Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Powers Shouldn´t Be Mods!

r0ckwolf

Hi, i´ve been playin this game a bit now and i wondered from the start about this. I have an Supercharged Xcal lvl 30 and really want to try out different Mod combinations, like goin for mobility and high Power resources or pure damage or pure tank, etc..

however i feel like since you essentialy only get 6 mod slots for your Warframe (4 are reserved for your abilities), im not able to do so! Of course i could put somethig else in one of the slots but not only wouldn´t it be the right polarity wich would make the mod more expensive energy wise, it also is really undesireable, since your abilities are always incredible valuable!

So wouldnt it make much more sense to not make the abilities mods and let them level up with your Frame, like every 5 lvls or so. It seems quiet obvious that this would be better for the game flow and the feel of progression, since you really would feel your Frame gettin stronger with lvls. Also moding a Frame would become much more strategic, at the moment i think u always have to go for a couple of tank mods to survive the latter levels regardless of wich Frame you are playin, wich leaves you with even less options to toy around with.

I think this would be an awesome change only for the better, what are your thoughts?? How can we get the Developers to consider this?

P.S.: Another brilliant addition would be if the customization screen, would show the Stats and Health for the Warframe, this would be so much more immersive and fit right in with the rpg like progression, we already have the wiki for that, but it would be really nice if there was more information displayed in the game.

Funny, i was just thinking the same thing as i was watching the livestream from the other day.

These abilities shouldn't be mods, but i don't think it's top priority to do anything about that atm, maybe in update 9.0 or later in 8.x

Edited by rabcor

I agree with your PS suggestion.  The other thing I would like is to be able to see the effects that the mods have on damage and rof.

I dont agree with your main point though. And the reason is simple: it makes you have to actually think about what to put into your frame. Do you include ability X for 3 to 5 points or do you level up a different mod 3 to 5 points or just include a new one?

It adds more depth to the system and also allows players to better customize their frames to fit their playing style: do they use abilities more and go for streamline/continuity/focus?   Or do they only use 1 or 2 abilities and go for more shields and health, maybe a faster run speed or more stamina?  In Excalibur's case I dont use super jump at all as I find it useless.   I dont equip it and use the mod points for continuity to increase the duration of radial blind.  For Ash I dont include teleport, instead I have focus to buff the damage of shuriken and bladestorm.

It allows me to build my frame differently than someone else who might use all 4 abilities and throw in mods to increase their power while I increase my survivability and use more gunplay.

Edited by Tsukinoki

There will be more ability mods for all the frames, your topic is moot.

That's true. The point of having this mod system instead of power rigidly attached to each frame is the fact that DE will be able to add more alternate powers in future updates. Right now, if you don't want to use certain abilities then you can skip them in order to add other high level mods.

Be patient, this has been addressed by DE.

bein able to swap abilities is something that sounds cool, but couldn´t that also be done in the way that im suggesting it?! I´m just sayin that it doesnt seem neccessary that the abilities share the same pool as the mods, and since there will be even more mods in the future to customize your frame, the mod pool seems to small if shared with your abilities.

Also i think the abilities arent something that you should be encouraged to give up for lets say more health, even if you find some of them less usefull.

And as far as my Mainpoint goes, i think i didn´t explain it right, it seems to me that regardless of the Frame as soon as you hit lvl 30+ enemys all that counts is bein tanky. So if u always need tank mods and in most cases your abilities too, there is very little room left for actual customization, thats what i was tryin to say!^^

! I´m just sayin that it doesnt seem neccessary that the abilities share the same pool as the mods, 

What is your argument that its not necessary? What exactly is your measure of necessity?

Your personal preference? Your like, dislike?

I like this idea, but I do have a simple suggestion: make it so you always have 4 powers equipt, but none take a slot. At present all warframs have the four powers that come with the frame, when a fifth is introduced (rather per frame or one anyone can use) you can choose which 4 to take. If you have 8 options, you choose which 4 to take.

Further every X levels of your warframe (lets say 5 like the OP) could level 1 of your currently equipt abilities. It would be a modular pool that could be reassigned at any time outside of a mission. At lvl 30 you would have 6 points, so you could have 2 lvl 3 abilities, or 3 lvl 2 abilities, or 2 lvl 1 and 2 lvl 2 abilities, etc.

