Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Net Neutrality

RPGforDINNER

What makes you think the internet would be slower?

With ISP's gaining more control over the internet than they already have, they can either: 

Block off access to sites by making you pay extra for them or by slowing down access to these sites.

If you don't mind me asking, what is this about for the less enlightened among us (me), I couldnt understand it from the menagerie of info from a quick search

Also, there's mentions of senators, as a non-american, do I even have a say in this >_>

Basically, it's to make it so that the internet is a utility and that you shouldn't have to pay extra for access to certain sites. So without net neutrality, the ISPs can make you pay 30$ extra per month to have access to sites like youtube. Net Neutrality wants to protect the internet and make it available for all with no form of discrimination.

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Basically, it's to make it so that the internet is a utility and that you shouldn't have to pay extra for access to certain sites. So without net neutrality, the ISPs can make you pay 30$ extra per month to have access to sites like youtube.

>_> Why the hell would they want to do this? Paying more to use sites? This is horrible -.-

Would these changes not affect everyone who uses the internet? WTF <_< 

>_> Why the hell would they want to do this? Paying more to use sites? This is horrible -.-

Would these changes not affect everyone who uses the internet? WTF <_< 

They want to do this so that the Cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast can gain more money. That's it.

They want dat money to be rollin'

They want to do this so that the Cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast can gain more money. That's it.

Godammit the Internets niche was that you didnt have to bloody pay for the infinite number of sites you could use it for, these guys are like smartarses who ask for homework teacher forgets to give us any

With ISP's gaining more control over the internet than they already have, they can either: 

Block off access to sites by making you pay extra for them or by slowing down access to these sites.

Basically, it's to make it so that the internet is a utility and that you shouldn't have to pay extra for access to certain sites. So without net neutrality, the ISPs can make you pay 30$ extra per month to have access to sites like youtube. Net Neutrality wants to protect the internet and make it available for all with no form of discrimination.

Roflcopters.

Right now, the US already is one of the slowest data speeds on earth. Why? Because they're not allowed to compete on anything but price.

Further, companies ALREADY throttle data.

You're working under the assumption that a fundamental base would change, but EVERYTHING else(except the speed control) would remain the same.

Do you realize how silly that notion is?

Consider for a moment: What if the internet was free for you to use? What if companies could pay a little extra to make sure that THEIR websites or games *never* lag and *never* lose connection? Can you imagine that? If any computer on earth could connect to, let's say, Warframe, and get a flawlessly fast, lag-free connection, and cost not a dime to you, no matter where you connected?

Can that happen now? NO.

Could it happen without net neutrality? Well, that's actually how most services that don't have enforced neutrality work(example: broadcast television).

But NO, let's pretend it would be the evil end of the world, because you OBVIOUSLY couldn't change your ISP if you felt their service to your preferred sites was @#$#@.

But NO, let's pretend it would be the evil end of the world, because you OBVIOUSLY couldn't change your ISP if you felt their service to your preferred sites was @#$#@.

List me the number of ISPs in america that you can choose as well as their names.

And I think you need some education in the matter: http://www.theopeninter.net/

You want this S#&amp;&#036; to happen?

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Every user in the United States would be affected, yes.

It's important to remember that the US can be a trifle odd in regard to services related to telecom and public utilities.

Americans pay more for internet than most 1st world democracies, but get dramatically less speed.

My personal advice would be to check out Last Week Tonight's episode on Net Neutrality on Youtube.

It's probably NSFW... Just sayin'.

List me the number of ISPs in america that you can choose as well as their names.

And I think you need some education in the matter: http://www.theopeninter.net/

You want this S#&$ to happen?

Did you not read? DO you not understand?

Let's say you wanted to start an ISP under the model I was explaining? Could you? SURE! All you need to do is figure out what you want to provide, and set up systems to do so. You pick a niche nobody else is using, and go for it! You can get customers(sites you want to connect to), and provide service to people. You can charge the people, or you can charge the sites, and you can keep the connections awesome. What's stopping you? Nothing! You can compete with anyone else who wants that niche.

Let's say you wanted to start an ISP under the CURRENT model? Could you? Hell no. You'd need to find a geographic location, and offer a service(the same service the ISP(s) there already have), and you'd have to try and compete with them on price, and for them to put you out of business, all they'd have to do is lower prices to an unprofitable level for a few months in that region, while floating on their prices in other regions. You can't. You won't. You don't. There is an automatic, inherent monopoly, BY DESIGN. You can't compete. You can't change anything. YOU LOSE.

But yeah, let's fight for that, right? We all lose together!

-snip because bleh-

So you support the cable companies eh? Well go ahead and do so, I don't want to have to pay more money just to have access to youtube and other sites. I don't care that "oh it'll be super duper fast" the fact is that I'm going to be forced to pay money for no reason whatsoever when I already have payed for it. It is complete and utter BS.

NO ONE WANTS TO PAY EXTRA TO HAVE ACCESS TO SITES. IT JUST RESTRICTS ACCESS ALL TOGETHER. DON'T HAVE THE MONEY? TOO BAD, YOU CAN'T HAVE ACCESS TO HULU OR YOUTUBE OR FACEBOOK.

Arguing with people like you is like arguing with a brick wall, it's both pointless and stupid. 

In 25 minutes the choice will be made. 

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Last Week Tonight had an episode on it, but I thought it was already resolved. This concept is dangerous to the way we stream media, and must be stopped as soon as possible. It gives too much power to the already powerful companies like Comcast, and would essentially form 2 niches where you will have to pick which content you like more, as one ISP could make it exclusive to their service by making it unusable on the others. The console war, basically.

Let's say you wanted to start an ISP under the CURRENT model? Could you? Hell no. You'd need to find a geographic location, and offer a service(the same service the ISP(s) there already have), and you'd have to try and compete with them on price, and for them to put you out of business, all they'd have to do is lower prices to an unprofitable level for a few months in that region, while floating on their prices in other regions. You can't. You won't. You don't. There is an automatic, inherent monopoly, BY DESIGN. You can't compete. You can't change anything. YOU LOSE.

There is a monopoly, and it is there by design. But the question is, whose design?

Allow me to show you a thing:

http://youtu.be/fpbOEoRrHyU?t=4m

This shows how companies like Comcast can FORCE content providers into doing what they want. The only thing stopping them form doing that to all content is their "promise" that they won't. Now, I'm not a crazy conspiracy theorist kind of guy, but I don't think that their promises are going to hold up for long. They will be forcing people to pay extra for services they should already have. If that sounds like a good thing to you, well, I have this bridge....

-snip-

I don't think that's what Llyssa is saying actually...

I think Llyssa is saying is that the legislation is basically "just icing on a poop cake"

The system itself is already jacked up and adding the net neutrality provisions won't make it better (even though it won't make it worse)

There is some truth in that due to the fact that Cable Companies tend to act as Monopolies.

Net neutrality would put the internet under the category of a utility though which would allow for a bit more latitude in both directions on that question.