The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Mod] Sabot New Weapon Mod Category

(PSN)MoRockaPDX

tl;dr:  Sabot (sabot |saˈbō, ˈsabō|), the concept of weapons with submunition. Technically used in firearms to fire smaller projectile through larger bore barrels. In this application the Sabot mod will convert the physical damage of the types that are weak against a target into the one that is strong against it. Example, say you have a high puncture weapon and you are fighting Corpus units, Sabot mod will turn x% of the puncture and slash damage into impact damage. 

This idea is still under development, so there are factor to still be worked out. Like if there should be a Sabot mod for each damage type, or should Sabot be universal compensator. What percentage of damage is converted, and what rarity the mod should be. Also, if the mod is consider too powerful it could be balanced by reducing the normal damage by x%.

The point is to add damage versatility to weapons, and allow weapons that normally would be at a disadvantage against certain factions to be more viable.

Examples of Sabots

Primaries

Rifle Ammo Sabot

Polarity: V

Rarity: Rare

Dropped By: Ordis. What? ...I said nothing!

Rank Effect Cost Conclave
0      15%      6       C8
1      30%      7       C8
2      45%      8       C11
3      60%      9       C14
4      75%     10      C17
5      90%     11      C20

Secondaries

Pistol Ammo Sabot

Polarity: D

Rarity: Uncommon

Dropped By: Lotus. No, stoppit!

Rank Effect Cost Conclave
0      15%      6       C8
1      30%      7       C8
2      45%      8       C11
3      60%      9       C14
4      75%     10      C17
5      90%     11      C20

I am considering saying there is no version for bows, melee, snipers, and shotguns as they are very defined by there damage types.

Example:

Lets take the Braton. It already does 6.6 in each damage type, making it a pretty versatile weapon. But, we can amp that up with the Rifle Ammo Sabot. At max rank it will take 90% of the two weaker damage types against whatever faction enemy it is shooting at and turn it into the type it is weak to. So a Lancer is weak to puncture damage, and Rifle Ammo Sabot would convert 90% of the Slash and Impact damage (5.94 each making an additional 11.88) to be applied to Puncture. 

Another possibility is that the Mod could take the physical damage type that is the weakest against a given enemy and convert that in the type of physical damage that is strongest. In the case of the Grineer Lancer, the increased Puncture damage would blast through the armor, but be less effective agains the clone flesh. This could mitigate the bonus some if it is felt to be too overpowered.
Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

It's interesting, but taking way even more reasons to use different weapons is not what this game needs.

This is a bigger issue for melee weapons, and I'm consider that this should not apply to them. As for people shunning certain weapons that is a different issue. This mod would actually make those weapons more attractive, potentially. Because, it will make any weapon you equip with the mod on more effective against whatever faction you face. That might mean you stick with your Boltor Prime because of the raw damage output, but that is a personal problem.

This could work since it just converts the actual physical damage of the weapon to one damage type. But after a long thought I think that could be worthless because it's pure conversion not multiplication into another damage type. What I am saying is that certain damage type like (for example) impact already does a percentage amount of the damage to, for example- Cloned Flesh (I have taken them because of easier maths [i think]).
 If I'm thinking good that mod changing the 90% of the impact damage to puncture (it would probably transfer it to slashing but let's take puncture for reasons I stated before). Impact does -25% amount of physical (or actual) damage to C. Flesh. What would that mean that we just take away 90% out of -25% so, -|25% - 90% * 25%|= -|25% - 22,5%|= -|2,5%|. |  | stands for absolute value because we won't work on multiple minuses in this situation. Correct me on that if I'm wrong but I was estimating on that because if I had to count this for real it would probable take whole A5 page.

EDIT:That wouldn't make that mod good later on. In fact it would make it worthless for later game since I'd rather shoot twice with lower damage than once with probably 10% increase in damage.
EDIT#2: Unless you want this mod to consider transmutating from elementals and into elementals (or maybe even only morphing from elemental into just one of the 3 basic [slash, puncture and impact]). That would be OP though because you can take two colds and two electric to make magnetic and take on Heavy Gunner with that.

Edited by RadioLarity

So, the mod takes the damage of the weapon it is installed on, and makes it effective against the enemy you are currently facing.
I like this, but would this be temporarily or permanent?

I'm no Dev, or coding expert, but it seems like a huge challenge, trying to flip over the damage of any weapon completely, especially if it'd be temporarily.

Edited by Institute-Marksman

So, the mod takes the damage of the weapon it is installed on, and makes it effective against the enemy you are currently facing.

I like this, but would this be temporarily or permanent?

I'm no Dev, or coding expert, but it seems like a huge challenge, trying to flip over the damage of any weapon completely, especially if it'd be temporarily.

I don't know man. We can say that game calculates every single enemy shot to make it hit or miss with WF accuracy system. And the game has to calculate damage in the first place. If you shoot at heavy gunner with corrosive the game ads that bonus damage and less when you shoot with magnetic. That's something. On the other hand the game breaks when you use rhino stomp when there are dozens of enemies around, it takes the game a little while to refresh because for that while you can't do any action besides walking and shooting. You can't use any other powers, you can't melee. Unless it has been fixed I didn't use my Rhino for ages now.

• 1 month later...