Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternate Melee Fighting Styles.

Jamesbiff

As the title says. Maybe a way of unlocking alternate ways of using weapons? There are a myriad of real life fighting styles in the real world for the swords alone that would translate well. Would be something cool to add a bit of variety to the melee combat which is already insanely satisfying.

Could either be an Aesthetic thing or something that changes stats. Could be a drop from alerts? but you have to train it by doing missions and using your melee weapon. Or maybe something a bit less grindy?

Edited by Jamesbiff

A simple way to put it is that the game has no need for something like this :/ although it would look cooler the idea of farming for fighting styles doesn't peek much interest.Also the game is mostly farming for mods, something less grindy would be a common drop that drops easier then sentinel mods.

Edited by Mustemploy

In the latest dev interview they talked about introducing melee manouvers to spice up combat so you might get new posiibilities in this direction.

Still, this is not a brawler game (yet). Ninjas don't do different styles, they use the most effecient style for each weapon. :-)

Might be cool, might not, who knows... but I'd prefer at least getting proper vertical aiming for melee attacks first. Annoying trying to attack downed enemies when you just swing horizontally right over them and so forth.

I agree, there's an execution type attack for enemies that are downed but from my experience its not very efficient, and plus I'm sure its not exactly the best option in a high intensity situation. Unlockable different styles would be cool i think, or maybe different types of generic melee attacks, on being vertical and one horizontal.

A simple way to put it is that the game has no need for something like this :/ although it would look cooler the idea of farming for fighting styles doesn't peek much interest.Also the game is mostly farming for mods, something less grindy would be a common drop that drops easier then sentinel mods.

Actually, I think it does need this. Powers are great, but the majority of the game is being able to effectively gun down enemies while occasionally using a charge attack to save bullets and/or clean out a group of infested.

Edited by Stygi

In the latest dev interview they talked about introducing melee manouvers to spice up combat so you might get new posiibilities in this direction.

Still, this is not a brawler game (yet). Ninjas don't do different styles, they use the most effecient style for each weapon. :-)

Actually, on that last note, I don't think that's entirely true.  While it is true that ninjas as a whole adhere to similar sets of ideals (I think), I think there are different methods for each individual ninja to accomplish their task, something that I think goes beyond simple weapon or Warframe preference in this kind of context.

So, knowing that, I don't think it's that implausible for different styles to be adopted by different players depending on their preferences or playstyles.

Historically, if we are referencing the culture the Tenno are clearly based off, fighting styles were a subject of family/house pride. With each striving for dominance.

There are a great many recorded, but some are more famous and still practiced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C5%8D_Jikiden_Eishin-ry%C5%AB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niten_Ichi-ry%C5%AB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenshin_Sh%C5%8Dden_Katori_Shint%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB

Warfare, for the culture, was as much about honour as it was winning, fighting styles with weapons were revered and masters of styles have gone down in history for their dedication to their styles. Many films focusing on that era have this is a central tenant too, Seven Samurai for instance.

The role of Ninjas was greatly overplayed too and there is a great deal of misinformation about their origins and more importantly their role in warfare. Whilst i respect your opinion, i wouldnt rely on the popular representation of Ninja to reinforce a point.

Edited by Jamesbiff

I agree, there's an execution type attack for enemies that are downed but from my experience its not very efficient, and plus I'm sure its not exactly the best option in a high intensity situation. Unlockable different styles would be cool i think, or maybe different types of generic melee attacks, on being vertical and one horizontal.

The problem with the "execution" is that it can only be done once per enemy. Say you knock down an Ancient or other tough enemy and also freeze it, making it fall down and get up very slowly. Then you do the execution. Then you're still left with several seconds until it's back up and many of your swings miss while he's just laying there.