Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

Latest update ruined it for me. I can't seem to get passed the update when it was saying it needs to update new DirectX components. Anyone know how to get passed this? Before this update, the game was working before (put 44 hours into it). 

Please add Linux support :(

Edited by Matoro1992

I had that problem but I just followed my steps in the previous post and it works.

Hope this helps matoro1992

I followed yours and I still get the same issue. Ugh, guess going to have to leave Windows up for one game then...

ok i need help i played warframe for the last 2 days on my Linux (zorin) and now i get a white screen on launcher start up and a button that says retry what do i do to fix this?

That means a new launcher executable was downloaded, but for some reason or other the launcher was unable to swap in the new executable. Happens to me for every update that affects the launcher. I don't remember off the top of my head where everything's located, but manually replacing the executables works for me.

I followed yours and I still get the same issue. Ugh, guess going to have to leave Windows up for one game then...

True. I give up on trying to fiddle with this thing. Keep getting the same problem.

Well, Warframe was fun while it lasted. I'll come back once DE releases a Linux port. Maybe by then they'll have a game that's more refined (since it's still tactically in beta).

See yeah later, Tenno!

hey guys, went to install warframe, followed the guide but ran into this issue....

Popup says " the program Launcger.exe has encountered a serious problem and must close"

then the terminal says cuppie@cuppie-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:msi:ITERATE_MigrateFeatureStates migrate feature states from L"{7645476E-F04C-4F61-8C3E-4CFC6A64B816}" version min L"0" version max (null) language (null)
fixme:msi:ITERATE_MigrateFeatureStates migrate feature states from L"{7645476E-F04C-4F61-8C3E-4CFC6A64B816}" version min L"0" version max (null) language (null)
fixme:msi:ITERATE_DuplicateFiles We should track these duplicate files as well
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (3): stub
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
[0501/045721:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(550)] Could not load locale pak for en-US
fixme:ntdll:NtIsProcessInJob stub: 0xffffffff (nil)
fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 56, 0x33e678, (nil) 0x33e67c
fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x33e54c 0x00000ff0 0x33e588) Stub!
[0501/045721:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x33e6b4, overlapped 0xa4ee48): stub
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1008c, filter=0x33e6c0,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1008c, filter=0x33e6c0,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x204e9d8 (nil)): stub
fixme:file:FindFirstFileExW flags not implemented 0x00000002
[0501/045721:ERROR:gpu_info_collector_win.cc(103)] Can't retrieve a valid WinSAT assessment.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e020,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x101397c0, 0x12406a90, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x123ce354, (null), (null), 0x12406aa8): stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33dc78
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x2003a 0x00000000
fixme:msctf:InputProcessorProfileMgr_GetActiveProfile (0x4010060)->({34745c63-b2f0-4784-8b67-5e12c8701a31} 0x33e2f4)
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 003b), starting debugger...
fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x2003a
err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads
fixme:d3d11:D3D11CreateDevice adapter (nil), driver_type D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE, swrast (nil), flags 0, feature_levels 0x33f08c, levels 0x3, sdk_version 7, device 0x15c858, feature_level 0x15c85c, context 0x15c860 stub!
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x101397c0, 0x12406a90, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x123ce354, (null), (null), 0x12406aa8): stub
fixme:gdi:GdiInitializeLanguagePack stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb98,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d9:d3d9_device_CreateTexture Resource sharing not implemented, *shared_handle (nil).

Hmmmm.... That is odd. When ever I do it I download the wine program. Then download The warframe.msi file, then right click on the msi file in my downloads, and make a file named warframe under desktop folder. Then it should  launch and updates for about 30-60 min. 

I never use my terminal.

I hope this helps teno.

Basically, while this is a good theoretical exercise that will help to propel the future of linux gaming development, it is essentially pointless at this time.  The graphics card manufacturers have no financial incentive to support any linux gaming development, so the drivers remain in beta and without consistent updates and adequate support.  I have heard nVidia is doing better in this area than AMD/ATI, but still, it is just not as good as using Windows.  The various interfaces available for using Windows programs on Linux also lag behind in development in the area of gaming.  Whether winE or VirtualBox or whatever, it simply does not measure up to todays gaming standards.  And again it comes down to money.  There must be a financial incentive, such as the need in the business community who have migrated to Linux to continue to run certain Windows applications, for the development of gaming on Linux to measure up to that of Windows gaming.

Until there is a one-click solution in Linux that measures up to the standard set in Windows gaming, Linux will never be the desktop player we all wish it would become.

Until there is a one-click solution in Linux that measures up to the standard set in Windows gaming, Linux will never be the desktop player we all wish it would become.

This is more a problem related to devs than Linux itself. I have linux games on steam (and outside steam)  and all works like a charm, just with one click.

Has anyone with problems tried the more recent guide someone put up on reddit?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/2vh770/

It worked for me when nothing else here did. The game actually plays really well for me now, other than some textures being blacked out (in some cases entire small, dark rooms blacked out on Corpus tiles).

Same here. Performance is good, but I got some black textures on ship. I tried just Mantle map on Earth, and I didn't saw any black texture. Warframe launched through Steam on PlayOnLinux.

System:

Laptop MSI CX61 2PC - Nvidia GEFORCE 820M

12gb RAM

OpenSuSe 13.2 64b

PlayOnLinux with 32b Wine. Checking options..right now All settings low to test about black textures. 45FPS average AFAIR

I'm doing some tests like update to a more recent version of wineprefix, check graphics libs installed and so on ..  something like this things. I'm not an expert, but I will try.

Edited by C4nt3r

Whoa! You are just one major awesome OP. I got warframe up and running with this guide! Thank you! 

