The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Evolving Weapons

-HAKUNA-YOUR-TATAS-

Upon building my Bolto from a rarely used lato, I was thinking that more weapons should "evolve" within the foundry. I'm not simply talking about akimbo. I mean something like lato to Bolto to dual barrel Bolto, etc. The skana could also evolve into a different sword, the has an even faster fire rate, that could be leveled all over again and so on. Maybe one of the requirements for this process is to use a level 30 weapon?

People who want to skip farming the blueprints for the evolved weapons could buy finished versions via platinum.

Thoughts? Ideas for new weapons evolved from old/starting weapons? Please share here.

=D

Edited by sushidubya

Think having a few of those can be interesting. But having EVERYTHING like that may become a disgusting mess.

e.g. evolving Lato Mk1 to Mk2 to Mk3 to ... .. to Mk 10 then to Super Lato Mk1 to Mk2 to ....

They should increase the cost of weapons, scale the difficulty of enemies and increase the damage/effectiveness of the high teir weapons. Would mean that buying a teir 2 weapon is actually useful in terms of carrying you to a point when you need a tier 3. Currently there's no reason not to just save and get a derpcannon because the cost isn't really that high.

While I can see evolving a weapon appealing, the way to acquire them would have to be difficult, very limited or one off.

Say each time someone levels up or seasonal events.

Problems are:-

Will DE due to having to make these weapons and design the game to implement them which will mean they will want some sort of compensation.

This will mean they will most likely have them up as platinum items.

If made exclusive to rare events etc we will get kids and man-children posting in outrage on these forums when they miss out.

Think having a few of those can be interesting. But having EVERYTHING like that may become a disgusting mess.

e.g. evolving Lato Mk1 to Mk2 to Mk3 to ... .. to Mk 10 then to Super Lato Mk1 to Mk2 to ....

Agreed, it would be kinda crazy to do super, ultra, mega, infinite lato, etc.  I'd love to see weapons change in a similar way from a Lato to a Bolto, that kind of a difference.

All very good points above too!

Edited by sushidubya

I think you should be able to upgrade your weapon in the foundry at least 1 or 2 times. You can only upgrade your weapon when it's rank 30 and when you have a specific tenno rank also.

So if you want to upgrade Skana, it needs to be rank 30 and you need to have rank 3 mastery.

The weapons would only get a small dps buff. The things that should change most are the special features. For example, Heat weapons would actually come into their identity as fire weapons as you upgrade them.

I think your idea is definitely possible and DE could add more blueprints and crafting time. :) People would rush for convenience and everyone wins.

Warfames give you passive bonusses as they level up (health, shields, etc).

Weapons could do the same with their own attributes (damgage, precision, firerate, etc.).

Warframes are bio/energy armor. They upgrade on their own. Weapons should be manually upgraded and could even take different upgrade paths so DE wouldn't have to rack their brains to create a new sword when they can alter an existing one into an upgrade. The only exception might be Mire but it should still be upgraded manually.

Edited by Stygi

if any one of you have played BTD then you will understand me a little better. lets say I have a paris bow and i get it to the level of 30 i gain the option

to "evolve" it. if you click yes it gets sent to your foundry to be upgraded once you have the parts to do so and an orkin cell. then after countless hours of playtime i get

level 60 on the bow where in wich i get the option to stay on the "path" im on (making it a compound bow )or go to a new one say a crossbow insted of

a bow it could have more damage then the bow and less drop but in turn have a slow reload time and smaller clip. this continues on untill level 90

depending on which "path" you chose you get the best weapon for that gun. and the same goes for melee and warframes.

DUAL GORGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sir this does not belong in this thread so if you be so kind as not to post it here agian. besides the gorgon is a massive two handed gun so it would be impossible even for the tanno with the exseption of possibly the rino and frost

Hahaha. Touché, but I'm talking more about the lato to Bolto type of transformation. What about a Braton to something else?

It's not all that silly we already have it in the game I would just like to see it developing further.

We already have skins and other counterparts.

Akimbos even.

Why do you want more?

if any one of you have played BTD then you will understand me a little better. lets say I have a paris bow and i get it to the level of 30 i gain the option

to "evolve" it. if you click yes it gets sent to your foundry to be upgraded once you have the parts to do so and an orkin cell. then after countless hours of playtime i get

level 60 on the bow where in wich i get the option to stay on the "path" im on (making it a compound bow )or go to a new one say a crossbow insted of

a bow it could have more damage then the bow and less drop but in turn have a slow reload time and smaller clip. this continues on untill level 90

depending on which "path" you chose you get the best weapon for that gun. and the same goes for melee and warframes.

That would be an awesome way to go about it.  Different upgrade paths, to choose from, an extension beyond mods alone.  i.e.) for shotguns, to choose more accuracy vs. spread, etc.  For the Paris, lighter arrows that have more range, less dip, but less damage and vice versa.

This level of customization would take Warframe to another level.

We already have skins and other counterparts.

Akimbos even.

Why do you want more?

Well I speak particularly about the way the lato changes into a bolto, as I'm sure you're familiar with them, it's quite a dramatic change, it's allot more than simply doubling of the same weapon decreasing accuracy, but doubling fire rate/damage, etc.

