Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Forget Sword Alone...

EX-Zanki

Well this is not new, most people that tried sword alone (or any melee alone) know it's potential to be very fun, but there is tthings that must be checked in order to make it playable:

Why sword alone?, because it's fun or at least it's meant to be fun...

Why check it?, because it's not completely playable, details below...

Why I'm posting?, i'd like sword alone to be fun and playable with every warframe.

Sword alone it's a ¿game mode? that depends largely on stamina to perform most things, want to counter? stamina, want to block? stamina, want to run to avoid being hit? stamina....

So what is the problem with stamina?... it's mechanics are obsolete to the evolution of the game...

In the beginning of Warframe there was no proper melee play, it was just slash slash slash until death...either of you or your enemy... so stamina was there to control your sprinting.. aditionally it was there to control your blocking capability IF you had the block mod equipped... and nothing else, but overall it was a more friendly place to just melee given the fact there were less enemies and less capable enemies, stun wasn't there, area of effects attacks didn't proc explosive, and except the scorpion and the shield lancer you were always on your feet... infested were very very easy to melee...

But the game evolved, new enemies, new mechanics, a first attempt to create a melee system and with that...stamina became a catalyst to new moves above described...

Melee 2.0 was a step forward to promote this kind of gameplay, but actually if you decide to use just a melee weapon, you are getting yourself at disadvantage... stamina runs from fast to very fast depending on Weapon (because some weapons consume more stamina), enemies (laser tech guy or corpus in general), and warframe (some frames got it easier than others).. yes there are mods that counter this same disadvantages.. but that gain is little to nothing if you run missions past level 20...any faction...

Channeling is another good idea that in my opinion never went full circle.. actual channeling mods and channeling overall is very lacking for it's potential... that mod that allows you to do damage while blocking is could also be tweaked..

I think this actual game has made gun play the norm and semmingly punishes those who dare carry just a melee weapon... should it be like this?...I propose simple changes that would open new worlds of possibilities...

- Change stamina consumption on block to average damage.. to number of hits..

- Increase overall stamina for every Warframe on sword alone.

- Increase regen rate of stamina on sword alone.

- Decrease stamina consumption per hit on every heavy weapon..

- 30% damage increase on sword alone...

- 30% speed increase on sowrd alone...

I think that wouldn't make melee play op...this game is forever beta so we can test... of course there are more things to try...

keep stamina in pvp only.

as it stands stamina drains when blocking (while not being hit) in pvp and it does not in pve.

blocking is too over powered in PVP without stamina so that can stay but its not necessary in pve. theres a whole huge thread about it

keep stamina in pvp only.
as it stands stamina drains when blocking (while not being hit) in pvp and it does not in pve.
blocking is too over powered in PVP without stamina so that can stay but its not necessary in pve. theres a whole huge thread about it

I would say this has a lot to do with how much damage is being blocked.

In PVP, the weapons seem to be doing very little damage, so there isn't much damage being blocked, so stamina needs to drain faster to make up for it, otherwise players can block forever. It's like blocking against really low level enemies.

In PVE, we run into the problem of stamina being gone before we can even close the gap with our enemies to hit them, because the stamina drain is scaling up way too much with the damage being blocked.

I'd like to see the stamina drain be mostly separated from the damage for PVE, so that blocking actually serves to block more than one or two hits at higher levels. I say mostly, because it should drain based mostly on how many hits you're blocking, so you lose stamina faster vs a crowd of enemies firing at you than you would against one or two, but the extremes would need to be balanced out. A couple of grakatas would drain it too fast if it's only based on the number of hits, and a ballista drains it completely on its own if it's based only on damage. Needs a way to average these things out. Dare I say, THIS is where they should do something like their ridiculous nullifier bubble drain calculations, so that there's a maximum amount that can be drained per second or per frame.

So, simple idea: base how much stamina is drained based on what hits the block, not on the stamina drain of the weapon or how much damage the shot does. Edited by Centias