Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

I can talk to my dad about that but I am not sure about it. I know my way around linux and windows so it wont affect that, but just not so sure how thrilled he will be. I have tried this on my laptop with an i5 cpu and for some reason it shuts down. However my friend runs this on his laptop and it only has an i3 so I don't understand what my problem. Is it that I run windows 7 and he runs windows 8? if you have any ideas that would be useful Thx.

I just took this pic. This morning if any of you know what it means than you are amazing. This is what I am seeing now.

I've fixed the (windows) Steam client issue (I used PlayOnLinux). However, I am getting the same thing as yours. "Could not update file" - How do I make the client 'do update' its files??? I tried going into the "Tools" folder and deleting Launcher.exe, and renaming Launcher.exe.tmp to Launcher.exe

My guess is DirectX? I downloaded directx9 from "PlayOnLinux" component install..

Edited by (PS4)Matoro1992

I tried that to but to no end. Might be DirectX but I don't know what to do to fix that. IF ANYONE AT WARFRAME IS READING THIS THAT PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!  The funny thing is that it worked perfectly last week. Hey did you (Matoro 1992) istall an update to linux right before this happened? Because that may be it.

I tried that to but to no end. Might be DirectX but I don't know what to do to fix that. IF ANYONE AT WARFRAME IS READING THIS THAT PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! The funny thing is that it worked perfectly last week. Hey did you (Matoro 1992) istall an update to linux right before this happened? Because that may be it.

Nope. This is my first time trying to get this thing to work. I'm about to give up here.

Hey DE, if you're not going to port Warframe to Linux, can you at least make the game mouse/keyboard compatible on the ps4? Unreal Tournament 3 did it with the ps3.

I will never join the Dark (windows) side! I dislike Microsoft with a passion yo! xP

I've fixed the (windows) Steam client issue (I used PlayOnLinux). However, I am getting the same thing as yours. "Could not update file" - How do I make the client 'do update' its files??? I tried going into the "Tools" folder and deleting Launcher.exe, and renaming Launcher.exe.tmp to Launcher.exe

My guess is DirectX? I downloaded directx9 from "PlayOnLinux" component install..

Just a question, did you get "directx9" or "dxfullsetup"? Cause dxfullsetup is the right one. I will say though, I did not need either to get the game working as wine has it's own stuff for that.

Edited by Racercowboy

Just a question, did you get "directx9" or "dxfullsetup"? Cause dxfullsetup is the right one. I will say though, I did not need either to get the game working as wine has it's own stuff for that.

I've installed both. Setup screen here: https://img.bi/#/3wUy7j8!p9OHVwCDOVrA8d6BtgVUU7_AUs8cugkfQOQA8_Ty

However, I still end up with this blank DirectX update window: https://img.bi/#/8kWdSH9!_bbiLQe_rwSArea8vAbF6TSQJKz54gR_WNEghekG

Is there a way to skip this part?

I've installed both. Setup screen here: https://img.bi/#/3wUy7j8!p9OHVwCDOVrA8d6BtgVUU7_AUs8cugkfQOQA8_Ty

However, I still end up with this blank DirectX update window: https://img.bi/#/8kWdSH9!_bbiLQe_rwSArea8vAbF6TSQJKz54gR_WNEghekG

Is there a way to skip this part?

Did you try not installing the components? Cause I don't have them installed and it works fine.

Also, what version of wine are you using?

Ok, this helped. I think I fixed the issue.

I've uninstalled Steam and deleted my virtual drive entirely from PlayOnLinux

Installed components "directx9" and "dxfullstetup" from PlayOnLinux

Downloaded and Installed Steam

Downloaded and Ran Warframe Client Launcher

Warframe Client Launcher = "Could not update"

(closed client)

Gone into the "Tools" folder (example)

/home/matoro/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Warframe/Tools

Deleted "Launcher.exe"

Renamed "Launcher.exe.tmp" to "Launcher.exe"

Launched Warframe from Steam.

Everything is updating...it seems like the Warframe Client Launcher is frozen for a moment. But give at least it 10-15 min.

Play button shows up, then...YES! WARFRAME!!

