Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"fusion Moa Event" Vs "operation: False Profit"

Archistopheles

On May 3rd, 2013, a little more than one month after I had begun playing, DE updated Warframe to 7.10 and released an extermination event that the wiki now calls the "Fusion Moa Event" (I thought it was the Fusion Moa Invasion, but it has been two years). Just under 2 years later, DE releases a new event focused around another Corpus unit release. The purpose of this thread is to compare and contrast the two, and offer DE constructive feedback based on the community's reaction, as well as my personal opinions.

Fusion Moa Event

Player Requirements: Get the killing blow on at least 1 Fusion Moa. Moas spawned anywhere from 1 to 20+ per mission

Reward: 100,000 credits, and an unknown, later controversial blueprint now known as Frost Prime.

Time Allotted: 3 days (after extension)

Development time: 3 days (according to livestream #5)

There isn't much to be said about this event, which is why I bring it up first. The event had a solo and clan leaderboard which was, imo, the real prize. We were fighting for pride and clan, not grinding for some pie-in-the-sky weapon or set of mods, yet even back then, we managed to kill over 2.3 million of them. Rose tinted glasses engaged.

The event did *not* promote teamwork. It actually promoted solo play, as you had to be the one to kill the fusion moa in order to get credit, however, because we only needed 1 to get the goodies, players (most of them) just happily went about their normal play. It was still fun and exciting to see these new fusion moas. Rose Tint level 2.

The Moas were easy to kill, but could also kill us in as little as 1 second if we weren't paying attention. Their beam attack is a shadow of it's original self. [Rose Tint intensifies]

Also a fun fact: Kahruvel, the hero of the event, and all around good person, killed 2666 with a Braton during a forum debate that was claiming that the Gorgon and Hek were "over powered".

Let's take a look at where we are now:

Operation: False Profit

Player Requirements: 1500 "Points" based on the difficulty of the Moa. 1 Moa per mission.

Reward: Badge, Sigil, 4 mods, Unique weapon, and a varying number of credits based on performance.

Time Allotted: ~5 days

Development time: Unknown

*Note:* Bugs are bugs, there is no need to discuss them unless they are still around.

With that said, I think many players got a bad taste in their mouth when they jumped into the event and prematurely started throwing around their 100k big-boy cards. This is and has always been an issue with Warframe’s community at large. We do not go slow. We are laser focused, and do not like waiting.

The event is based around waiting, but I enjoy it because it breaks up the monotony. Why would we want an event with the exact same objective as our normal missions? “Kill the thing” is what we always do, events should be “Wait a moment, check this new thing out, then kill it.” I fully support DE’s decision to make us stand around for extended times and get our butts kicked by these level 80 Moas. It’s the players who, in turn, need to open their eyes, and learn about these Moas. Waiting =/= boring if you observe the behavior of these new units. In the end, events are about players mass-testing a thing, and DE rewarding us for doing so.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. In some ways it’s too sophisticated for this community, and in other ways it’s been artificially inflated to feel important, and to get enough stats for DE to look over. Again, let’s look back at the first event. What was our motivation? Pride. We could get away with it because we were smaller back then. Now? What is our motivation? Loot. We’re bitter that we have to do this mission more than once just to get the loot, but we’re bitter when an event is “over” after one run as well. What is DE supposed to do? Go back to the Fusion Moa event? No fluff, no voice-overs, no “mandatory” repetition, just a one and done for those who want loot?

I say no. I say that regardless of what the community complains about, I respect, request, and crave more challenges like this one (I say challenge, but really mean complexity). Keep the repetition at or under 5 missions per day, keep the difficulty at a high learning curve. I don’t want my hand held, and I like watching people run face first into a new event, failing miserably, and losing credits/resources. We zone out when we play the other game modes. We farm everything else. Events should force us to think outside the box.

I’m starting to ramble, so let’s wrap this up

TL;DR

The Good:

Voice acting is top-notch again

Forces players to learn about the new enemy.

Forces “teamwork”, but allows solo play

Freedom to Screw up was there. Thank you for not hand-holding us

Low grind (on a scale of 1 to Gradivus, it’s a 3)

Single Tiered (I don’t like going one place to get parts to make a key to access another place)

The rewards are great, unique, but not game-changing

Incentive to keep running it: Credits are used exactly like a carrot on a stick

The Bad:

The transaction wait time is a little long, but it wouldn’t be so bad if there was something to do. If it was a game of tag, for example, we could’ve have had players trying to tag the Moa’s control panel to stun it instead of taking a short nap (or dirt nap)

Giving it buffed CC resistance makes us feel weak instead of making the unit feel strong. This is part of the first complaint. A strong enemy should have an equally strong weakness, even if it’s extremely difficult to hit. (This is a minor complaint. The design of the unit fits the world it’s in, I’m just giving my personal preference. I'm a DnD player, I want a fair fight even if you DE/DM have the clear advantage. Magical auras that block everything are boring)

The Ugly:

Just bugs this time, maybe some player attitudes, too.

Edited by Archistopheles

not what I expected but am totally in agreement with. the fusion moa event was also my first event. it's really amazing to see how successful DE has become and how super sonic laser fast the community has become at things. a good team of raiders can do that raid in about the same speed as a normal mission.

definitely agree with each one of your bad points and your ugly points.  I was initially upset that some obviously  stunning abilities didn't actually "stunned" the enemy. ( freeze, bastille, ash teleport, ash smoke screen). the only one we go to work so far was shock.  even though the terminology was misleading and confusing I do enjoy the fact that there was a little bit of learning and research involved.