Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

A good buddy of mine told me about the game yesterday, he's gamer and all about windows, he bugged me to install this and give it ago; I don't make rash decisions but researched the game and decided to do so, as I find it pretty cool. Today I tried for hours to install this in Ubuntu 15.10 using PlayOnLinux and I'm hugely disappointed. A game that for quite a few years only runs on a single platform, wow.

I have the same error, I click play, then the loading screen appears. When it gets to the end it closes and crashes. Then the warframe bug reporter opens. I have no time to fiddle around with things in the next few days, I'm just hoping a new hotfix will pop up in the meantime and fix things somehow.

15 hours ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

I have the same error, I click play, then the loading screen appears. When it gets to the end it closes and crashes. Then the warframe bug reporter opens. I have no time to fiddle around with things in the next few days, I'm just hoping a new hotfix will pop up in the meantime and fix things somehow.

That is about the most you can do for this. Hotfixes break and fix things for us linux users. 

have to ask, isnt it just easyer/better to do a KVM with gpu passthough on a 2nd gpu?

(workin on doing that for wf n other games, ending into alot of issues due to same model gpu black listin n all is a huge pain lol)

Well technically but as you have probably experienced in your struggles that doesn't always work so well. Not to mention the time and money it would take you are almost better just buying a copy of W10 or 7 or something like that. And Vm's at least when I tried it didn't really like to see my Gpu and the sound was kinda meh cuz of drivers. 

Idk just post it if it works for you cuz that would be great for some people in the community. 

Also thanks for being a founder and keeping this game alive for us today. :D

Edited by DreManX23
Compliment

19 minutes ago, DreManX23 said:

That is about the most you can do for this. Hotfixes break and fix things for us linux users. 

Well, if this is how it's been so far, then I shouldn't overreact and hurt the feelings of my wine setup. Guess, we'll be waiting for a proper fix! Thanks for the heads up, I've been trying to fix this for a while now and ended up in my Windows partition to play Warframe. - I... don't really like it here. I should go back to Arch.

Funny thing is, a few days before the update, (not sure about the timeline) I posted my test results to AppDB and rated Platinum, because Warframe surprisingly worked out of the box, for some reason. No overrides. Then we went to Wine 1.9.5 and a bunch of other updates, I assume not everyone uses wine right off the edge, so it's safe to speculate that the wine wasn't responsible for this. - For a day, I've been losing my mind trying every workaround for both wine and wine-staging.

Speaking of wine-staging, have anyone here tried Warframe with CSMT patch? Any relative impact on performance?

20 hours ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

Alright then, I'll do the same. Please let us know of any new developments.

I recently decided to try the game out.   I was a bit surprised at the easy install, but ended with the latest crash being reported here.     I get through the updates, click play, see the loading screen go nearly all the way across and .....   crash.

For reference:

Antergos Linux x64 (Arch repos)

Latest PoL from the repos

Created new x86 drive using Wine 1.9.2-staging

Did not touch a single setting, never even ran winecfg, jumped straight to installing.

Installed from the offline install files from the site, not steam.

After the crash, I did make some changes and tried again.

Changes made:

In winecfg - only changed the CSMT to enabled

In PoL Display tab:

GLSL - Default

Renderer - OpenGL

VRAM - set to my VRAM

Offscreen Rendering Mode - fbo

Render target mode lock - readdraw

Multisampling - enabled

Strict draw ordering - default

I ran it this way, using the PoL debug option, and noticed some errors I've never seen before:

12.415 Sys [Info]: ===[ Game successfully connected to: /Lotus/Levels/Proc/PlayerShip/DgA.lp ]===
12.416 Script [Info]: Starting Vignette close animation...
12.416 Script [Info]: MainMenu::SetCurrentState(0)
12.416 Script [Info]: SetCurrentState checking states: nil currentState: 0
12.417 Script [Info]: SetQuitVisible(true)
Error [Debug]: Loaded unexpected version of dbghelp.dll from C
12.417 Script [Info]: Background::ForceClearChildMovie()
Error [Debug]: Could not load module C.

