The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Request: Metal Textures In Market

Shreiko

Can we get the option of purchasable metal textures as warframe skins in the market. When a texture is purchased we are able to apply it to any colour layer on our warframe in the appearance customisation screen. We can be given that much freedom with it or the devs can make unique specific skins for each frame utilising metal textures where the usual synthetic material is located.

I have wanted a metal color pack since they added the new reflective textures. I dont think it would be possible to make a color pack though, more like a skin. They would have to retexture the object and there are lots of them. Yes I know about the metal-colors on weapons and such. Those are just redone textures. If it is possible I would love to see it done.

That's not how the game works. The metallic shine comes from the material, not the color itself. If you wanted metallic shines they'd have to recode the entire whatever thing so that you can change the materials of whatever object you're coloring.

To add to this. Not only do you have to recode, but after each warframe gets their PBR treatment, only parts that are assigned metal shading (ie prime gold trim or Excalibur's back or some bits on Chroma) the colors will only look metal on the parts the artist made look metal. They would have to make completely separate texture maps and shader networks to support this. If they did do it on a per tint basis, i.e each tint node can be defalut or metal shaded, they would need at least 4 different shaders per frame to what they already have. That is 88 new shader networks just for the current frame roster, it's never going to happen.

To add to this. Not only do you have to recode, but after each warframe gets their PBR treatment, only parts that are assigned metal shading (ie prime gold trim or Excalibur's back or some bits on Chroma) the colors will only look metal on the parts the artist made look metal. They would have to make completely separate texture maps and shader networks to support this. If they did do it on a per tint basis, i.e each tint node can be defalut or metal shaded, they would need at least 4 different shaders per frame to what they already have. That is 88 new shader networks just for the current frame roster, it's never going to happen.

this guy knows what he's talking about

That's not how the game works. The metallic shine comes from the material, not the color itself. If you wanted metallic shines they'd have to recode the entire whatever thing so that you can change the materials of whatever object you're coloring.

Nope.

You are completely wrong about this. The material properties of PBR items are three channels of a single texture being run through one shader. One of these channels is already being modified by the color masks in order to make your frame be colored. All that metallic/matte palettes would need is the ability to apply colors to the other two channels as well.

Here is an example of how a PBR texture works, with the orange being metallic properties overlaid onto it:

6ed.gif

And the result:

6la.png

The beauty of PBR is that it is a single unified system. That is what makes it so attractive to developers. It is consistent and dynamic.

Edited by egregiousRac

Hmm nice posts from some people who seem to know their 3d modelling S#&$ in this thread. Thats nice, I was aware when I first posted the topic that enabling the metal texture on the different tintable sections of warframes would be a high-handed task. I assumed the skins would be released periodically in the same fashion as immortal skins.I am not asking that every frame be done at once and be released at the same time.

Hmm nice posts from some people who seem to know their 3d modelling S#&$ in this thread. Thats nice, I was aware when I first posted the topic that enabling the metal texture on the different tintable sections of warframes would be a high-handed task. I assumed the skins would be released periodically in the same fashion as immortal skins.I am not asking that every frame be done at once and be released at the same time.

The problem is that they do not know what they are talking about. It is incredibly simple to do what you are asking. Whether DE does or not is up to them, but DE's PBR implementation makes this easy.

As an added bonus, here is a matte Opticor:

6lc.png

Edited by egregiousRac

The problem is that they do not know what they are talking about. It is incredibly simple to do what you are asking. Whether DE does or not is up to them, but DE's PBR implementation makes this easy.

6lc.png

lel, you is the man. Also its not obvious from the ton my reply to them, but I was patronising.

lel, you is the man. Also its not obvious from the ton my reply to them, but I was patronising.

It did appear that way.

I just get really tired of the people that jump on topics about this spewing misinformation based on DE's pre-PBR comments. PBR is completely different from the old system, but people don't grasp how different it really is.

Psh, yeah, sure. You almost sound like you know what you're talking about.

You have to redesign the ENTIRE game engine from scratch. The entire lighting and particle physics. Hell, they might even need to CONTACT Nvidia and Intel (let alone hiring particle physicists from CERN as an advisory) to help them redesign the entire space-time emulation simulation engnie artificial intelligence from the ground up.

Though, after years of being a senior professional, I found it to be easier to reprogram the Linux kernel so it can evolve into a self-replicating 3D printing artificial intelligence simulator and have it do it for me. Though it takes years from learing at MIT; you have to master relative particle and theoretical calculus just so you are able to reprogram an assembly phyisics engine merely for photonic manipulation.

Edited by Frawg

Why would you do that?! What's wrong with "Shiny +9 Stealth Lazer of Doom"?

It was the perfect item to test a matte palette on. Now I have a 'Clay +9 Stealth Laser of Doom' instead.

-snip-

Hehe. Yeah... Gotta get them particle physics right.