The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Lotus Is Evil?

TyCg6pv.jpg

From here it seems like the Lotus is not only centuries old, but also a manipulative force, that grows admidst corruption. Is it possible that this is foreshadowing the Lotus is evil or not as benevolent as we may think?

Why else would DE use Lotus like this? Why would she return in Warframe? Is she actually twisted (this line is said with disgust)? Are we blind to what's really going on?

That's Dark Sector....

And it refers to the lotus FLOWER, most well known for its place in Indian culture... especially the ridiculously large blossoms that appear in the Ganges, which is a famously disgusting (if sacred) river.

Edited by nullqasael

That's Dark Sector....

And it refers to the lotus FLOWER, most well known for its place in Indian culture... especially the ridiculously large blossoms that appear in the ganges, which is a famously disgusting river.

But why is Lotus capitolized like this? And why would it be used again in Warframe?

I think by now everyone should be aware that while DE liberally recycle terms and names from Dark Sector, no direct correlation should be drawn between the two games, considering they have, themselves, stated that Warframe is a "spiritual successor to Dark Sector, in a way the game they wanted to make in the first place, but does not take place in the same universe"

But why is Lotus capitolized like this? And why would it be used again in Warframe?

Because the lotus is an important motif in both games.

In Dark Sector, the White Lotus is an underground rebel group that sells you random crap. The symbols turn up on Mezner's goons, Hayden and Nemesis' arms, random buildings, and of course the manholes of the White Lotus.

In Warframe, the Lotus is our mysterious "mission control". The symbols appear on the Grineer, the Vandal weapons, the arms of some Warframes, some Corpus symbols, among other things.

It's just an allusion to an older work. There is no further connection between the games.

I don't see any connection between the (stupid) description of Lotus in Dark Sector and Warframe. Did you never hear anything about the Lotus effect, which made those blossoms symbols for purity, enlightment and loyalty?

The devs have said many times over that the only connection between Dark Sector and Warframe is art style and name similarity. The lore is not connected at all.

I was not aware of this.

Because the lotus is an important motif in both games.

In Dark Sector, the White Lotus is an underground rebel group that sells you random crap. The symbols turn up on Mezner's goons, Hayden and Nemesis' arms, random buildings, and of course the manholes of the White Lotus.

In Warframe, the Lotus is our mysterious "mission control". The symbols appear on the Grineer, the Vandal weapons, the arms of some Warframes, some Corpus symbols, among other things.

It's just an allusion to an older work. There is no further connection between the games.

Why would the lotus symbol appear on the Grineer?

I was not aware of this.

Why would the lotus symbol appear on the Grineer?

I assume it's just a motif, in which case there doesn't need to be a reason. It's on their armored "collars" though, tilted and overlayed by another copy of the Lotus symbol.

To clarify the context of the screenshot, the "Lotus" being referred to there is the Technocyte virus, which the protagonist has just been infected with.

Ah, that's a relief...clears it up. Thanks! ;)

I don't see any connection between the (stupid) description of Lotus in Dark Sector and Warframe. Did you never hear anything about the Lotus effect, which made those blossoms symbols for purity, enlightment and loyalty?

They're symbols of purity for exactly the reason Mezner mentions: They grow from mud and water, but float above it, untouched by the pollution of their origin.

Well, except the bit about decay. No idea what Mezner's talking about there.

They're symbols of purity for exactly the reason Mezner mentions: They grow from mud and water, but float above it, untouched by the pollution of their origin.

Again, like I said -- the Ganges. People throw corpses and all sort of horrid crap in that river.

I still think it would be cool to see DE expand on the lore of lotus and the stalker.

They'll get to it eventually. The lore isn't exactly top priority at the moment. It's more important to them to get everything gameplay-wise in first.

Exactly, they stay clean and pure, because their blossoms are liquid repellent. It doesn't make any sense to associate this with evil in my opinion. Almost every kind of plant grows on decayed organic material, fertile soil, so it seems to be strange to highlight this with regards to the Lotus, which is a water plant with liquid repellent blossoms, so definetely the least "dirty" plant.

Again, like I said -- the Ganges. People throw corpses and all sort of horrid crap in that river.

Logically, you'd think they'd treat a river they consider sacred better, but us humans can be anything but logical. XD

Edited by Braken

i forgot if it was in a livestream or region chat but steve said "this is basically Dark Sector 2" he said it him self like last week i think in region chat if im not mistaken. after answering some questions, he was asked "when does dark sector 2 come out" lol

Edited by W4RM4CHIN3

Exactly, they stay clean and pure, because their blossoms are liquid repellent. It doesn't make any sense to associate this with evil in my opinion. Almost every kind of plant grows on decayed organic material, fertile soil, so it seems to be strange to highlight this with regards to the Lotus, which is a water plant with liquid repellent blossoms, so definetely the least "dirty" plant.

Mezner isn't associating it with evil, he considers the Technocyte virus the next step in human evolution. The "filth and decay" being referred to in the quote is Hayden Tenno, or more broadly humanity.

Mezner isn't associating it with evil, he considers the Technocyte virus the next step in human evolution. The "filth and decay" being referred to in the quote is Hayden Tenno, or more broadly humanity.

The TE does, not Mezner or who might be talking.