Error [Info]: Crash Message:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     GPF in 00D738BF() [????????.???:0]
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Stack Trace:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  00D738BF
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  004A34BC
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Build Label:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     2016.03.08.17.57 Retail Windows x86
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Registers:
Error [Info]: EAX=00001F80 EBX=040A4410 ECX=040C43B0 EDX=00000001
Error [Info]: ESI=040C4394 EDI=040C43B0 EBP=00000004 ESP=040C43BC EIP=1C99AE75
Error [Info]: FLG=00010246 CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0063 GS=006B

Application error messages:
Background.lua
PlayCameraTransition
Background.lua
ForceClearChildMovie
ContextAction.lua
Update
Background.lua
Update

Getting late, and I'm no expert.   I'll look at it some more tomorrow.   Saw this thread and thought I'd share.

14 hours ago, DreManX23 said:

Well technically but as you have probably experienced in your struggles that doesn't always work so well. Not to mention the time and money it would take you are almost better just buying a copy of W10 or 7 or something like that. And Vm's at least when I tried it didn't really like to see my Gpu and the sound was kinda meh cuz of drivers. 

Idk just post it if it works for you cuz that would be great for some people in the community. 

Also thanks for being a founder and keeping this game alive for us today. :D

your welcome lol. if that was for me x3. right now i got a 2nd GPU. and win 10 ( forDX12) ALMOST had it but no one ever brings up if the GPUs are the same you will have a huge headach... think me n my friend as almost done n got it workin too

11 hours ago, julespetrikov said:

Speaking of wine-staging, have anyone here tried Warframe with CSMT patch? Any relative impact on performance?

It's the only thing that makes 40+ minute survivals playable for me, otherwise it ends up a laggy mess.  That said, ever since a few months ago a wine update caused it to not quite work when CSMT is enabled, ~3/4 of the time trying to start Warframe with CSMT enabled causes a thread deadlock of some sort.  Restarting a few times and it usually fixes itself though.

1 hour ago, Pentarctagon said:

It's the only thing that makes 40+ minute survivals playable for me, otherwise it ends up a laggy mess.  That said, ever since a few months ago a wine update caused it to not quite work when CSMT is enabled, ~3/4 of the time trying to start Warframe with CSMT enabled causes a thread deadlock of some sort.  Restarting a few times and it usually fixes itself though.

I'm reinstalling wine-staging as we speak, thank you for the information. Though, wine itself wasn't that big of a problem for me, I was staying away from interception missions because I wasn't quite confident in playing them under wine and be able to work fast to keep it up with the game. Surely, there are hiccups but overall it was quite playable for me. But, yeah, the longer game ran, messier the lag got.

I'll be setting up wine-staging for trying the game out. I hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible.

16 hours ago, Kronykus said:

I recently decided to try the game out.   I was a bit surprised at the easy install, but ended with the latest crash being reported here.     I get through the updates, click play, see the loading screen go nearly all the way across and .....   crash.

For reference:

Antergos Linux x64 (Arch repos)

Latest PoL from the repos

Created new x86 drive using Wine 1.9.2-staging

Did not touch a single setting, never even ran winecfg, jumped straight to installing.

Installed from the offline install files from the site, not steam.

After the crash, I did make some changes and tried again.

Changes made:

In winecfg - only changed the CSMT to enabled

In PoL Display tab:

GLSL - Default

Renderer - OpenGL

VRAM - set to my VRAM

Offscreen Rendering Mode - fbo

Render target mode lock - readdraw

Multisampling - enabled

Strict draw ordering - default

I ran it this way, using the PoL debug option, and noticed some errors I've never seen before:

12.415 Sys [Info]: ===[ Game successfully connected to: /Lotus/Levels/Proc/PlayerShip/DgA.lp ]===
12.416 Script [Info]: Starting Vignette close animation...
12.416 Script [Info]: MainMenu::SetCurrentState(0)
12.416 Script [Info]: SetCurrentState checking states: nil currentState: 0
12.417 Script [Info]: SetQuitVisible(true)
Error [Debug]: Loaded unexpected version of dbghelp.dll from C
12.417 Script [Info]: Background::ForceClearChildMovie()

Error [Info]: Crash Message:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     GPF in 00D738BF() [????????.???:0]
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Stack Trace:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  00D738BF
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  004A34BC
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Build Label:
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]:     2016.03.08.17.57 Retail Windows x86
Error [Info]: 
Error [Info]: Registers:
Error [Info]: EAX=00001F80 EBX=040A4410 ECX=040C43B0 EDX=00000001
Error [Info]: ESI=040C4394 EDI=040C43B0 EBP=00000004 ESP=040C43BC EIP=1C99AE75
Error [Info]: FLG=00010246 CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0063 GS=006B

Application error messages:
Background.lua
PlayCameraTransition
Background.lua
ForceClearChildMovie
ContextAction.lua
Update
Background.lua
Update

Getting late, and I'm no expert.   I'll look at it some more tomorrow.   Saw this thread and thought I'd share.

