Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swatting Culprit Has Been Arrested & More

TheErebus.

Apologies for not being around, Bloodborne is way too addicting.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/three-swatting-incidents-attributed-to-teenage-min/1100-6426236/

If you don't know what SWATTING is, it is essentially the act of someone else calling your local police department and using your address and private information to place in a false claim such as you're holding hostages or that you have bombs planted all over your home etc. Because these are very serious situations, the SWAT are called in. And these guys don't joke around, they carry in shotguns and are very ready to fire at anyone who seems threatening to them.

A 13 year old minecraft player has admitted to doing this on three occasions and will be most likely facing probation due to his age. However, a 19 year old who is accused of the same practice can face up to 5 years in jail.

In other news, don't test any new hardware or else Origin (if you even use it) will lock you out of the account.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/changing-pc-hardware-too-often-can-lock-you-out-of/1100-6426240/

Spot on EA. But luckily, you can contact their customer support and they'll fix it right up. 
However, lemme remind you of the things wrong with Origin:

It's made by EA, the support is lousy, there are bugs that will disable any updates and wont even let you play because of it, and if you move to any country with a foreign language, the system will change the language to the language of the country that you are in.

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Sorry, probation? He knew what he was doing, he should screw around with the popos, people can die from that shiz...

I'd have put his butt in jail at least until he is 18.

I think new punishments should be limitations to internet and technology

As for EA, how nice that I haven't logged into Origin since I've changed my GFX, good job EA XD

EA is the kind of company who is so unpredictable it is funny (sometimes, BF4 was not funny :( )

Sorry, probation? He knew what he was doing, he should screw around with the popos, people can die from that shiz...

I'd have put his butt in jail at least until he is 18.

I think new punishments should be limitations to internet and technology

As for EA, how nice that I haven't logged into Origin since I've changed my GFX, good job EA XD

EA is the kind of company who is so unpredictable it is funny (sometimes, BF4 was not funny :( )

There is only so much you can hold a child responsible for.

There is only so much you can hold a child responsible for.

Yes of course, but with the internet today it is not like the kid didn't know what would happen, they rather chose to ignore it because they knew exactly what would happen. Mommy and daddy come to the rescue whilst he/she plays little red riding hood all innocent.

My opinion though :/

Yes of course, but with the internet today it is not like the kid didn't know what would happen, they rather chose to ignore it because they knew exactly what would happen. Mommy and daddy come to the rescue whilst he/she plays little red riding hood all innocent.

My opinion though :/

How do you know the kid new what would happen? He almost certainly didn't know the full potential consequence of his actions.

Take into consideration how the media often portrays criminals. It's like they're celebrities. And kids are quite impressionable

The funny thing is many many psychology experts have said that the was the media portrays crime, especially the news, only makes the situations worse and in fact causes copycat crimes in response. 

How do you know the kid new what would happen? He almost certainly didn't know the full potential consequence of his actions.

Well it was likely he googled various things like "How to swatt" or "How to locate IPs", he knew what swatting was because he probably heard about it from someone else (it has been happening for quite a while now anyway). I don't particularly know but overall the kid could've just as easily found the consequences as he found the instructions for it, plus you need to make an example of someone when they do stupid stuff like that.

At 13, I never wanted to hurt someone in real life for a game, I'd simply ignore them and move on :S

Well it was likely he googled various things like "How to swatt" or "How to locate IPs", he knew what swatting was because he probably heard about it from someone else (it has been happening for quite a while now anyway). I don't particularly know but overall the kid could've just as easily found the consequences as he found the instructions for it, plus you need to make an example of someone when they do stupid stuff like that.

At 13, I never wanted to hurt someone in real life for a game, I'd simply ignore them and move on :S

Yes but he almost certainly has no idea about the emotional implications of his actions. In these kind of crimes the child is a victim as well. Why do you think his name is not released, the kid will probably go into therapy for many years because of this.

SWAT-ers need to get life in prison. Abusing 911 calls is not only a waste of taxpayer dollars, but it puts both the victim and police at risk. What if the victim is paranoid with guns of his own? If heavily armed police showed up where I lived, I'm pretty sure there would be a massacre.