Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ridiculous Defence

HexCaliber

The following has to be the worst map I have seen used in endless defence http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971843691/screenshot/864966776179035603. It is awful for a number of reasons, not least of which is the ai pathing with mobs getting stuck all over the place. But also the rate at which enemies spawn, its near impossible to defend this map when played at higher levels unless you cheese and use frost's snow globe, but I don't want to end up in the position where I HAVE to use frost to do corpus endless defence.

I am not sure what needs to be done but something needs to be done, there are groups who will quit the instant they see this map as they are simply not interested in wasting their time. Without a frost frame, the cryopod can be obliterated by the first wave if you get this map in level 20-30+ regions as it is burnt down before you can do much of anything as mobs are spawned almost on top of it right from the start.

Edited by HexCaliber

I hate to braek it to you but frost is mandatory for corpus defense past wave 25. That in mind this map is the best for high level corpus defense. sound quake covers roughly 50% of the map which garanties quick progress. regarding the AI pathing I am with you though but you have these problems on all three corpus defense maps. especially with ospreys.

That is personally one of my favorite maps for defense. Mostly because I use akbolto and rack up kills insanely fast due to close quarters. I've never noticed too big of an issue with it personally. But having a frost in the group is pretty much an "I win" scenario.

Since I prefer close-mid range combat this map is great. In all honesty you only need 2 people on this map to get to level 10, just have one face forward, one face back. Fire up the gorgon on front lines and it's another "I win" scenario. (however having rifle scavenger helps a lot with keeping up in ammo)

Hey guys,

I’m noticing a mixed bag when it comes to this level...so, I'm curious; what is it that people HATE about this map? I’ve read some comments that appear to suggest that it’s too hard and enemies can get stuck and hide; taking a while to complete each wave (which is very annoying). I’ve mentioned this to the AI guy and he’s been trying to make it better.

What are some things you guys feel would make this map better?

randotenno47: DELETE IT!

mgladney: good one.

Thanks,

Mitch

That actually is the purpose of various warframes.

Having them fulfill a role and make them unique and vital.

Corpus you will need a frost, infested you need a Nynx etc.

Ever need a Frost contact me in game  ^^

I already have a 30 frost, I can solo this map against 15-25 in Europa into level 15- 20 until I run out of energy drops to fuel snow globe. Using rhino you can do the same against infested, just iron skin and aoe slam the S#&$ out of everything using a heavy melee weapon. But that's part of the problem, IMHO must have frames for specific maps is very poor design. We currently have 12 frames in this game (13 including the current prime), what is the point if all we need do is grab one of three specific frames to smash all the defence missions and rhino to face tank every boss.

I actually picked this map out as I joined a group last night and every time they saw this map it was quit out of, when I went back to try solo in ash or volt, I could see their point; the other corpus maps were doable against similar level mobs, but not this one, not without frost. I probably could have worded my op differently to articulate the problem a little better, but it was the first thing on my mind when I got up this morning.

People can argue about co op this or that, but this game also supports solo play, as such it has to be considered in any argument about play and map balance, its up to the devs to ensure it scales accordingly. It just feels as though this map was designed or at least balanced around someone running frost, which is a cheesy way to plan any map or mission. Where is the diversity; other frames should at least have a fighting chance when compared one on one, with the user adopting the strengths of each to get the most from it. I understand some frames are focused on fighting a certain faction, but this shouldn't preclude other frames from being playable in the same situation.

Edited by HexCaliber

Hey guys,

I’m noticing a mixed bag when it comes to this level...so, I'm curious; what is it that people HATE about this map? I’ve read some comments that appear to suggest that it’s too hard and enemies can get stuck and hide; taking a while to complete each wave (which is very annoying). I’ve mentioned this to the AI guy and he’s been trying to make it better.

Thanks,

Mitch

for one think change the spawn rates of enmys so that less of them can get to teh pod in less then 5 seconds, as that is really annoying 

The enemies are closer and have higher ground. The surround and cover the enemy has makes it difficult, more so than the grineer defense map.

The spawn rate is usually a HUGE rush at the beginning and then a dull hunt for stragglers/stuck enemies at the end of a wave.

How would moving the cryopod to the "circular cliff, extraction looking place" in the back of this screenshot work out?

I like the map to be honest but I think the problem is its just hard and almost impossible without a Frost on higher levels. But I play frost anyways ;)

and yeah this totally

the only problem I have with this map is that sometimes whole spawn groups get stuck in their rooms and the ospreys seem to have problems with doors and stair cases

I spoke with the AI programmer and he said he's going to look into why the guys hide.

How would moving the cryopod to the "circular cliff, extraction looking place" in the back of this screenshot work out?

I actually thought about putting the Crypod on the landing pad as well, but after speaking with a few coworkers we thought it would cause more issues with enemies taking longer to get out to the pod.

IMHO must have frames for specific maps is very poor design.

I agree. I don't design rooms with any specific Warframe in mind.

Thanks for commenting everyone! Your feedback is definitely valued :)

There are also lots of clipping issues with the enemies.  Often I'll find only parts of a crewman visible inside one of the crates where they've partially passed through an object.

I actually like the map a lot; it's a challenge.  But I only PuG right now so I rarely go above 10 or 15 on the defense waves, if that.  Most quit out at 5.

Yeah, not sure I am getting the complaint. I would actually like to see maps designed where certain warframes/weapons will shine and others will suffer. If every map is a cakewalk for every loadout and squad makeup... what is the point of even having variations in warframes?

I would like to see the opposite. New content should actually force players to start thinking about forming squads that make sense. I want to slap someone when I see a player coming to a corpus defense mission with a gorgon on an ember. Having choices gives players metagame... so use it!

Wanting one warframe/loadout to work for everything - kind of defeats the point of all of this.

However they do need to add some intelligence to 'unstick' stuck mobs. If a mob is running in circles the server should do something like respawn it after a couple seconds. Defense missions do seem to turn into hide and seek more often than not.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Mitch

For starters, this level needs an FPS increase. I may not have the best specs, but I can run EVERY level bar this one at 40 FPS.

Secondly, try to stop AI hiding in each room, as this frustrates other tenno

And last but not least, try to make the AI be able to walk out of a room before it clips to death

These are my reasons, not necessarily the best, but just needs to be noted