I am also getting this issue. Very frustrating especially with the tactical alert this weekend.

I am currently experiencing the same crash others have reported here recently.

I am running Arch Linux and am using the newest wine-staging 1.9.5.

The game ran without any serious issues so far (besides a few lightning and texture bugs) but the recent Sands of Inaros update introduced severe texture problems in several levels. It looked like many of those textures only loaded halfway and were really low resolution. I suspect this might have to do with the newly introduced graphics overhauls like PBR and such. Curiously this only applied to some levels/textures.  

But at least it still worked. But one of the hotfixes after the big update broke everything completely. Like others have described: it loads the launcher up fine and the game starts with the initial loading screen. But once it is done loading it hangs for a moment and instead of going to the login screen it crashes and opens their debug helper thingy.

I tried reinstalling completely as well as both a 64 bit and a 32 bit wine prefix. Nothing solved the crash so far.

The "unsupported address" stuff in the log led me to believe it had something to do with 64 bit vs 32 bit, but they both crash. I also got the same "could not load module C" stuff but I have no clue about that.

I updated the game just now via the Launcher to see if the newest update fixed this somehow but apparently it didn't.

Also big thanks to Pentarctagon for sharing your startup script. I will use it to create one for myself.

Hopefully we can find a way to fix this problem.

EDIT: I just thought about the "module C" thing and wondered about C (the programming language), but then I remembered that Windows (and thus wine) traditionally use C for the main partition. Maybe it is trying to load something like "C:\Program Files\somethingsomething\..." but somehow the message gets cut off in the log? Just a thought.

Edited by slin3
New thought

4 hours ago, slin3 said:

But at least it still worked. But one of the hotfixes after the big update broke everything completely. Like others have described: it loads the launcher up fine and the game starts with the initial loading screen. But once it is done loading it hangs for a moment and instead of going to the login screen it crashes and opens their debug helper thingy.

I'm almost certain it was something in hotfix 18.5.5 or 18.5.5.1

I'm unhappy to report the exact same situation with Wine on a Mac. (I've tested with wine 1.9.2 as well as a CX 15.0.0 derived release)

I am mentioning wine on mac because I found the same problems (and solutions ) as mentioned in this linux specific thread applied to my mac instance of wine.

Edited by TMKC
clarification

I see I'm not alone in being boned by the 18.5.5/18.5.5.1 patches. The splash screen crash did get me to finally upgrade my wine installation from 1.7.29 to 1.9.5, but that hasn't done me any good. I'm glad I only tried re-using my existing wine prefix (from 1.7.27!) instead of doing a full re-install, as that's a huge chore. Fingers crossed for a hotfix that resolves this before the Thousand Cuts tactical alert ends...

I don't know whether the problem appeared in 18.5.5 or 18.5.5.1 as I updated from 18.5.4 to 18.5.5.1 directly (somebody did say it was 18.5.5 though) but unless there's something that wasn't listed in the updates, we can assume it is something to do with any of the following:

Spoiler

Hotfix 18.5.5

Reactor Sabotage Changes & Fixes

•    Sightly increased fire spread time when the ship is overheating.
•    Slightly tweaked lower level missions to reduce difficulty.
•    Reduced delay between destroying Fuel Injectors and the Reactor explosion to 2 seconds.
•    Bursa’s will no longer spawn when the alarms are active during the Blast Door stage on Corpus Ship Sabotage.
•    Increased the number of spawning enemies during the Defense stages when in a full squad.
•    Fixed Magnetic fields spawning too close to hacking consoles, preventing the player from unlocking the Blast Door in order to extract.
•    Fixed having to backtrack from the Reactor Room to reach the Blast Door objective.
•    Tweaked Fuel Cell spawn to improve context action overlapping.
•    Fixed Laser grids not disabling after extracting or destroying the Coolant Cell in Corpus missions.
•    Corpus tileset Coolant Room/tileset changes:
o    Removed two moving laser grids.
o    Replaced one Turret spawn with a Camera. 
o    Hacking Panel will be disabled when the the doors open.
o    Doors no longer lock after retrieving or destroying the Coolant Reactor.
o    Moved the spawn location/timing of the floor-based MOAs.
o    Added blocking volumes to make certain vents easier to traverse.

