mods. I've already seen at least one thread where someone thought you could only get them with platinum.

I've also said before that there are better "thankyous" they could do than brand new mods almost no one has and many people want.

I get the angle you're trying to take, but I'm not sure you see mine. I'm also not sure how many times I can keep repeating myself. Whether intended or not, and I lean towards it being intended, it looks like an attempt to lure people into spending more money for these hyped, junk mods. I've already seen at least one thread where someone thought you could only get them with platinum.

I've also said before that there are better "thankyous" they could do than brand new mods almost no one has and many people want.

What does a person being uninformed about the situation have to do with the facts?

I get the angle you're trying to take, but I'm not sure you see mine.

I do see your angle, I simply disagree with it. Even if the mods would be Target Cracker, Staggering Hit and .... Thief's Wit. They are mere additions, and the deal is the discounted Platinum.

The mods attached to the platinum deal are like getting the little extra 'tester' bottle of a related alcohol when you buy the main bottle in question.

It is purely a 'tag along' item, offered as a minor incentive.

As Ced points out, quite legitimately, the price point here is about the platinum itself.  The extra mods are just additional 'thank you' items from where I sit.

Sorry to disagree Xrylene, but I think Ced's interpretation is dead on.

I do see your angle, I simply disagree with it. Even if the mods would be Target Cracker, Staggering Hit and .... Thief's Wit. They are mere additions, and the deal is the discounted Platinum.

Right.

What I don't get is the amount of passion and disdain (and he will deny of course) he has for the new platinum pack.  Perhaps he's scared that he IS going to be subject to the RNG and sour that he'll actually have to play the game more to increase his chances of geting the new mods that were just released?  It just doesn't make sense to have such feelings towards a few mods that are given free as a part of the platinum purchase.  I'm sure he'll play it off saying he doesn't want them..  Then why waste your breath on the issue at all?  It's not even worth talking about then right?

I feel that someone buying these platinum packs and if they were buying THAT MUCH, would have played the game enough to love it that much to want to fork out that much.  The allure of buying more is the discount.  They wouldn't be doing it out of being naivety for three mods, etc.

Edited by sushidubya

Probably not wise to put words in his mouth but his concern is DE is trying to manipulate people into buying the new packages by using these new mods as bait.

New players wouldn't know the mods are "junk" so they will buy more platinum than they need because of the mods being attached.

Old players would buy plat they don't need just to get these mods because the drop rates are so low. Among some other concern that DE made them as low as they are on purpose so people would feel forced into buying plat if they ever want the mods.

In my opinion.. they are just adding them as a 'thank you' as Ced mentioned. No malicious intent, just conspiracy theory crap that people with too much time seem to dwell on.

Edited by Kishward

Probably not wise to put words in his mouth but his concern is DE is trying to manipulate people into buying the new packages by using these new mods as bait.

New players wouldn't know the mods are "junk" so they will buy more platinum than they need in because of the mods being attached.

Old players would buy plat they don't need just to get these mods because the drop rates are so low. Among some other concern that DE made them as low as they are on purpose so people would feel forced into buying plat if they ever want the mods.

In my opinion.. they are just adding them as a 'thank you' as Ced mentioned. No malicious intent, just conspiracy theory crap that people with too much time seem to dwell on.

The mods not being worthwhile is a separate issue and a subjective one.  I personally really enjoy my Burstron rifle that many people refer to as total garbage.  If I enjoy using it, it has value to me.  Mods and their uses are similar in how they reward or support a play style, in my opinion, though some are unquestionably mathematically superior when comparing apples to apples statistically.

By all means, if the mods are 'junk' let's address that and make them workable.

Conversely, if they were the 'best mods', and they were Flow and various multi-shots, what then would the rallying cry have been?  How does the basic assumption here change?

I for one cannot wait to nuke my account from Grineer asteroid base #1247, as soon as the lower orbital account cannon is ready to fire.

This is what it will feel like:

And when that happens, I will lose 2x Rifle Multishot rank 4, 1x Pistol Multishot rank 4, 2x Hornet rank 6, 2x Serration rank 7, maxed Flow, Reach, Streamline, Focus, maxed abilities, tailored 'Frame mods, multiple maxed or high-up rifle/pistol/melee mods, multiple potatoes and all artifacts. Along with: all frames, all long guns and all pistols at 30, plus the majority of melee weapons maxed or at least around 15. Plus about 250 Fusion Cores from CBT / pre-U7, and about 4 million credits.

RNG? Bring it.

I don't care about those mods, I think it's cool that you can circumvent a little grind. Even if they are specific and maybe not the best things ever. Handspring caters to people hating stunlock. Retribution kills Rollers. Thunderbolt was a community request. All good in the hood.

But if your example is the case, people could be turned off if they thought that Target Cracker and Thief's Wit were something special so they opted to buy a better package. Im only saying DE needs to be careful what they offer so they dont turn off people. I would never want to hear "Well this sucks i just opted to spend 40 more dollars to get Target Cracker thing-a-majig, but the guy I killed in my first mission dropped one what a rip off".

New players wouldn't know the mods are "junk" so they will buy more platinum than they need because of the mods being attached.

I wouldn't say it's putting words in my mouth, I slightly reworded the same thing several times which pretty much amounts to that anyway.

I've also stated that it's bad whether it's intentional or not, the way they did it does look intentional to me, but I'll admit it could simply not have been thought of at all. The thing is though, whether it's "malicious" or not, the point on new players stands. As is, I feel as if a lot of the platinum prices trick new players to begin with, such as the prices on the weapons, and if you look at new weapons through the arsenal screen rather than the marketplace, a new player would think the majority of weapons were platinum only, which may lead to an impulse buy due to not knowing any better. I know that for me it wasn't readily obvious, especially with the blueprint versions also being placed a few pages in on the market. While I didn't buy into that, I've already heard of other people who thought the same thing, and I imagine a possibility of it influencing a few people into purchases they might  not otherwise make.That probably isn't intended to be malicious either, but it's still bad for new players.

Oh, and Sushi, you're right on one thing. I do have disdain for how they did that, and I am passionate about it, as I am in pretty much every debate ever, I tend to get pretty involved. But you don't quite get it either, I've stated before that it does not affect me, in the sense that I do not intend to purchase them, and never will, and I do not care for the mods either. The reason why I argue thus has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with what I see as a bad idea, and I'm naturally very critical of anything that seems to be designed badly. I stated this earlier when another person in the thread tried to attack me, but it has nothing to do with selfishness or self interest.

Edited by Xrylene