Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A F2P Mmorpg That Provides The Most Freedom?

Yazeth

Hey, I'm looking for another game to play again. This time, it's an MMORPG. I have never been fond of these games, but I decided to give the genre another try.

So, I am looking for an MMORPG that provides the most flexibility for casual play. So, I'm not aiming for something like open world on the level of Archeage, but more on the flexibility of choosing what kind of classes you want to start off with, the ability to put stats for yourself (and not have the game do it automatically for you) when you level up, a nice crafting system that does not limit you on a single profession or two, etc. 

A combat like in TERA is preferable, but not needed.

So, any suggestions?

Note: The game does NOT have to be F2P, as long that it is pretty cheap (around $5-10).

Note: The game does NOT have to be F2P, as long that it is pretty cheap (around $5-10).

You could have a look at Guild Wars 2 if you like, it's %75 off at the moment, only $10.

buy.guildwars2.com

Also RIFT would be a great option, as I remember, the class system was ridiculously extensive and offering lots of freedom. And it's F2P.

Oh and I hear Elder Scrolls Online is going B2P this month, so if you're into Skyrim and that sort of stuff, that could be your game. But I've never tried that one myself, yet.

Edited by CapricaSix

Oh and I hear Elder Scrolls Online is going B2P this month, so if you're into Skyrim and that sort of stuff, that could be your game. But I've never tried that one myself, yet.

Don't play this. ESO was nothing more then a cheaply made cash grab, the game wasn't edn made by Bethesda. Not worth the download time.

You could have a look at Guild Wars 2 if you like, it's %75 off at the moment, only $10.

buy.guildwars2.com

Also RIFT would be a great option, as I remember, the class system was ridiculously extensive and offering lots of freedom. And it's F2P.

Those are nice games, though I'm a little disheartened b/c they limit the number of professions you can have on one character. I would like to explore them all, but I guess I'll take a closer look later.

Try Firefall.

Same issue as above. :(

Don't play this. ESO was nothing more then a cheaply made cash grab, the game wasn't edn made by Bethesda. Not worth the download time.

Yeah, I heard of that kind of thing as well.

Guild Wars 2:

Fun to level, classes are unique, stories are worth replaying.

Elementalist class was tons of fun for me 16 skills, each 4 based on different element you can switch them up instead of bind 16 buttons.

Those are nice games, though I'm a little disheartened b/c they limit the number of professions you can have on one character. I would like to explore them all, but I guess I'll take a closer look later.

If you're referring to Guild Wars 2, you can pretty much get any 2 profession (or more if you spend some gems and buy an extra slot) and then change to a different 2 profession without losing your progression on the others, so while it's restricted, there's virtually no cost or nothing keeping you from changing to a different craft. Although if you mean class by "profession", then yeah kind of; the standart good old preset classes with the added tons of different skill options via the weapon sets you can change to at any time (and there are lots of choices per class). I should also add that there's not much grind in this game although farming is a thing but completely optional for the casual player, and you're very much encouraged to explore the world and can pretty much max your characters by simply doing nothing but that, completing some "tasks" and exploring areas. Pretty fun and the best MMORPG I've played yet.

Rift is a bit better in that sense, only 3 archetypes such as Warrior, Mage, Rogue, and tons of "roles" that you can switch to at any time that turns your character upside down, lets you become a marksman with a rifle when you were originally a thief, or a damage-dealer mage when you were a buff/debuff focused healer type, etc.

If that's not good enough for you though, then I'd like to know if there are any better ones than these as well :P ...that being said you could always wait for Black Desert which is still in development, seemed pretty amazing.

Edit: Oh by the way, there's also The Secret World, it's pretty free when it comes to classes and whatnot, no restrictions whatsoever, you just level up and change from a melee tank to a spellcaster instantly without spending anything. It's quite different from others though, not for everyone, but might be worth a look as it's on sale every now and then, I've had some fun playing it.

Could you elaborate please? Because I'd really like to know what's so bad about the game before I buy it. Had a look around and checked reviews and such but all I've seen was people complaining about how different it was from Skyrim, personally I couldn't care less about that, just want to know why it's "bad" :x

Edited by CapricaSix

If you're referring to Guild Wars 2, you can pretty much get any 2 profession (or more if you spend some gems and buy an extra slot) and then change to a different 2 profession without losing your progression on the others, so while it's restricted, there's virtually no cost or nothing keeping you from changing to a different craft.

Oh, now that's cool. I might consider buying the game now.

Also, I took a look at a game called Planet Calypso. I know that people call it a scam, but there are people who make actual money off of the game. Since I'm just gonna play MMORPG games casually, making money won't be a goal for me, and I won't mine just doing other sorts of tasks besides from killing stuff.

Edited by Yazeth

Oh, now that's cool. I might consider buying the game now.

Also, I took a look at a game called Planet Calypso. I know that people call it a scam, but there are people who make actual money off of the game. Since I'm just gonna play MMORPG games casually, making money won't be a goal for me, and I won't mine just doing other sorts of tasks besides from killing stuff.

Glad I could help. Oh I also forgot to add that you can even exchange your ingame currency for cash shop currency, so you can even manage to buy the cash shop stuff without spending any real money, even Warframe doesn't have that, thought it was something worth mentioning. But of course that's a lot of grind and farm as you can imagine.

Planet Calypso is what used to be called Entropia Universe couple years back. I played it for a while (about a few hours) and couldn't see the gamey bit unfortunately, but apparently it's supposed to be quite fun if you manage to get started and find a good mentor, and it's true that people make some nice money from it even if it's not a lot - but it seemed to require too much dedication and grinding from what I've seen. Weird stuff, killing dinosaurs and stuff and "collecting their sweat" and such :P just wasn't very fun for me. I'm sure they changed it lots over the time and branched out, maybe it got better since then.

Edited by CapricaSix