Additions

•    You can now place the Sacred Vessel on your ship as a decoration if you've completed the Sands of Inaros quest! We're currently running a script to give the Sacred Vessel decoration to those who have already completed the quest- we will let you know when it is complete! Script is now live! Check your Liset Interior decorations to place your Sacred Vessel!
•    Added new Rampart overheating sounds.
•    Added Coolant Cell and Fuel Cell drop sounds in Reactor Sabotage missions.

Changes

•    Loki will no longer be able to complete the Mastery Rank 10-11 test by Switch Teleporting to the end. (What a trickster!)
•    Tweaked lensflares on certain Warframe abilities to reduce brightness.
•    Improved mission intro sound in outdoor tilesets.

Fixes

•    Fixed audio-related performance degradation: audio/reverb-related glitches and framerate hitching has been fixed. 
•    Fixed unplayable texture issues for players running DirectX 9 on older AMD.
•    Fixed massive framerate issues that could occur in tilesets with zip-lines.
•    Fixed Hyekka’s performing weird animations when traversing ziplines. Gone, but not forgotten:

Hotfix 18.5.5.1

Changes

•    Optimized sky textures for better performance.

Fixes
•    Fixed crash caused by giving your Secondary weapon to a Rescue Target and then taking it away.

This is the whole changelog but we now need to narrow it down.

I also saw some people complaining about having some problems with PhysX in other parts of the forums, maybe our problem has something to do with that. I'm not an expert so I'm just guessing.

Edited by CountrifiedSoul

4 hours ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

I don't know whether the problem appeared in 18.5.5 or 18.5.5.1 as I updated from 18.5.4 to 18.5.5.1 directly (somebody did say it was 18.5.5 though) but unless there's something that wasn't listed in the updates, we can assume it is something to do with any of the following:

Hidden Content

This is the whole changelog but we now need to narrow it down.

I also saw some people complaining about having some problems with PhysX in other parts of the forums, maybe our problem has something to do with that. I'm not an expert so I'm just guessing.

It's probably one of these two:

•    Fixed audio-related performance degradation: audio/reverb-related glitches and framerate hitching has been fixed. 
•    Fixed unplayable texture issues for players running DirectX 9 on older AMD.

I feel like it's got something to do with graphics because maybe the login screen dioramas are loaded at that point in the loading bar, and the graphics changes might have messed it up. It could also be audio because in the liset login screen, there are ambient nioses that are tied to reverb/audio. 

Then again, that's just my opinion. I'm trying to get Warframe through PlayOnLinux and I believe I've installed DX10 and 11. It's still downloading, so I'll edit this post with how it turns out.

12 minutes ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

This is weird... somebody posted the solution here from another thread in the forum, I answered and so did one other person, yet none of that appears here.

That's the solution that worked for me and a lot of other people who had the same problem.

EDIT : see below, I wanted to edit this post as I messed up with the quote from the other thread, it posted another comment instead

I posted the solution, but since this thread is marked as a question for some reason, as soon as the solution got upvoted it was moved to the first page (Go look! It's there!)

Someone said the specific version of vcrun needed was vcrun2012

5 minutes ago, JohnTheGreen said:

Someone said the specific version of vcrun needed was vcrun2012

vcrun2012 isn't showing up for me, all I'm seeing are 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 6, and 6sp6. What do I do?

Edit: I don't believe I have any of them installed yet either.

Edited by SKRUBLORD_64

36 minutes ago, JohnTheGreen said:

Someone mentioned trying to update Winetricks for that.

How do I do that again? I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu or the winetricks github page and I'm not sure what to download and run.

Edit: Nevermind, I just copypasted into gedit and ran it from the terminal.

Edit 2: It keeps giving me the error "command 'wine vcredist_x86.exe' returned status 180.  Aborting." What do I do now? I tried downloading all the new ones and the same thing happened.

Edited by SKRUBLORD_64