Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bp ? Alerts Should Be Scheduled, Once-Per-Day On A 24 Hr. Timer.

Bonemiser

So... at 4am when I'm sleeping and at 4pm when I'm at work. 

I think this would probably conflict pretty heavily with the game's source of revenue.

Pretty much the same problem as #2.

As to your first point it wouldn't really effect you any differently than the current alert system. You would just know what you were going to be missing beforehand as opposed to after the fact. It would however give other people an extra shot that they normally wouldn't have.

As for points 2 and 3, I really can't attest as to how it would impact DE financially as i don't have access to their business and sales records. Obviously DE isn't going to implement something that they believe would negatively impact their sales, but I think the majority of players who put in money to buy an item would probably end up putting that same money in anyway and use it for other things such as slots / more potatoes / whatever. But again since I don't have access to their sales records, and am not an economist or psychologist, I can only guess.

Edited by Skoll85

As to your first point it wouldn't really effect you any differently than the current alert system. You would just know what you were going to be missing beforehand as opposed to after the fact. It would however give other people an extra shot that they normally wouldn't have.

That was kind of my point, it's not really solving the time zone problem.

As for points 2 and 3, I really can't attest as to how it would impact DE financially as i don't have access to their business and sales records. Obviously DE isn't going to implement something that they believe would negatively impact their sales, but I think the majority of players who put in money to buy an item would probably end up putting that same money in anyway and use it for other things such as slots / more potatoes / whatever. But again since I don't have access to their sales records, and am not an economist or psychologist, I can only guess.

I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that if you let people pick out an item they want on a regular basis they'll feel less compelled to pay money for said item.

RE: OP

Real Life: Ask anyone who has served – conflict can easily hit when you are not expecting it.  Why should alerts be any different? 

Let’s not forget, the game/war will not and should not be tailored to YOUR lifestyle.  This game is global.  To only have alerts while you have free time after work means the majority of the folks over seas will be in be sleeping during them. Not fair to them.

Multiple, random times per day is best.

Recently – play for an hour to test this – you are bound to see THREE or more alerts.

Fluff: Like real life, discoveries of enemy activity that needs to be dealt with pronto is rarely during a time that is ‘convenient’ to the soldiers that must deal with the problem.  Deal with it.

Bottom line: there are so many alerts these days that I never feel like I am missing out.  Seriously, a minimum three per hour I am experiencing.  How can you complain???

That was kind of my point, it's not really solving the time zone problem.

I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that if you let people pick out an item they want on a regular basis they'll feel less compelled to pay money for said item.

I will concede that the first point is not a perfect solution and would still leave many players without items they desire. I do think it would quiet a lot of those complaining about the current alert system, at least temporarily.

As for picking out an item on a regular basis, I could see it having some influence on sales, and the frequency would definitely have to be carefully considered, but I don't see it having that much more influence on sales than regular alerts already do. Those same people who would think "Why buy an item when i can just pick it out for free later?" are likely the same ones who already think "Why buy an item when there's a chance of an alert popping up and getting it for free?" I would be very curious to see what percentage of players are spending platinum on the glaive and helmets.

I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative, just trying to explain my reasoning.

Edited by Skoll85

Popping in long enough to make it known that as far as I've been made aware the Alert system isn't changing any time soon.

End of rine. For now.

How dare you insult great game developer.

Ding dong bannu

Rine ends here

______ <--rine

You guys are both being pretty cool about it.

I figure a decent enough solution is to just answer to the issue that is timezones randomly getting boned. Instead of strictly scheduling alerts I figure it'd be nice if they just made sure to add some sort of catch that says "It is been X hours since the last reward alert. Next one will have an alert." and acts on it.

Allow them to trigger randomly - but set it up so that there is a sort of  maximum distance between alerts. Like 3-4 hours, for starts. Allow alerts to happen whenever, but set it up so that the longest period between rewards is 3-4 hours.

This means that, in a sense, it means there will always be at the very least a specific amount of alerts in one day for you regardless of time zone. Plenty of rolls of the dice to catch and if luck is on your side you might get more.

You guys are both being pretty cool about it.

I figure a decent enough solution is to just answer to the issue that is timezones randomly getting boned. Instead of strictly scheduling alerts I figure it'd be nice if they just made sure to add some sort of catch that says "It is been X hours since the last reward alert. Next one will have an alert." and acts on it.

Allow them to trigger randomly - but set it up so that there is a sort of  maximum distance between alerts. Like 3-4 hours, for starts. Allow alerts to happen whenever, but set it up so that the longest period between rewards is 3-4 hours.

This means that, in a sense, it means there will always be at the very least a specific amount of alerts in one day for you regardless of time zone. Plenty of rolls of the dice to catch and if luck is on your side you might get more.

Imma say they should just leave it as is, that suggestion is just prone to more complaints. It might be that the 3-4 hour gap (randomly) favours one region more than another with more guaranteed drops than another region. For example, say the increment is indeed 3, and there is a drop at 6pm in region1, then another at 9pm and another at 12am. But then say that 6pm in region1 is 8pm in region2, so another drop at 11pm then at 2am. (yes this is all assuming there are no more ? alerts happening in between those ones, which is not all too unrealistic)

Clearly this has randomly worked out to favour region1 more than region2, simply because of when that first 6pm drop hit. Over time yes, random is still random and each region would statistically share this region favoritism equally, but I don't think it's the best solution to the perceived problem (personally I think the current alert system is fine).

Edited by MrMagoolachub

Imma say they should just leave it as is, that suggestion is just prone to more complaints. It might be that the 3-4 hour gap (randomly) favours one region more than another with more guaranteed drops than another region. For example, say the increment is indeed 3, and there is a drop at 6pm in region1, then another at 9pm and another at 12am. But then say that 6pm in region1 is 8pm in region2, so another drop at 11pm then at 2am. (yes this is all assuming there are no more ? alerts happening in between those ones, which is not all too unrealistic)

Clearly this has randomly worked out to favour region1 more than region2, simply because of when that first 6pm drop hit. Over time yes, random is still random and each region would statistically share this region favoritism equally, but I don't think it's the best solution to the perceived problem (personally I think the current alert system is fine).

A fair point. My suggestion is very rough - I haven't talked about it much so there really hasn't been a chance to hone the idea into something worthwhile sounding.

I figure ultimately the goal is to create a situation where ALL time zones are going to see at least X amount of rewards in a day to prevent unreasonable dry spells. You set it up so that even on a horribly bad day for alerts there is still going to be a predictable minimum 'rolls of the die' every time.

I mean, going back to '3 hour maximum gap' that would mean that in 12 hours there will ALWAYS be at least 3 chances to see an alert pop - but there is also a fairly good chance you could end up with significantly more then that.

As for whether or not a players schedule would allow them access to more chances or less I don't think that'll ever be something you could truly help when relying on RNG to dish those rewards out. My suggestion is meant to simply ensure that a region doesn't go an entirely day without an alert at all only for the next timezone to hit its prime hours to get multiple.

I like the alert system as it is. It's annoying to miss things, but that's life. The random nature also means luck could be with me and I could get everything I ever wanted in a weekend. Luck is rarely with me, but I can dream... and get a wonderful app for my phone to make loud noises at me whenever there is an alert (unless I choose to shut it off, like when I'm sleeping or otherwise not at my computer). Warframe Nexus is amazing.