Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question For The More Tech Savvy/computer Part Savvy Tenno.

GhostSwordsman

Question

I have an Asus laptop that I use to game with.

The laptop currently has 4gb of DDR3 (SODIMM I think, it's a laptop after all) ram that runs at 1.6GHz. It's upgradeable to 8 gigs, which I've been meaning to do, but didn't really have the spare money to do so.

Now that I do, what I want to know is, if I buy this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/409718/4GB_DDR3-1600_%28PC3-12800%29_CL11_SO-DIMM_Laptop_Memory_Module , would/should it work if I put it in my PC?

The memory card that's in the laptop is still the factory one.

16 answers to this question

Just going to say this. If you dissect your laptop, your going to find the pieces are 2x-4x smaller than a PC's one.

I would just recommend grabbing a new PC / upgrading the old. Will save you time, frustration and effort.

Example : Go look up a laptop's graphics card. Find a pic of it in someones hand. Do the same for a PC. Two fairly opposite sizes.

Edited by deadinflict

Could you upload screenshosts of Memory and SPD tabs from cpu-z?

Out of curiosity, how exactly would that help?

I think that all I'm really looking to know is if having the specs match up (4gb card, DDR3 memory, 1.6GHz speed) will allow me to install the card with zero issues. (should have worded the question better) You know, I don't want to spend the money and then have to return it just because I couldn't get it to work, and I'm definitely not going to pay someone like the geek squad to do it for me.

I've actually tried upgrading the memory capacity last year, but every card I tried, according to geek squad, caused the laptop to boot to the bios and nothing else. The "geniuses" at the geek squad help desk couldn't figure out the simple fact that all the cards Best Buy sells run at a memory speed of 1.3GHz and the one in my laptop had a speed of 1.6GHz.

Ram doesn't really matter in Waframe, just get an APU such as the AMD A10 7700k. Or you could save up and buy a decent graphics card and processor. I really recommend you to save up to get an AMD A10 7700k because it lets me run Warframe at 1080p with all setting on high except shadows during a tight Archwing battle on 60FPS or higher since my cap FPS is 60.

Edited by ROXXXY

Ram doesn't really matter in Waframe, just get an APU such as the AMD A10 7700k. Or you could save up and buy a decent graphics card and processor. I really recommend you to save up to get an AMD A10 7700k because it lets me run Warframe at 1080p with all setting on high except shadows during a tight Archwing battle on 60FPS or higher since my cap FPS is 60.

Well, Warframe runs my memory percentage at 76% on low settings, and increasing any settings sends it up by at least 10%, plus I'd like to get more ram in the laptop anyway, as it will be an overall improvement, since my laptop is running the bare minimum you should have for games at 4gb. And this is with nothing but bare essential programs running, and all in the background, and steam of course, as that's how I play my games, through steam.

As for the GPU, I run intel HD 4400(what it came with) but I don't know if I have anywhere I can add a non integrated graphics card. So right now I think I'm going to just stick to getting more memory for it and think on possibly adding/changing out for better parts later(if I ever have the money for something like a decent GPU).

Edit: Post 1234, lel.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Out of curiosity, how exactly would that help?

I think that all I'm really looking to know is if having the specs match up (4gb card, DDR3 memory, 1.6GHz speed) will allow me to install the card with zero issues. (should have worded the question better) You know, I don't want to spend the money and then have to return it just because I couldn't get it to work, and I'm definitely not going to pay someone like the geek squad to do it for me.

Well, there's more to memory modules specs than speed and size, so screenshots would help get all of them and make sure new module will work with your currently installed one.

Edited by Melchiah

Well, there's more to memory modules specs than speed and size, so screenshots would help get all of them and make sure new module will work with your currently installed one.

Alright then, here's the screenshot of the memory:

TY2vbq6.jpg

Here is the SPD tab, it was like that for all the slots, by the way:

SbW85c0.jpg

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Could you select Slot #0 from Memory Slot Selection and upload again?

I just checked, and it doesn't have an option for slot #0, just 1, 2, 3, and 4.

There isn't a setting somewhere in the program where I could change this is there? Running as the administrator didn't change anything(if it even was going to).

I just checked, and it doesn't have an option for slot #0, just 1, 2, 3, and 4.

There isn't a setting somewhere in the program where I could change this is there? Running as the administrator didn't change anything(if it even was going to).

Try selecting slot#2-4

Here is the SPD tab, it was like that for all the slots, by the way:

Sorry, missed that part.

If possible, could you provide part number (preferably) or model of your laptop? It should be on a sticker on the bottom or under the battery. If not, that module you linked in OP should be ok.

Edited by Melchiah

Sorry, missed that part.

If possible, could you provide part number (preferably) or model of your laptop? It should be on a sticker on the bottom or under the battery. If not, that module you linked in OP should be ok.

Asus Vivobook 13.3" Touch screen Laptop.

Model #: Q301LA-BHI5T02

Note on the laptop, it was a best buy exclusive asus laptop. I had no luck finding the model on Asus' website(IIRC, the original motherboard was faulty and had to be replaced by the manufacturer), but I searched their website for it when that happened and could not find it. The Vivobook that is currently listed on best buys site that has the same specs as mine is an updated version. Mine came with Windows 8 and 4gb of ram, the newer one comes with Windows 8.1 and 6gb of ram.

And I figured that the ram module would be fine. I know that Crucial is a good manufacturer, and that their products are good. I just wanted to make sure. No harm in being too thorough, right?

Edit: And thanks for all the help you've provided so far, I really appreciate it! :D

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Turns out that you need to buy a DDR3L (low voltage) module like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220913&cm_re=1600MHz_DDR3L_SDRAM-_-20-220-913-_-Product. Assuming that tech specs for the module in your OP are correct (1.35v), that Crucial module should work fine,

Alright, sweet.

Thanks for the help again!