Skins aren't as dynamic as this.  They change the look, I'm not sure if they change any of the properties of the weapons.  It's an idea that I think would increase the depth of the modding experience and give end-game players a reason to keep going.

That would be an awesome way to go about it.  Different upgrade paths, to choose from, an extension beyond mods alone.  i.e.) for shotguns, to choose more accuracy vs. spread, etc.  For the Paris, lighter arrows that have more range, less dip, but less damage and vice versa.

This level of customization would take Warframe to another level.

These variations of weapons sound like something that should be done by modding, and not by creating entirely new weapons. Lighter arrows with faster travel time could be a mod for the paris, for example. The recent thunderbolt mod is an example of how extensively you could modify a weapon- turn a stealthy single-shot killer into a crowd-control explosive weapon. 

...Accuracy vs spread? Wha?

...Accuracy vs spread? Wha?

Those are examples only.  To clarify on accuracy vs. spread since you seem confused about those two words.  A more accurate shotgun would have a more concentrated cone of fire, whereas a greater spread would hit more enemies (close to each other of course) and have less concentrated fire.

The point of doing this is to allow the player to customize how the weapon behaves, beyond mods like multi-shot and damage mods.  The thunderbolt mod, well if it's any indicator may be a step in the direction you're suggesting and maybe DE is going that route.  Who knows?

But this IS a forum section on sharing ideas to improve warframe.

Let's turn this around a bit...  Are you completely content with how weapons are in this game?  Would you like to see more yourself?  What are your ideas?

Edited by sushidubya

Those are examples only.  To clarify on accuracy vs. spread since you seem confused about those two words.  A more accurate shotgun would have a more concentrated cone of fire, whereas a greater spread would hit more enemies (close to each other of course) and have less concentrated fire.

The point of doing this is to allow the player to customize how the weapon behaves, beyond mods like multi-shot and damage mods.  The thunderbolt mod, well if it's any indicator may be a step in the direction you're suggesting and maybe DE is going that route.  Who knows?

But this IS a forum section on sharing ideas to improve warframe.

Let's turn this around a bit...  Are you completely content with how weapons are in this game?  Would you like to see more yourself?  What are your ideas?

Oh, I was confused because I thought you meant increasing accuracy OR spread (not increase accuracy by reducing spread, or increase spread to allow hitting more targets).

I think that weapons should all be unique and feel different, and that mods should give them the opportunity to be fine-tuned and be even more unique. I wouldn't add any more regular hitscan weapons (like the braton/grakata etc.) unless it had some sort of extra mechanic to it, such as damage ramp up the more you hit a single target. Weapons wise, I think we're missing (just a few quick examples):

-Laser/plasma (glowy energy, whatever...) weapons similar to the corpus'

-Weapons that charge up to increase damage (like this:)

W8Pk90T.gif

-Weapons that do more damage the more you hit a target

-Something like this:

MyPf4D8.png

And mods wise, here are a few examples that can be applied to all guns:

-Increased precision/less deviation from crosshairs

-Increased zoom

-(projectiles) Increased projectile travel speed

-(shotguns) Increased falloff distance

-Actual status effects that don't directly add damage, not just elemental mods (slow enemies, stun a group of enemies with electricity, damage over time fire that affects nearby enemies as well, knockback etc.)

Oh, I was confused because I thought you meant increasing accuracy OR spread (not increase accuracy by reducing spread, or increase spread to allow hitting more targets).

I think that weapons should all be unique and feel different, and that mods should give them the opportunity to be fine-tuned and be even more unique. I wouldn't add any more regular hitscan weapons (like the braton/grakata etc.) unless it had some sort of extra mechanic to it, such as damage ramp up the more you hit a single target. Weapons wise, I think we're missing (just a few quick examples):

-Laser/plasma (glowy energy, whatever...) weapons similar to the corpus'

-Weapons that charge up to increase damage (like this:)

W8Pk90T.gif

-Weapons that do more damage the more you hit a target

-Something like this:

MyPf4D8.png

And mods wise, here are a few examples that can be applied to all guns:

-Increased precision/less deviation from crosshairs

-Increased zoom

-(projectiles) Increased projectile travel speed

-(shotguns) Increased falloff distance

-Actual status effects that don't directly add damage, not just elemental mods (slow enemies, stun a group of enemies with electricity, damage over time fire that affects nearby enemies as well, knockback etc.)

These are great ideas!  I'm glad you posted them here.  Hopefully they see our posts!  (seriously kudos to you for giving visual representation too! that's the best way.)

Agreed on the hitscan weapons.  I think DE has covered all bases with regards to machine guns.  Grenade launchers on the other hand, and gauss guns...  

Edited by sushidubya

sir this does not belong in this thread so if you be so kind as not to post it here agian. besides the gorgon is a massive two handed gun so it would be impossible even for the tanno with the exseption of possibly the rino and frost

and you are sure it is a guy becuase.....

and really I don't think this would work becuase how do you "evlove" a lump of metal?

I like the idea. I'm a fan of Monster Hunter and I loved turning my jaw bone great-sword into a giant fanged upgraded version... but I wonder how much else they could do to move from one weapon to another.  I like it currently how you can take a Lato and turn it into a Bolto... and how you can take two Boltos and make them into Akboltos.