Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Remake Suggestions

Atomic_Cybersystems

I seem to be the only person who finds spectral scream effective

I've been using chroma almost exclusively since he came out, but id have to say his first is rather lack luster, it looks cool but is rather poor overall, if they increased the range and status chance it could very well be amazing 

Did you know that if you have the fire element on chroma and you use his elemental ward and run past your allies it heals them? The amount of health that applies on them if the get in radius stays when you leave. I found this out running a t1 Defense lastnight

Did you know that if you have the fire element on chroma and you use his elemental ward and run past your allies it heals them? The amount of health that applies on them if the get in radius stays when you leave. I found this out running a t1 Defense lastnight

Yeah that's why some of us said he can be a mini healer :P

Thing is, i love Choma because of how versatile he can be. And even better, he's not bad at whatever you choose him to be.

And even more better, he isnt a press 4 to win frame

It makes me so happy to read stuff like this.

I've been playing Chroma since he dropped and I must say I am having a ton of fun.

Definitely one of my favorite frames by far. Perhaps my very favorite.

He is fully capable of being a true front line tank..heck he is rewarded for getting hit making it an ideal place for him, he is versatile enough to offer a variety of tactical support uses when coordinating element with the teams composition, he can select a damage type suitable for most enemy types he will encounter,  and due to the glorified turret he can drop he can help defend one area while advancing on another.

Seriously....It's my kind of frame! 

IMO Chroma needs a few tweaks, not a rework.

1: Like many 1 powers this one under performs in some regards. It's damage is low and despite offering good CC (depending on the element) and proc chance it usually won't be worth the movement penalties and lack of access to your in hand weapon (which may offer its own CC and procs anyway). Improving it's base damage a bit would be useful but still not likely to be worth the penalties it suffers.

Luckily, Chroma already has  wonderful mechanic to improve this. Let Spectral Scream gain the damage bonus that weapons gain from health damage when using Vex armor. At a high enough multiplier the AOE of Spectral Scream would make it quite the damager for large groups.

2: Mostly great. Just needs a slightly wider Area on the ally buffing effect. 10 meters is quite small. At least 15 is in order.

3: Great as is.

4: This power should emanate the aura's of whatever Elemental Ward is active. That way Allies can be either near Chroma or near Effigy to get the benefit.  

Not even. I see a lot of hate on Spectral Scream here, but...guys. It's immune to most CC.

MOA Shockwave stomp.

Infested Spaghetti Men turning you into a ping-pong paddle with their weird-&#! grappling hooks.

Grineer Heavy Gunners slamdunking the ground.

You put Scream on, and it doesn't even work on you!

Not even. I see a lot of hate on Spectral Scream here, but...guys. It's immune to most CC.

Sure Spectral Scream has that going for it but..

1:There are other ways to negate enemy CC that generally either do more damage, take less energy or take less time.

I generally either just block, jump slash or use the melee combo's stagger resistance.

2: At high levels when the only way to keep Chroma alive is buy keeping the lifesteal going...

Loosing access to that to scream is generally not worth it/

...so there is no excuse for Spectral Scream not to hit harder.

Anyway:

No. I've used Chroma for nearly every bit of content in high levels (Minus the Raid, i have no interest in it). Either you don't know how the heck to mod him, or you just don't know how to even use him.

Makes me laugh how he has "Nothing for Team Play" but he brings more to the table in terms of versatility than many other frames do. Seriously, learn to play the frame.

It's like when players called Limbo bad when they havent even learnt how to play him. Even i haven't tried to learn him but i know he's not bad at all. Chroma is a hell of a lot more high-level ready than Rhino ever will be, so you can't compare that here.

None of what you say makes any sense or is even something i can take seriously.

You act like every new frame has to work exactly like another frame does. Just because Chroma is unique and not press-4-to-win, he isnt viable or useful in any team. That's flawed logic if i've ever seen it.

I 100% agree with you. I can't say a thing about chroma since i still don't own him, but i can agree about what u said about Limbo. I was able to solo a T3E with him and weps around level 20 (none level 30 though) and only used one revive because of reasons (hehehe). 

So, before you say a frame/wep is bad, play it until 30, read the skills and builds (wiki anyone?), build it for different scenarios, and then, only then, complain about it on forums.

Edited by Treido

No. I've used Chroma for nearly every bit of content in high levels (Minus the Raid, i have no interest in it). Either you don't know how the heck to mod him, or you just don't know how to even use him.

Makes me laugh how he has "Nothing for Team Play" but he brings more to the table in terms of versatility than many other frames do. Seriously, learn to play the frame.

It's like when players called Limbo bad when they havent even learnt how to play him. Even i haven't tried to learn him but i know he's not bad at all. Chroma is a hell of a lot more high-level ready than Rhino ever will be, so you can't compare that here.

None of what you say makes any sense or is even something i can take seriously.

You act like every new frame has to work exactly like another frame does. Just because Chroma is unique and not press-4-to-win, he isnt viable or useful in any team. That's flawed logic if i've ever seen it.

Could not have said this any better.

Since we are talking about how great and poor he is, let us get how you should build him for tanking. I was thinking of the rage and quick thinking combo, but you also need vitality and steel fiber on. But redirection and power strength are needed to make him tank like faster. He also needs flow since his going to be spamming abilities a good deal. And then comes power duration to keep him at kier for longer. Obviously he can't have all of these things equipped at once. This is the most complicated build to any warframe I have seen yet. Vex armor is hard to make a build around. What does everyone else think the happy medium is?

