Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unique Energy Pools

(XBOX)LilHypezKiid

I know this idea may not be received well but I wanted to share it anyway.

I was thinking that maybe each frame has their own unique energy pool instead of the generic one we have now. The idea I'm going for is that each pool would have its own name and would obtain energy in a different way, sort of like the syndicate syandanas.

So for example let's take Valkyr: Her energy pool would be called Rage and to gain it, you need to deal damage.

On from there you get the general idea, and each frame would have a different energy pool and it would be gained in a different way

Finally I wanted to add that maybe each energy pool would have a different animation for the bar and to cast an ult, you need to have full energy and regardless, once you cast it the pool becomes empty again.

What do you think? Please leave constructive criticism, not just "no" or "are you being serious? I can't tell"

This seems very close to Diablo III.

Not sure if DE will overhaul the energy system or not but tbh I wouldn't like this change. All the frames are said to be powered by the same voidspace mumbo jumbo so it makes sense to me to keep it all as plain old energy.

Problem with this:
Say you're playing Valkyr.
I want to be an @ss and so I take my penta and synoid gammacor and just blow things out of the water and kill everything before you can deal any damage.
Now you cant use any of your abilities.

Another example:
Say loki needs to do stealth damage/kills to get energy.
He is in a squad that is going loud and alerting all of the enemies.
It is now literally impossible for him to get energy to do his abilities (and if he is playing interception/defense/survival he would never be able to use his abilities)

And the final problem:
It would lock every single warframe into a very specific and limited set of missions and play styles.
I use valkyr in spy missions for mobility and don't trigger the alarms or kill many enemies.
With your idea that would be *much* harder, if not impossible, because I can't get the energy to use ripline all the time.
It would suck to go "this frame can only be played this way, otherwise I cant use abilities...."

Further it would lock frames into certain weapon types.
With your idea the valkyr player would have to be pretty stupid to equip a slow firing hard hitting weapon (like a bow, opticor, any sniper, etc) because it would completely gimp that players ability to get energy.  Locking me out of one of my favorite weapon types when I want to play that frame.

It would also potentially lock a mesa out of melee (Gunslinger gets energy from gun damage/kills or something but not melee) even though a max duration shatter-shield + shooting gallery + melee build is actually fun with her.

I dont see how this could add anything ot the game really because all it would do is limit play styles and fix the frames within such strict roles that it would remove a lot of fun out of the combat system.

EDIT:
Another problem I thought of:
This would make certain team combinations impossible to work with.
Take the Loki example of needing to do stealth damage/kills to get energy.
Try paring him up with a frame that needs to go in loud and attract enemies and say tank lots of damage for energy (rhino).

Only one of them is going to be getting energy in that match while the other either has very limited or completely non-existant access to their abilities because their methods of gaining energy just aren't compatible.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I'm surprised that DE hasn't experimented with alternative resource frames so far. I was hoping that Valkyr would use some sort of rage system and was initially disappointed with her on release. They have a few abilities that operate with somewhat different costs than the standard, namely Valkyr's Paralysis and Despoil Desecrate. And they released their first truly contextually complex frame with Limbo's void phase mechanics.  So I think DE might be starting to trend towards more intricate kits.

I think the post above has a good point about problems with conflicting anti-synergy in frame abilities. I like to play frames with a lot of hard cc lockdown like Excal, Ember, and Vauban. And I always feel kind of awkward when I play with a Nyx or Irradiating Loki since my inclination to keep enemies disabled directly conflicts with their intention to have the enemies beat on eachother or charge up an absorb.

Edited by Ryjeon