The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Is It That We Don't Have A Spear Yet?

Valkyr-Umbra

I'll post a video, about a kind of character of a new chinese game that has martial arts as theme. Of course it's not technically correct (speaking of martial arts), but it gives an idea of how spear stances could work. 

There is a common wworry about how a thrust weapon could handle mobs of enemies. The answer is: giving it the possibility to have AoE as well. 

Now, imagine that developers could watch some videos about asian and european spears and polearms techniques and work on something like that. I think it could perfectly fit Warframe lore, right?

Only reason I can think of as to why no spear yet(and why so many slash melee weapons) despite slashing pole arms already included is animation flair. Slashing is so fluid because it's essentially omnidirectional but thrusting only really goes one way--forward. Notice how the main puncture weapons are daggers with stances that still swing like slashing blades.

As much as I love spears I must admit that a weapon that exclusively thrusts would handle pretty rigid and bland in wf. Just think of fencing with rapiers or jousting vs our current over-the-top stances.

it could easily be a thrown weapon with high innate punch through and a more arrow like trajectory

If we're going to get a Thrusting, Puncture damage based Spear can we also get a Rapier weapon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoc

After playing dark souls, this is the rapier-like weapon I would personally want. Like the rapier its used for thrusting, but it has a longer reach and is a bit sturdier.

Also, I hope you Tenno realize that if we were to get a thrusting, advancing sort of move set it'd be through a Stance that you could put on any of the correct type of weapon, right? Which seems like it'd be for the best because it widens options for how you could potentially build existing weapons too.

Gimme Puncture type Spear + Stance for aggressive, forward marching thrusts.

Gimme Puncture type Sword + Stance for rapid, multi-hit advancing combos.

I'm assuming that you mean that the stance would be applied to a new spear category of weapon (tonbo might work as a spear with the proper stance, but orthos prime wouldn't). Personally I think that most any stance applied to spears would have to focus on thrusting, at least somewhat (its a defining characteristic of spears).

Spear?
Sure.

War hammers?
Yes.

And spontoons, and fails, AND MESSER BLADES, AND BATTLE AXES, KUSARIGAMA, KANABŌ AND TONS MORE.

HURRY UP DE. PUT THESE IN.

Point I'm makin' here is that while I do want a spear, there are tons and I mean tons of other weapons that have never (or rarely ever) been seen in video gaming. 

The main problem I have with spear is simple, you throw spear you are out of weapon, what you will do when you get a mob coming at you, you can kill one what about the others, spear is worth at that moment nothing.

Easy:

Collapsable spears (Shortened when not equipped so multiple spears can be carried)

Energy spears (so they can be formed again)

Rope or chain spears (So they can come back to you)

Yes, please. A high picture spear would be great for late game Smileys. Seeing as raw damage for melee is completely ignored in late game for more proc abilities, it would be great if we could get the first double digit mastery weapon as a badass puncture spear.

The Grineer are clearly DE's favorite, at least for now, so it would be useful for a at least a few months.

On a similar topic.

From my memory, almost all puncture melee weapons are under the a dagger category, which from what I've seen is pretty much universally hated.

Some kind of morning star that combines Puncture and impact would be great if the mace became its own weapon type.

Some kind of war pick would be cool too if it could be used with the heavy sword stances or, again, got its own.

Idunno, just wanted to get my thoughts out.