If patatoes effected this, so at lvl 60 you had 12 points, make it so lvl 1-2 cost 1 per and lvl 3 costs 2, so it costs 4 to make it lvl 3. Then, at 60, you could have 3 lvl 3 (4x3=12) abilities, or 2 lvl 3 and 2 lvl 2 (4x2 + 2x2=12) abilities. Of course non-patatoed frames at 30 could only have 1 lvl 3 and 2 lvl 1 (4 + 1x2 = 6) or 1 lvl 3 and 1 lvl 2 (4 + 2 = 6) ability if they wanted a lvl 3 ability.

Did that make any sense?

EDIT: I do not expect this to be implemented, as the current system works well. Plus, when we can change the polarity of slots later costomization will be much better, making this much less useful of an update. It is, however, an interesting idea.

Edited by liavalenth

What is your argument that its not necessary? What exactly is your measure of necessity?

Your personal preference? Your like, dislike?

what kind of reply/question is that? Its a game! so yes, it´s a matter of my personal preference, like/dislike, as far as i think it would give a better feel of progression and freedom of customization to the player, ergo me! My measure of necessity is implied in that argument and doesn´t seem to need more explanation.

what kind of reply/question is that? Its a game! so yes, it´s a matter of my personal preference,

Your dislike or like is not a valid form of argumentation for gameplay changes that impact everyone.

bein able to swap abilities is something that sounds cool, but couldn´t that also be done in the way that im suggesting it?! I´m just sayin that it doesnt seem neccessary that the abilities share the same pool as the mods, and since there will be even more mods in the future to customize your frame, the mod pool seems to small if shared with your abilities.

Also i think the abilities arent something that you should be encouraged to give up for lets say more health, even if you find some of them less usefull.

And as far as my Mainpoint goes, i think i didn´t explain it right, it seems to me that regardless of the Frame as soon as you hit lvl 30+ enemys all that counts is bein tanky. So if u always need tank mods and in most cases your abilities too, there is very little room left for actual customization, thats what i was tryin to say!^^

As far as I understand, you want 14 slots. 4 of which will be only for power and 10 will be customizable.

High lv enemies doesn't mean player have to mod frame to be tanky. Right now, I mainly playing Saryn and the only durability-related mod I use (for all frames) is fast deflection. I don't use redirection. I don't use vitality. I don't see the point of having high armor. Before the implementation of passive stat increase, I'd be the first who wholeheartedly agree with you. However, currently durability mods are 'optional'. Something you can live without.

Less space means players need to be more creative about how they play and how they augment frame with mods. Learning to survive without redirection/vitality is a part of learning curve since it opens a lot of possibilities regarding builds and playstyles. With future update, more mods will be introduced and players who can play without these mods will have an advantage in customization.

Your dislike or like is not a valid form of argumentation for gameplay changes that impact everyone.

its the only valid form of argumentation for a game wich purpose it is to be fun, as long as other people think these changes would be fun too.

its the only valid form of argumentation for a game wich purpose it is to be fun, as long as other people think these changes would be fun too.

I think those changes would make it less fun, homogenize all warframes to be good at everything at any time and create a situation that is tactically and strategically uninteresting.

Now what?

Convince me with an actual argument.

I think those changes would make it less fun, &*$$genize all warframes to be good at everything at any time and create a situation that is tactically and strategically uninteresting.

Now what?

Convince me with an actual argument.

You have every right to find my inital argument of having 4 exclusive Powerslots seperate from the modslots unappealing. I  dont see how the warframes would be homogenized though, they differenciate themselfs already very much through their abillities.  it would simply make room for mods like handspring or thiefs wit, which at the moment, with the highly limited modspace are near to useless, also sine there are gonna be more mods in the future the space will only become more limited.

I would like to discuss how this game can be made better and even more fun then it already is, so i don´t feel a real need to convince you about anything, i´m only sharing ideas which i think would be fun, it may very well be that once implemented these changes wouldn´t be so great, but maybe you could contribute to this discussion in a way that may help.

or do you think the game is perfect as it is and nothing should change at all??!!! 

