Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Messing Around With Melee (Just For Fun)

Mathemagics

Question

im messing around with melee only build (just for fun)

atm using excal and scindo P

excal build:

steel charge

vitality              rage              flow                 handspring/(or) constitution

rush             steel fiber/(or)?        marathon          quick rest

Scindo P:

Tempo royale

shocing touch       focus energy         berserker    pressure point

true steel               molten impact      fury              life strike

I would really like your feedback on wich one is better or even needed, handspring or constitution ? although i dont really seem to need eather becouse scindo had good momentum and i dont get knocked down much but i would like to have one of these just for if **** happens or i might use other weapons later.

Also i would like to get your toughts on steel fiber how useful its on excal or should i switch it for smthg else? (smthg for survivability).

And yes i have a lot of stamina mods because blocking meleeing and sprinting really eats up lots of it and rush cause  i seem to need that speed  for closing up also it seems fasten some ??animations??:D

(sry my bad english)

EDITED: pm im using skills like slashdash for movement and radial blind for cc also i carry a secondary just dont want to switch to it often mainly melee (just to clarify).Seems i get small benefit from constitution to skill what im intrested how much better is handspring at standing up 

Edited by Mathemagics

9 answers to this question

For Excal Melee spec, you will want the Javelin augment that increasing melee damage when used.

You also don't really need marathon or quick rest as they really aren't necessary.

I also see you have Flow and Rage but no Quickthinking? Those three mods go hand in hand, but again probably not necessary as Excal has mediocre energy.

I would also consider using your Super Jump to get you into combat as it also has stealth so no worries about being a flying pinata. It also works great for getting you out of trouble, so you will want to spend some time forcing yourself to use it to best get in the habbit of using it.

As well, still a great ability despite the nay sayers, is Radial Blind. So your going to want some Range in your build, I would even go for max range with Overextended and Stretch to make sure you can get everything in the room as not to be getting pounded from range. Use your Super Jump and hit RB to maximize LoS to all enemies, followed up by axe chopping madness a lumberjack would be envious of.

Once you land in the mix of mobs, use Javelin once and then go to town with your Scindo. Naturally on lower level stuff your Javelin will just kill them, but on stronger mobs it won't and then your melee is amped up even more.

You will also want to throw in some efficiency to allow you to use your abilities to get in, out and amp melee damage. Anyone can do Melee, but it's what each frame brings to make the style unique and effective.

Sinse your in melee primarily, Reflex Guard and Reflection will work great for keeping you alive and throw back some free damage as long as it's on your front facing. Rage along with a weapon that has Life Strike will allow you to get health back and get some energy back as you take health damage so you will be able to RB / SJ.

So I would look at something like

Steel Charge

Vitality / Reflex Guard / Reflection / Rage.

Overextended / Stretch / Streamline / Rush

Your weapon I would suggest modding it for Corrosive damage and status to get those procs to reduce enemy armor, even though not all mobs like infested will have it, but your covered when they do. Scindo is also good for status build so the dual stat mods for status are preferable.

Heavy weapons like the Scindo as well has innate resistance to knockdown when swinging it so learning to time your swings for certain mobs / defenses will negate their CC.

Fury and Beserker will make this thing attack fast, but you won't need to mod for crit and want some damage in their so I would only go with one speed mod, Fury or Beserker.

Tempo Royale

Life Strike / Beserker / Electricity mod / Toxic mod

Pressure Point / Spoiled Strike / True Steel / Organ Shatter

I run very similar to this build up for Excal and I love it. Even though you want just for fun which it is, this build will serve you all the way into end game as melee as it's worked for me.

For Excal Melee spec, you will want the Javelin augment that increasing melee damage when used.

From what i recall the bonus is small. Hitting a few enemies with the slash dash variant can bump you up to 2x damage fairly easily. And it's alot cheaper.

I dont really get it how u manage without stamina mods i even run out of it sometime with both equipped. il ltry to run some time without marathon just the quick rest.

The elemental mods where just kinda random atm  to show that i can have 1 type of dmg on weapon.

Uff its really hard for me to write in english, how to tell you, excal was my first frame and i ran similar build to yours - the parry mods. Its practical.

This jump and blind combo tho seems really cool :)

The thing is my build kinda works also you just hold both mouse buttons down  and kill stuff. all the speed gives me such great momentum i really dont get hit or staggered much i ran it first without fury but i just enjoy it more with both fury and zerker just for the added mobility.

What i was more curious about was the difference in getting up speed between handspring and constitution. constitution seems useful because i mostly only use radial blind if im rezzing someone so the 28% extra durat might come handy.i gues this question is just more out of curiosity but in solo handspring would be better then if its faster.

And also how much maxed steel fiber reduces damage on excal (%). is there a point having it at all. if it would be about 20% i think it would be worth it ,

just to stabilaze incomming dmg.if its just like 10% ill drop it for overextended and maybe then marathon for continuity.

idk so many choices need more slots. :D

heh i think they should boost the stamina stuff because idk 2 stam mods seems exessive right, but sometimes i still run out of it .

and yea its just for fun  and variety but its quite viable .

Edited by Mathemagics

I've heard it mentioned but I don't really know what the build is for it, care to enlighten?

It's Broken Bull combo from Cleaving Whirlwind stance. It has 3x dmg multiplier and each spin hits the enemy twice. You can get 500k+ crits from Scindo Prime and Galatine while using this. That's why many ppl still prefer Cleaving Whirlwind over Tempo Royale.

i only have tempo royale , only used jat kittag before from big weapons so i have all stances for it , got scindo just after the tempo royale event because it seemed comfortable stance to use, ill try to get cleaving whirlwind and try it out. is the spinning combo hard to pull off?

i only have tempo royale , only used jat kittag before from big weapons so i have all stances for it , got scindo just after the tempo royale event because it seemed comfortable stance to use, ill try to get cleaving whirlwind and try it out. is the spinning combo hard to pull off?

not hard, it's EE pause EEEEEE