Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unreal 4 Dark Sector Hd Remake

(PSN)MoRockaPDX

In an overly ambitious way, I wanted to know if there are enough people who would be interested in starting a project to develop Dark Sector in Unreal 4. Unreal 4 is free now, though there are terms, so I am open to alternatives. I have chosen Unreal 4 because it is an industry standard and popular engine, and free, that could help get attention. Especially DE's attention, I hope, and I hope in a positive way. 

Personally I have very rusty and limited skills in all categories of game design. But, that is why I want to do something like this. I like DE and Warframe enough, that making an HD remaster of Dark Sector in a modern engine sounds motivating enough for me to try. 

I admit it will be stupid hard to accomplish, and I barely know the first thing in how to start such an endeavor. That is why I am reaching out to the community for advice, support, and hopefully, partners.

I need help in writing a design draft to manage the various aspects that will be needed to do the project. What resources are needed aside from Unreal 4 development tools. I will admit right now, that I am not a fan of Adobe right now, but I will bow to the necessity if there is no other real option.

It would also be good to know if it is possible to use any of the original assets. Since this is a volunteer project, with no planned sale or money of any kind, and would likely be used in conjunction with existing copies of the game. Might that be enough to use original assets? Or is that a misunderstanding of how such a project would work? I could understand if all the textures and meshes would have to be done from scratch, either because of legal reasons or because they just can't be practically worked with, or would just be a liability. These are the kinds of things I need to learn. 

A project like this is probably of too large a scope for one person, so anyone, especially skilled people who want to help would be most welcome. I am even open to discussing the scope of the project. If a fan-made HD remaster of the full Dark Sector game is too much, then maybe a more minimal, sequel would be possible. If failing that, then maybe a CG video story featuring Hayden Tenno. Point is, I am open to possibilities as the point is to be motivated to learn the tools of the trade.

Anyways, I hope this peaks the communities interest.   

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

Hmm.

I also have practically no experience with game development, but I have recently been trying to learn various code languages.

I might be interested in helping, if we're allowed to do it.

Game design is something I've really wanted to get in to. Practice like this couldn't hurt.

An HD remaster? Last community-made game like that took 10 years to make, and it's still not fully complete (Black Mesa).

I'm not sure you're gonna get enough help with this from the forums...

You don't know that for sure.

It could happen.

Who knows? We could just remake one segment of the game or something as practice.

unreal 4 is free you say?what are the reqs?

8 gigs ram,1tb harddrive,3.6 ghz,amd radeon hd 6850

those good?ive never done coding before really,but i can learn quicker than most people,also i have schizoid personality disorder..which amongst other things,means having an imagination with the output of a thermonuclear device

It could happen.

Who knows? We could just remake one segment of the game or something as practice.

But wait a minute... are you talking about the released, or un-released Dark Sector? Because I think either way it won't really pay off too much.

Remaking the old Dark Sector will basically give you Warframe, and the released Dark Sector already looked pretty good.

An HD remaster? Last community-made game like that took 10 years to make, and it's still not fully complete (Black Mesa).

I'm not sure you're gonna get enough help with this from the forums...

It could happen.

It is really hard to say. The development tools these days are incredible! The kinds of games that even 1 person indies are coming out with are just mind boggling. And as Kaiczar mentions, maybe even a small section as a prototype demo is enough. The real point is to have something motivating to the learn the tools of the trade with. For me, that is a DS remake.

But wait a minute... are you talking about the released, or un-released Dark Sector? Because I think either way it won't really pay off too much.

Remaking the old Dark Sector will basically give you Warframe, and the released Dark Sector already looked pretty good.

I agree that the original Dark Sector looked amazing, and still holds up. And that doing the original concept would be redundant.

I however think that there are some, or many, things that The released DS could benefit from in a modern engine. Even just applying some of today's conventions to it, and applying some of the new technology could breath new life into a great game. In some ways it is becuase the game is so good in many ways that it is a good candidate.

unreal 4 is free you say?what are the reqs?

8 gigs ram,1tb harddrive,3.6 ghz,amd radeon hd 6850

those good?ive never done coding before really,but i can learn quicker than most people,also i have schizoid personality disorder..which amongst other things,means having an imagination with the output of a thermonuclear device

https://www.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine-4 Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

I've dabbled in a little bit o' game design. As a concept designer (Not concept artist, designer).

You know, enemies, abilities, different things featured in the game.

I was entertaining the idea of making small changes to the way Hayden Tenno behaved, and how enemies behaved. I couldn't help but notice how the game almost played like a souls game, but just wasn't quite there.

Its just a thought, I am sure just recreating it will be a massive order.

I was entertaining the idea of making small changes to the way Hayden Tenno behaved, and how enemies behaved. I couldn't help but notice how the game almost played like a souls game, but just wasn't quite there.

In my opinion, order of buissness #1 is to fix sprinting.

I don't like the wacky camera angle when you sprint in Dark Sector.

I'll have to play through the game to see how it's like, been ages since I played it.