You have every right to find my inital argument of having 4 exclusive Powerslots seperate from the modslots unappealing. I  dont see how the warframes would be &*$$genized though, they differenciate themselfs already very much through their abillities.  it would simply make room for mods like handspring or thiefs wit, which at the moment, with the highly limited modspace are near to useless, also sine there are gonna be more mods in the future the space will only become more limited.

In essence you just want the mod-space expanded by another 4 slots so you can slot all the non Warframe specific mods at the same time.

i.e. 14 slots instead of 10

You do not see how this would imbalance and homogenize the gameplay?

If I could slot Health, Shields, Shield Regen, Armor, Power+, Energy+ and Energy Efficiency, Sprint and Stamina, stamina regen, what choices would I need to make to select my loadout?

The current 6 slots make it necessary to adjust your loadout to your playstyle, with 10 open slots the loadout options are -more limited- since we only have 16 non WF-specific mods.

While the slots -are- limiting thats what they are for, to create a strategic variety of loadouts for your Warframe to exploit.

You run a Rhino with a Hek? You probably want to be faster to close distance, you slot Sprint and Stamina mods.

You run a Mag that can pull enemies towards her with a Hek? You slot energy and energy efficiency.

ETC. QED

In essence you just want the mod-space expanded by another 4 slots so you can slot all the non Warframe specific mods at the same time.

i.e. 14 slots instead of 10

You do not see how this would imbalance and &*$$genize the gameplay?

If I could slot Health, Shields, Shield Regen, Armor, Power+, Energy+ and Energy Efficiency, Sprint and Stamina, stamina regen, what choices would I need to make to select my loadout?

The current 6 slots make it necessary to adjust your loadout to your playstyle, with 10 open slots the loadout options are -more limited- since we only have 16 non WF-specific mods.

While the slots -are- limiting thats what they are for, to create a strategic variety of loadouts for your Warframe to exploit.

You run a Rhino with a Hek? You probably want to be faster to close distance, you slot Sprint and Stamina mods.

You run a Mag that can pull enemies towards her with a Hek? You slot energy and energy efficiency.

ETC. QED

i totally agree that too many modslots would imbalance/overpower certain warframes.

But don´t you think that there could be some middleground like making some mods more expenssive, i just think that as the number of mods is goin to increase the options for customization are gonna get more and more limited and some mods won´t be worth to take in your loadout at all.

like thiefs wit or marathon etc., but the most important thing in my opinion thing is that you shouldn´t be encouraged to give up your abilities. 

you should want those all the time, if some of them are useless right now, i think thats another balance discussion. i for one haven´t found an ability yet that i wouldn´t want in my loadout, simply because they are all fun to use and i dont wanna give up a fun ability in favour of health or some damage % only to make higher level enemys easier.

P.S.: just to get it straight, i dont just want 4 more modslots, the 4 abiltiy modslots in my suggestion should be ability exclusive, so u dont get to install 14 mods of any kind, you would always have 4 abilities and a max of 10 mods. 

P.S.: just to get it straight, i dont just want 4 more modslots, the 4 abiltiy modslots in my suggestion should be ability exclusive, so u dont get to install 14 mods of any kind, you would always have 4 abilities and a max of 10 mods. 

You got 4 slots for ability and 10 slots for mod. That's 4 more slots you can use thus 14 slots.

You got 4 slots for ability and 10 slots for mod. That's 4 more slots you can use thus 14 slots.

yes it is.^^ but at the moment you can have 10 mods of any kind ability or not, i would like to have ability exclusive slots or rather abilities not bein mods at all so you have 10 mod slots and not 14. there is a difference! ;)

yes it is.^^ but at the moment you can have 10 mods of any kind ability or not, i would like to have ability exclusive slots or rather abilities not bein mods at all so you have 10 mod slots and not 14. there is a difference! ;)

There will be a point in the future that even 10 slots won't be able to hold all the mods that you consider desirable. Moreover, if you take that many mods in your frame then all of them will be low level due to limited mod capacity. 

As i posted in the first page. You can have 6 slots for customization. If you spend 4 of them for vitality/steel fiber/redirection/fast deflection then it's your choice of making a tank out of your frame. On the other hand, if you learn not to use these mods then suddenly you will have more slots to play around while customizing your frame.

It's the way Warframe create depth in customization with limited complexity. Take that away and there's nothing to decide when player customizing the frame.