Since we are talking about how great and poor he is, let us get how you should build him for tanking. I was thinking of the rage and quick thinking combo, but you also need vitality and steel fiber on. But redirection and power strength are needed to make him tank like faster. He also needs flow since his going to be spamming abilities a good deal. And then comes power duration to keep him at kier for longer. Obviously he can't have all of these things equipped at once. This is the most complicated build to any warframe I have seen yet. Vex armor is hard to make a build around. What does everyone else think the happy medium is?

I'll screenshot mine when I'm next on.

Im just gonna go ahead and ask:

What the heck is wrong with Chroma?!? Do people even play him before assuming he's bad, just because a bug with his effigy was fixed?

Of all the frames that need looking at, Chroma is easily one of the most fun, interesting, and balanced frames out there. Seriously, why do people assume he needs a rework or that he's utter s*%t? Bearing in mind people only feel this way after a non-intended feature of his Effigy was FIXED.

Because he can't press 4 to kill stuff. Duh.

I just wish his 1 had 100% status chance.

As some of you guys said - his build needs too many different mods, so there's only one way to build effective:

1. totally ignore range (bb to 1st ability and to damage from aura)

2. build up max strength mods for up to 900% armor bonus and get some duration mods. So his abilities cost pretty much and some mods like rage and steel fiber are must have.

According to this, he can not use ultimate nor 1st ability.

I didnt test syndicate mods for rhino, but seems that he can get much more armor from 1st ability with syndicate: just hit 10 mobs and get +500% armor buff. Hit another 10 mobs and get +1000% buff.

So, rhino seems to be more "tanky".

I am just dissapointed that chroma has low-utility ultimate and useless 1st ability (comparing to most other frames) with absolutely no cc.

I've tried to build arcane guardian to get even more armor, but it doesn't change his playstyle.

Yes, this frame is like rhino 2.0 without cc. He is a tanky one but i am trying to understand: what can he do for his team? And i cannot find the answer.

Edited by Atomic_Cybersystems

Chroma doesn't have to stack every duration and power strength mod to tank like some folks claim. He has plenty of room for good tank builds.

And

Ironclad charge is iffy. Hitting enough mobs to get a high armor bonus is situational...

It last a pretty short time...

And you can't stack it. Each time you charge it resets based on how many enemies you last connected with.

Edited by Ronyn

My Melee build - Centered around Vex Armour/Elemental Ward and Lifestrike for higher level content, with Effigy being used as a quick CC tool.

Elemental type: Electricity - Mainly for a few extra shields for Vex Armor (But a sentinel will also help), and CC/damage from the ward is amazing.

UL9l1ZO.jpg

Low Duration Heal/ Effigy defence build - Centered around using Fire elemental ward with Min duration for healing for yourself and team-mates. Higher rank Transient Fortitude would be more efficient for more heals, but i haven't ranked it further.

Elemental type: Fire - For heals.

xndvnhE.jpg

All-round build - Has around 25 seconds on Vex/Ward, and maxed efficiency for Effigy use, too. Useful if you want to use Effigy early on in a survival, but the Vex Armor build would be better due to the longer duration for high level missions.

Elemental Type - Once again, Electricity - Mainly for the CC once again. 

RKClYPx.jpg

My general build is the duration Vex Armor build, but the all-round one is useful for quickly running lower level missions where efficiency is gonna be more useful.

Elemental types for the All-round/Vex Armor builds are personal preference. I just like the CC/Damage and extra shields for Vex. Cold could work too though, up to you.

So much rage-answeres...

So i am starting to think that most of this community plays on mercury-earth-whatever.

No team will take chroma as support (trinity and oberon heals and buffs better).

No team will take croma as crowd-controller (vauban, nyx, loki and many more frames has true cc).

No team will take chroma as dps or dps-buffer (mirage, nova).

No team will take chroma as utility frame (frost, limbo, nekros, mag).

He doesn't fit to any good party (and rhino too, by the way): no place in raid for him, no place in long T4 defenses (40+waves) or survival (50+ minutes). He is just a pub-stomper for noob-runs, nothing more.

Chroma has nothing for teamplay comparing even to rhino, that is rarely or never picked up in hard missions.

his potential to dps thanks to vex armor > any other frame out there. Nearly tripple the damage on your weapons (you heard it, your weapons) ? And that is disregarding power from mods? Tell me how that does less damage than any frame ability, i would easily land 24k+ on EVERY SINGLE ARROW from a dread, not counting headshots or red crits just from taking some damage to my life and could EASILY recover that damage in 1 swoop of channeled life strike and then go back to pwnage.

He is probably one of the best dps frame right now exactly because of his 3rd skill and the one frame that will eat a hitkill from a bombard/nillifier and stand proud as if it was nothing because he reduces over 70% of the damage taken thanks to his insane amount of armor.

Any team not willing to take a chroma for the dps role just doesnt understand how powerfull he can get if properly modded.

So retreat to under the bridge troll.

Edited by bunitchu

Currently i consider Chroma a great Warframe, versatile, fun, useful.
Definitely one of my favorites. The people who criticize him probably have not yet figured out how to use it well. Give them time, they will get tired or learn.

However there are things that I would like to implement, and are as follows:

1) Spectral Scream: increase the range and status chance

2) Elemental Ward: increase the range

3) Vex Armor: make it recastable

4) Effigy: add an effect of rejuvenation (possibly equal to or slightly greater than the energy consumption) while the ability is active