Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Simaris, The Librarian Cephelon And Vergama Whose Other Name Is Destiny

(PSN)MoRockaPDX

"I am Vergama, whose other name is Destiny; Vergama, on whom you have called so ignorantly and idly, as men are wont to call on their hidden lords; Vergama, who has summoned you on the journey which all men must make at one time or another, in one way or another. Come forward, O Nushain, and read a little in my book." – The Last Hieroglyph, Clark Ashton Smith

I want to talk about Simaris, the new megalomaniacal librarian cephalon, and poet/author Clark Ashton Smith's creation, Vergama. The similarities between the two are great, but I don't think that DE actually based Simaris off of Vergama. For one, Clark Ashton Smith is a rather unknown author, almost more known for being friend of H.P. Lovecraft. Simaris, is described as a cephalon with a god-complex, and wishes to convert everything into a codified ciphers and entered into its simulacrum of the universe governed by Simaris alone. 

Vergama is, "whom some considered the most secret of all the gods, and others, the most cryptical of demons." The ultimate godlike entity in the setting of Zothique, a cycle of stories in the, "Dying Earth" genre of fiction. Considered the master of destiny, Vergama seems to concern itself with, The Book Of Hieroglyph. 

"The astrologer was drawn as by an unseen hand to the table. Leaning above it, he saw that the huge volume stood open at its middle pages, which were covered with a myriad signs written in inks of various colors, and representing men, gods, fishes, birds, monsters, animals, constellations and many other things. At the end of the last column of the right-hand page, where little space was left for other inscriptions, Nushain beheld the hieroglyphs of an equal-sided triangle of stars, such as had lately appeared in proximity to the Dog; and, following these, the hieroglyphs of a mummy, a merman, a barge and a salamander, resembling the figures that had come and gone on his horoscope, and those that had guided him to the house of Vergama."

Simaris, it seems, is concerned with cataloging and codifying all things into its library.

"In my book," said the cowled figure, "the characters of all things are written and preserved. All visible forms, in the beginning, were but symbols written by me; and at the last they shall exist only as the writing of my book. For a season they issue forth, taking to themselves that which is known as substance... It was I, O Nushain, who set in the heavens the stars that foretold your journey; I, who sent the three guides. And these things, having served their purpose, are now but infoliate ciphers, as before."

So, Vergama claims to be responsible for the forms of all things while Simaris wishes to become so. Vergama is a god-like manifestation of neoplatonic metaphysics personified, while Simaris intents to become the curator of a neoplatonic universe of its own making.

"Nushain thought that a wind arose in the chamber, moving lightly with a weird sigh, though he felt not the actual breath of its passing. But he saw that the fur of Ansarath, cowering close beside him, was ruffled by the wind. Then, beneath his marvelling eyes, the dog began to dwindle and wither, as if seared by a lethal magic; and he lessened to the size of a rat, and thence to the smallness of a mouse and the lightness of an insect, though preserving still his original form. After that, the tiny thing was caught up by the sighing air, and it flew past Nushain as a gnat might fly; and, following it, he saw that the hieroglyph of a dog was inscribed suddenly beside that of the salamander, at the bottom of the right-hand page. But, apart from this, there remained no trace of Ansarath.

I am reminded of the special effect used on capture targets. There was a thread that pondered wether or not the capture targets where turned into pure data to being interrogated at the Lotus' convenience. Maroo, puts this into question, as she is shown whole and functioning, presumably not in the matrix, after being captured. But, the mind can not help but speculate.

I won't spoil anymore of the story, but it is kinda funny and awe inspiring. Fair warning, it was written in the 1920s or 30s, and isn't, as many things back then, very PC. http://eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/111/the-last-hieroglyph

The similarities between the two are already close and pretty cool, in my opinion. I think it would be worth it for DE to take a look at the story and draw at least tithe of inspiration.

Bonus: I developed a Warframe fan concept based on Vergama. Check it out: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/399048-warframe-concept-vergama–master-of-destiny/?hl=vergama

Well, thing is, if you break down things into their core tropes, a lot of things seem very similar. As an example:

A manmade creation suddenly finds itself aware and then on the run to keep from being 'killed' once more.

Am I talking about the Frankenstein monster or Johnny 5?

Well, thing is, if you break down things into their core tropes, a lot of things seem very similar. As an example:

A manmade creation suddenly finds itself aware and then on the run to keep from being 'killed' once more.

Am I talking about the Frankenstein monster or Johnny 5?

Thats fine and all. I am not making accusations, just saying that the two compliment each other and it is worth a look. Because it is a good short story for one, and worth cribbing for some Simaris inspiration.