This worked on my Linux Mint 17 (Wine v1.7), however there are graphical issues of some textures appearing black. I hope this works with everyone else running Ubuntu/Mint. But still, I wish Warframe could be natively supported to Linux soon. Like I said previously..."No tux, no bux." - because how would I know if I will have future issues when Warframe updates to v17 or so?

snipzorz

Glad you got it working. Sadly I still haven't found a way around the texture glitches such. So far we've been lucky but who knows what may happen. I'll just keep staring at the ps4 port and wonder at the possibilities.... *cough*totally not insinuating anything here*cough*

Glad you got it working. Sadly I still haven't found a way around the texture glitches such. So far we've been lucky but who knows what may happen. I'll just keep staring at the ps4 port and wonder at the possibilities.... *cough*totally not insinuating anything here*cough*

Thanks for your help! If I didn't know I had to install those 2 components, or it wouldn't of continued to work! It was a good thing I uninstalled my virtual drive and reinstalled it again! That's all it took! Lol! xP

My gameplay video of the black texture glitches: 

Also my question is, why care about the PS4 port? It sucks! Loading times takes forever, the playerbase is light, and aiming with a controller is like controlling a tank. No if there was mouse/keyboard support, I'll give it some slack. 

Man! If DE only cared about making a native port for us linux gamers, they would earn profit from myself and others! :D I only hope with the SteamOS coming, it will encourage them to do it!

So it works fine but when I try to play it the lag is so great that I can't really do anything. Do you have any ideas?

If you check under your resolution settings, you can switch to "Borderless Window" or something like that. It will run a bit better. Of course lower down the shadows and turn off dynamic lighting, and you'll be fine.

Also my question is, why care about the PS4 port? It sucks! Loading times takes forever, the playerbase is light, and aiming with a controller is like controlling a tank. No if there was mouse/keyboard support, I'll give it some slack. 

ps4's OS is a modified FreeBSD. In other words, porting to linux is not out of the question. It's more of a matter of if they want to do it or not.

So it works fine but when I try to play it the lag is so great that I can't really do anything. Do you have any ideas?

Is it like constant spikes of lag? I had the same issue and solved it by either turning off multithreaded rendering in the launcher or using wine version 1.7.13 (later versions introduced something that broke it for some reason, haven't tried using the latest releases though).

Hopefully it's what I had, and not something else.

Ok, this helped. I think I fixed the issue.

I've uninstalled Steam and deleted my virtual drive entirely from PlayOnLinux

Installed components "directx9" and "dxfullstetup" from PlayOnLinux

Downloaded and Installed Steam

I am a bit confused as to how you managed to perform those steps in that order. I was not able to install components without first installing steam. Is it critical that 2 comes before 3? I did all of the steps, with steps two and three swapped, and I get the same directx error I had before. I'm going to try removing wine and POL completely to see if that helps.

Edited by Keboose

I am a bit confused as to how you managed to perform those steps in that order. I was not able to install components without first installing steam. Is it critical that 2 comes before 3? I did all of the steps, with steps two and three swapped, and I get the same directx error I had before. I'm going to try removing wine and POL completely to see if that helps.

Yeah. That's what I did in order. It works for me, on Linux Mint. It should be similar with Ubuntu. Not sure about the other Linux distros though.

I got it working! I just needed to do a purge and delete of wine and playonlinux. I deinstalled everything deleted warframe from my desktop then reistalled wine, downloaded Warframe.msi saved the file to my desktop, and ran it. It worked perfectly I love this game it is a total time trap Lol. ;)

I got it working! I just needed to do a purge and delete of wine and playonlinux. I deinstalled everything deleted warframe from my desktop then reistalled wine, downloaded Warframe.msi saved the file to my desktop, and ran it. It worked perfectly I love this game it is a total time trap Lol. ;)

I'm just curious. Did you figure out how to get rid of those glitchy black textures?

If you have a white screen with message "Can't update, try again later" install wininet by winetricks ("winetricks wininet" in console) then go to winecfg and switch wininet library to native (windows). To switch library mode press change botton. Update will go, but you will have an error on login. After update done, close warframe and switch wininet library to builtin (wine), login will work. Maybe library mode named differently, my system is russian. Sorry for bad english.

Maybe somebody can help me? Long hold of keyboard keys doesn't work, so i can't wallrun or resurrect.

Fixed: switch off autorepeat key on KDE startup in keyboard settings.

Edited by Ptu4ka_

First of all , if someone has not already done this than I am either way. to fix the blank screen or a cannot update screen these are the steps to do:

1. Purge your system of warframe by one deleting everything, and/or do this as well if you are a little mor techy than you can try the purge code in the terminal.

2. Uninstall Wine and anything else that is connected to it suchas: Playonlinux, and other wine features.

3. Reinstall Wine

4. Downloadl the Warfame.msi file from the website.

5. Save everything or copy everything to your desktop folder.

6. Hopefully it starts up you may need to wait for a little bit say 10-30 before it is done but it should work.

Hope this helps

Also does anyone know how to get xaudio2 installed?

Tried all of this and reinstalled everything. I get as far as the White Screen. Switching the Libraries does nothing for me. Feel like I am at a dead end now.

The update goes and finishes. Next it goes to the White Screen. I have waited 30+ minutes every time and it will eventually crash.

Edited by ardisst