The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Constant Driver Crashes With Nvidia Gtx 970

GravesTheOutlaw

I've had problems recently with Warframe repeatedly crashing my GPU driver while playing. These are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 970 (base version, not AMP! Extreme or OMEGA) 
RAM: 8 GB RAM, single stick 

2 monitors. One 1920x1080, one 1680x1050

I've been told that overclocking the GPU causes problems with the Evolution Engine. Despite this, I did some experimenting and found some interesting results. When I overclock to my usual max stable specs (this causes no problems even on demanding engines like Frostbite 3) I usually crash within the first 5 minutes of Warframe. I then decided to reset my overclock back to the factory overclock (default clock 1076, boost clock 1216, memory clock 1753 (7012), all in MHz). This also caused crashing within the first 5 minutes of Warframe or so. I then tried to remove the factory overclock and get as close to the Nvidia reference specs as possible. The Nvidia reference specs are 1050 base clock, 1178 boost clock, and and 1750 (7000) memory clock. I set my "reference clock" as 1037 base clock, 1177 boost clock, and 1750 (7000) memory clock. This is by far the most unstable, crashing within 1-2 minutes of getting into game.

What got my attention the most was when I tried playing around with my overclocks to try to find a solution I found that an intermediate overclock was the most stable for Warframe (even though I've been told numerous times Evolution Engine hates overclocking). The most stable intermediate overclock I've found in the past month is 1246 base clock, 1386 boost clock, and 1903 memory clock. I can go a couple to several hours in Warframe with this without crashing, though the crashes still happen. What I'm trying to figure out is how I can stop this crashing.

I've already tried the usual suspects. I've messed around with turning Physx on and off to no avail. Optimizing the download cache (from the launcher) doesn't do anything. Disconnecting my second monitor and only using one monitor doesn't help, the crashes still happen. I've also tried playing with my power settings (core voltage and power %) without much success. I've tried everything from +0 to +37 mV for core voltage, and 85%-106% for my power. It's all the same, I get the crashes, so if there is a problem it is in the core/memory clock. I should mention that the crashes tend to only happen during more intense combat (usually Tower Voids, especially survivals). Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? 

I forgot to add some pertinent information. 
My GPU driver version is 347.52 (the latest release). However, I have tried all the drivers back to 344.75 (November 18, 2014), and the crashing still persists.  I also do clean installs, i.e. removing the driver from device manager before installing.

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

(It's really hard to read your text in black, on the dark theme)

I have a 970 as well, not Zotac, MSI and I haven't really touched the clock settings, and i've experienced several chain crashes in the past, usually in long endless missions, but not always, and sometimes they just stop, I have the latest stable version of my drivers as well, hope someone can help you out.

Any specific crash reports ?

At first, it seems like a driver related problem. Happened with me when I had the Mantle drivers for AMD however the Omega drivers fixed all the glaring issues for me.

Not to be an elitist or a fanboy, but is the 970 trying to utilize the full 4GB VRAM ? Since the ramgate issue persists, I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU was expecting hiccups trying to ramp up processes through the reduced RoPs and portioned VRAMs.

Edited by Bawalbaba

Any specific crash reports ?

It just either straight CTD's or just gives the vague "Driver has stopped and responding" bubble in the taskbar.

Not to be an elitist or a fanboy, but is the 970 trying to utilize the full 4GB VRAM ? Since the ramgate issue persists, I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU was expecting hiccups trying to ramp up processes through the reduced RoPs and portioned VRAMs.

It could be a possibility, but I don't exactly know what I can do about that.

this is a known issue that they have not fixed this game does not like overclocking on nv gpus,i can run it all day at stock on my 970,any overclock even overclocks that are stable on other games/benchmarks etc that can run all day,any overclock will crash wf mid game

Edited by TheSilverBackWolf

this is a known issue that they have not fixed this game does not like overclocking on nv gpus,i can run it all day at stock on my 970,any overclock even overclocks that are stable on other games/benchmarks etc that can run all day,any overclock will crash wf mid game

Sorry for the semi-necro, haven't had much internet access the past few days.

What are your "stock" clock values?  As stated in the OP, I crash when I have my "stock" values, as in factory overclock, and "stock" values as in downclocking to the reference clock.

This Vram issue is not an issue at all. It's been proven by many outlets, most recently eurogamer.

The only time it becomes an issue is when you purposefully run a framebuffer to stupid levels. The driver manages the cards Vram very well with credit to the Nvidia engineers.

I can even add my useless 2c to that. I can purposefully run my card to the 3.5GB limit, and there is no performance issues at 'sane' resolutions.

As stupid as their naming conventions are, I run a Super Superclocked GPU (it truly is a ridiculous name). No issues with my clock frequencies causing crashes.

-snip-

The 8320 + OC 970 may be pulling too much power from your PSU, maybe?

Are both overclocked?

What PSU do you use, and what motherboard?

The 8320 + OC 970 may be pulling too much power from your PSU, maybe?

Are both overclocked?

What PSU do you use, and what motherboard?

Both are OC'd.

This is my most stable 970 configuration for running warframe: http://puu.sh/gEHnF/22ebe51e06.jpg

I have an Antec 500 W PSU.  It should be sufficient for anything I'm pushing through my PC.

My Mobo is the 760GM-P34(FX) (model number MS-7641).  Technically, if there was a hardware problem, it would be here.  However, it doesn't even let me overclock the voltage on my FX-8320, so I don't think it's actually causing me to crash.

Speaking of which, these are my CPU overclock stats: http://puu.sh/gEHL6/e917e0b8ee.png

I can go dig up my max NB frequency too if you want.

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

TheSilverBackWolf, on 13 Mar 2015 - 5:05 PM, said:snapback.png

MillbrookWest

"As stupid as their naming conventions are, I run a Super Superclocked GPU (it truly is a ridiculous name). No issues with my clock frequencies causing crashes."

yeah i use g1 970 they come ocd also,jus crashes more often with any added overclock only on this game same overclocks stable on all other games,is all im sayin

Edited by TheSilverBackWolf

Tried running with stock factory values today (didn't even start up MSI Afterburner) - my driver crashed within the first few minutes of T4 Survival.  There's clearly a problem with the way my GPU is interacting with my game, but I'm not sure how.  Sent a ticket in last week to support and still awaiting a response.  In the meantime, anyone else's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Running a Galax GTX 970 Black Edition at 1.4GHz and Warframe is no more or less stable than it was on my GTX 760 or HD5850 before that. 

The way the GTX 970 has its RAM and ROPs setup wouldn't be the cause. Warframe will barely use more than 1.5GB of ram at 1080p. Even when I play at 3840x2160, ram usage doesn't touch 3GB. 

My two cents is to make sure that in the Nvidia CP, 'Power Management Mode' is set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Warframe doesn't really stress this card and the constant clock changes could cause instabilities if your power supply has a weak +12v rail (Wattage and amps don't mean a lot if it can't filter and give stable power).

Edited by Snougar

• 4 months later...