Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reaching More Players: Ingame Polls

Genoscythe

no.

you can have as much options as you want to, but DE won't do that for several reasons. Because they can't put an option on the poll which will compromise their status as a developer.

And yes my comments have nothing to do with actual 'holding' polls. Your idea is good, but content of these polls is what matters.

Besides if they really wanted honest input from the player base, they would design their hot topics differently.

@ zoboso - answer to your question is simple. Current mechanics are flawed. Current customization mechanics do not offer freedom or choice. Problem is not with the slots, problem lies deeper. And Utility slots won't solve a thing.

while your comment on the polls are true, OP's post is not about that, its about including everyone who is playing with the polling opportunity. And the guy who cannot be bothered to get of his couch, is a member of our community and should be treated with respect according to his behavior as part of our community. Besides the only votes DE cares about are what allows them to continue making warframe.

I see you have tried to answer my Question. While I have come to the same conclusion, your induction is false. The current mod system provides the freedom of false choice, because some choices are objectively better than others. Like-wise with DE's polls they are set up so that they can glean the most useful information from what is known to be a responsive but not representative sample of the playerbase. Finally, saying the current game mechanics are flawed is useless, because those flaws are a byproduct of how things are made, and that those flaws cannot be removed without the ability to articulate what those flaws are.

For example: The mod system has two constraining factors: drain and slots. Due to the addition of catalysts/reactors and forma, there are clearly defined and known ways of counteracting drain. However as slots are fixed in number, players started optimizing for mod slots. Now that mods could be compared on a single axis, players discovered that some mods are consistently more effective than other mods. Those mods became known as the core mods. Eventually all slots are filled. This means several things: first, for a new mod to be used it must be more effective than an existing mod (And thank DE that they are not trying to get new mods into builds this way); second any new slots (whether those slots are gained by removing an old mod, or given for utility or augment purposes) will then be optimized for until the status quo is restored. the only ways to balance this system are to either allow drain to matter again or to balance mods on a per-slot basis.

Note: the state of the mod system is one of my pet peeves, and in an deliberate attempt to fight the existing meta I elect to not use the core mods whenever possible and instead try to play in the inner core of the solar system.

and i quote "must be more effective than an existing mods". case and point right there.

If you wanna play on a level where developer want you to play, you have all the freedom you want when you customize your frame or weapon. But if you want to go higher - you realize, that there is no freedom of choice at all. You are forced to use specific setup, because otherwise you will fail your team.

and no, there are more than two "only ways" to balance system. "only ways"... maximization much?

---

in short about "only ways" of yours.

you may not remember - but before forma, mods like serration, hornet strike, redirection, vitality - basically any rank 10 mods were really expensive indeed. 14 mod points for a mod, when you have only 60. and you have to use ap mods. elementals aaaaaaand multishot. but back then - these mods were hard to level, because of drop rates of fusion cores. so situation has been more or less balanced.

Today we have mods like HCal, BR, TF, NM. PFlow, PContinuity etc. so as you may understand - if you set a limit on mod points, you will deliver significant impact on current mods system across the board and to the game mechanics in general. With following fall of the market. Because these R10 mods - would lose all their value.

"balance on a per-slot" basis. this is even worse. just think about it for a second. take syndicates into consideration and think on this idea again. you will undestand how silly it is.

And don't you forget, grind is not the only thing this game has to offer, but also source of income for DE. I sell Primed mods for 1400-1600p now. And somebody is paying for all that plat. Not me, but somebody else.

and about OP. Original idea is nonsense, simple as that. What will determine is this player worthy of making a poll? Because he is a nice guy on a forum? Because he played some time in the Warframe?

You see, what topic starter fails to understand, that there is no measure by which you may judge a player. Like no measure at all. It's not a MR, it's not a mission time, it's not events stats. I have 3700 hours in this game across 5 accounts. Am i worthy of making a poll about things in this game? I would say no i am not. Because my opinion is biased by my bitter experience.

Is some white knight worthy of making a poll? I would say also no.

So i hijacked thread in some aspects to show, that DE will never ever would allow a player base to make something, that may have possible dire consequences. It doesn't make sense. And hot topics serves as a hint and example.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah

and about OP. Original idea is nonsense, simple as that. What will determine is this player worthy of making a poll? Because he is a nice guy on a forum? Because he played some time in the Warframe?

You see, what topic starter fails to understand, that there is no measure by which you may judge a player. Like no measure at all. It's not a MR, it's not a mission time, it's not events stats. I have 3700 hours in this game across 5 accounts. Am i worthy of making a poll about things in this game? I would say no i am not. Because my opinion is biased by my bitter experience.

Is some white knight worthy of making a poll? I would say also no.

So i hijacked thread in some aspects to show, that DE will never ever would allow a player base to make something, that may have possible dire consequences. It doesn't make sense. And hot topics serves as a hint and example.

In no moment I said anything about player-created polls.