All the problems mentioned happened, and it was a bliss to have the solutions handed instantly =D 

I am running elementary OS, with WineHD1.6. I had to wait for the download without having a progress bar (as said). Then I turned off 64bits, de-activated the fullscreen mode and the game ran great - just no sound. I ran the sound terminal code as supplied here and bam... Everything is working great with sound :D 

Gotta love linux! 

Edited by DrachenPrime

So after reading this forum i actually managed to surpass the launcher, just I ran into another issue i haven't figured out.

My connection seems to be refused due to an SSL issue? http://i.imgur.com/OwkPrXd.png

i got this error originally 

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, 

And after reinstalling, I had intially a connection failure message, now the new one in the photo.

I know people on windows have had this issue but i'm rocking Xubuntu 15.04 now, so, yeah.

I can still play this game on windows if i need to just wanted to get it working on linux for tinkering purposes.

Anyone knows how to fix "Update failed! Try again later." I've downloaded whole game, if I launch the Launcher it downloads a 12MB (or around that. And creates a Downloading / Downloaded folder with a Public folder inside it.) update, and then says "Update Failed! Try again later." If I restart it gives me a "Verifying download cache..." and then the update failed error again.

Hmm.. that is sorta strange but ya if you can play on windows than i think you should do that Fenrir. I am not an expert with linux and i ubuntu not Xbuntu but you could try running it through steam. Like the other guys or gals not sure did. I dont know if that helps but i want to help out my fellow tenno.

Thanks everyone one this thread for the help.

Dreman

Hias, I managed to get warframe to run with following the instructions, but instead of trying to use launcher.exe i use another exe in the same folder.

its called LauncherCEF.exe

I have no idea what the difference is :)

Anyone knows how to fix "Update failed! Try again later." I've downloaded whole game, if I launch the Launcher it downloads a 12MB (or around that. And creates a Downloading / Downloaded folder with a Public folder inside it.) update, and then says "Update Failed! Try again later." If I restart it gives me a "Verifying download cache..." and then the update failed error again.

I have been trying to fix this for months, and never could find anything that worked for me until a few days ago. I still have a black textures bug which is annoying in some missions (especially when they're in the dark) but overall it's playable. Anyway, here's the way I fixed it.

First, I have updated wine to the 1.7.47 version.

Then in a terminal I typed : winetricks wininet

It seemed to update the game but when I was on the login screen, I could not login.

To fix this, I opened the wine configuration window, in the 'Libraries' tab I selected wininet and changed the settings from 'native, integrated' to 'integrated, native'.

The game seems to update now. It works for hotfixes, I'm assuming it will be the same for big updates but there's no way to find out before one is released. Fingers crossed it works.

I hope this helps you and fixes your problem.

Edited by CountrifiedSoul

So after reading this forum i actually managed to surpass the launcher, just I ran into another issue i haven't figured out.

My connection seems to be refused due to an SSL issue? http://i.imgur.com/OwkPrXd.png

i got this error originally

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually,

And after reinstalling, I had intially a connection failure message, now the new one in the photo.

I know people on windows have had this issue but i'm rocking Xubuntu 15.04 now, so, yeah.

I can still play this game on windows if i need to just wanted to get it working on linux for tinkering purposes.

About the original error, it looks like your system is missing two things :

- libgnutls (possibly 64 and 32 bits depending on your install)

- the ntlm_auth component which is contained in the winbind package in Ubuntu http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/amd64/winbind/filelist which is a dependancy of samba. For Arch users, it is included in the samba package.

About the picture, changing the wininet library configuration from 'native, integrated' to 'integrated, native' as mentioned above by CountrifiedSoul did the trick for me.

Hope it helps.

That means a new launcher executable was downloaded, but for some reason or other the launcher was unable to swap in the new executable. Happens to me for every update that affects the launcher. I don't remember off the top of my head where everything's located, but manually replacing the executables works for me.

I just would like to express my sincere thanks to this comment. I have been reinstalling the whole warfare every time DE makes an update and actually with the latest one not even that works. Doing the manual replace solve the issue.

Thanks man!!!

Good day Tennos I got the game to start up . But im getting an error when I try to login.I have tried to look this up but im having no hope

the error is///login failed.could not connect to sever.httpsendrequest(https://ToS violation/api/login.php)failed (error_internet_security_channel_error)..............

I have looked up that (https://ToS violation/api/login.php)  its nothing  but a dead end site...I have tried doing that ie8 component with winetricks. That did not seem to do anything. if its a component it will be simple to get running.But it seems to me something more i hope one tenno can help me 

This is the last thing i need to get work so i can play with my fellow tennos thank you for your time : ) 

Good day Tennos I got the game to start up . But im getting an error when I try to login.I have tried to look this up but im having no hope

the error is///login failed.could not connect to sever.httpsendrequest(https://ToS violation/api/login.php)failed (error_internet_security_channel_error)..............

I have looked up that (https://ToS violation/api/login.php)  its nothing  but a dead end site...I have tried doing that ie8 component with winetricks. That did not seem to do anything. if its a component it will be simple to get running.But it seems to me something more i hope one tenno can help me 

This is the last thing i need to get work so i can play with my fellow tennos thank you for your time : )

I had the same error and managed to get it working. Have you tried what I posted above?

I have been trying to fix this for months, and never could find anything that worked for me until a few days ago. I still have a black textures bug which is annoying in some missions (especially when they're in the dark) but overall it's playable. Anyway, here's the way I fixed it.

First, I have updated wine to the 1.7.47 version.

Then in a terminal I typed : winetricks wininet

It seemed to update the game but when I was on the login screen, I could not login.

To fix this, I opened the wine configuration window, in the 'Libraries' tab I selected wininet and changed the settings from 'native, integrated' to 'integrated, native'.

Edited by CountrifiedSoul