Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bees

CityOfTrees

I actually did some beekeeping yesterday because gramps got a new hive, and let me tell you, it has been ages.

So yeah, this is the official bee thread now.

Bees.

They're nice.

To be specific, I was changing the food packs (sugar mix), and as usual I wasn't using a uniform. no stings :D

Edited by BeeOverlord

In the wild, honey bee hives are often located in the holes of trees and on rock crevices. The hive is made from wax from the special abdominal glands of worker honey bees. Workers sweep up a few flakes of wax from their abdomens and chew these flakes until the wax becomes soft. Workers then mold the wax and use it in making cells to form the hive. Unlike other bee species, honey bees do not hibernate during cold periods. Instead, they remain inside the nests huddled closely together, sharing body heat and feeding on stored food supplies.

Honey bees are social creatures and live in colonies. However, they do display some aggressive behavior within colonies: drones are ejected from their nests during cold weather, and a queen will sometimes sting other queens during mating fights for dominance. Although honey bees serve a significant role in pollination and ecology, measures should be taken to ensure that hives do not exist in close proximity to your home, due to the possibility of getting stung. Always contact a pest control professional before attempting to address an infestation.

There, is that what you wanted?

Some people don't know that.

Besides, it's not just getting stung by a bee that makes people nervous around them.

Indeed, and its a common fear when they hear a buzzing sound. for most people, regardless if its wasp, bumblebee or just a bee buzz, it sounds the same for them, so i cant blame them for it. A past experience with a wasp (consider how angry they are all the time) could trigger this fear for sure.

The only time I've ever seen people get stung was when they stepped on a bee. I can't really blame the bee at that point. My ex likes to go to the park and pet the bees that are on the clover.

Give her to me.

It's a guy?

I don't care, I'll do it for a bee-lover.

Edited by BeeOverlord

i'm afraid my interest in Honey Bees starts and ends at Honey. very useful food, much more concentrated than Crystalized Sugar. plus does not ever expire or change as long as it's kept in a low moisture and heat environment.

territorial Yellow Jackets though, like Wasps, and Hornets - had better not make a nest in my yard. i will exterminate the entire nest.

Bumble Bees are dorky and adorable, but still, go away.

just like Spiders, i appreciate their usefulness. but that doesn't mean i want them around me. i'll let Spiders live in the dark corners if they want. as long as they don't get in my way... eh, whatever.

but if it decides to start 'using' my furniture and such, i'm going to Kill it.

They're huge insects

mfw someone that lives in a First World Country talks about 'huge' Insects.

i laugh. have they never read a book, attended a school, Et Cetera?

"no, honey, that Mosquito isn't huge. it's normal sized. it's

I hate bees... I dislike wasps. But bumblebees are like the drunk bros of bees. They're cool, very uncoordinated though, fly into everything. I had one land in my ear while I was biking home, panicked like hell thinking I was gonna get stung. The bumbles just like "don't worry bro, I'm just catching a ride" and then flew off a couple of minutes later. Didn't get stung. Bees on the other hand "oh hey a people, better be a complete #$&(% and kill myself to sting you for no reason".