Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I Got Another Laptop Problem.

JaysInc

Hey guys, this is the same man who was wondering why his laptop was using so much CPU for no reason at all. Luckily I found a solution and my CPU is acting OK, until now, but this time it's my drivers.

So I got this notification that my AMD driver stopped responding and has fixed itself, I thought nothing of this until a few weeks later (which is now), my laptop will freeze for around 1 to 2 seconds with an audible buzz if there is sound being played.

So I was wondering if it has something to do with my drivers?

Hey, Jayslnc, are you using the most recent drivers on your AMD? I know that warframe has a lot of problems with AMD hardware, generally.

I've checked if they were updated and gave me a response saying they were, not really sure if they are since I don't know the latest updated software for it.

Also, my laptop is too weak to play Warframe.

When specifically does this happen? is it just an audio stutter, or does the game crash too?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/424479-crashes-on-amd-catalyst-1412-omega/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/433642-crashes-on-amd-catalyst-1412-omega-update/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/442307-crashes-on-amd-catalyst-1412-omega-workaround/

These three threads may contain some helpful information regarding your AMD drivers issue(s).

Best I can provide since I run an nVidia GPU.

How old is your laptop? In my experience laptops start going downhill after 3 years, things slowly wear out, and eventually they burn out. I've never heard of a laptop still fully functional (IE no performance loss or obvious signs of wear) after 6 years.

What model of laptop is it, and what specific parts?

A way you can improve general performance is by doing a clean install of windows and everything else, though that requires you have all your software still.

Apart from that, uninstall anything on there that should not be there, run a disc clean, and update all of your drivers and such.

AMD drivers have given me a lot of grief in the past.

First things first, are they the latest version?

Second things second, get Speccy or something and check the temps of your CPU and GPU. If you're having a problem like that, first thing you should check is temps. Even if you get rid of the dust, your thermal paste might be done, and your laptop might be struggling to move the heat around. 

Assuming your temps are all good you're gonna have to try drivers next.

Remove all your AMD drivers, google how to do it entirely. Then try a clean install. If that doesn't work, try a dirty install, again google. Try the same version you have, if that buggers it up still, try a older version.

If that still wont work, try what Sixty5 said. Clean out old programs, run a disk clean and make sure everything is up to date.

If that still doesn't work try do a total factory reset on the laptop. You'll lose everything on it, but that will tell you without a doubt if it's software or hardware. If you're still getting the problem then you might want to have it sent away to have the parts checked. It's possible your graphics card is burnt out.

Edited by DecapitatingJim