The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Packs

SgtCapricorn

I will never buy these, and can never recommend someone else buy them, until the Warframe abilities are removed from the pool.

It's a complete waste to pay 90 Platinum to get 2 Warframe abilities you probably have zero use for.

If you get a Warframe ability chances are:

A) You don't have that frame.

B) The ability is not worth leveling.

C) You already leveled it with Fusion Cores.

It's a huge waste of Platinum.

I don't feel there is any issue with getting Rare Warframe abilities as drops, since you're not nessescarily losing anything more (it could have been a bad common too, with mod packs it's always replacing another rare).

I'm not asking for more free stuff, I am suggesting this so that mod packs are worth buying and DE can make more money.

Totally agree. I bought a dragon mod pack a week ago and the only good mod I got was split chamber. Warframe ability mods should not count as 'rare'. They really aren't rare at all, they are more common than many 'common' mods are.

Ability mods are perfect for levelling up... You guessed it! Abilities!

If you wasted your fusion cores on abilities, that's your own fault.

What if I want to upgrade miasma? It'll take a frick tonne of fusion cores that I'd rather save for serration... or a couple of Miasma mods.

You think I shouldn't get those from mod packs just because you'd rather waste fusion cores?

No thanks, I say leave it as is, and let stupidity punish itself.

What if I want to upgrade miasma? It'll take a frick tonne of fusion cores that I'd rather save for serration... or a couple of Miasma mods.

You think I shouldn't get those from mod packs just because you'd rather waste fusion cores?

Really? Because it takes 8 or so miasma mods to cap it. Have fun finding all those.

90 platinum for levelling up abilities ! Sounds fun !!

Levelling up abilities doesnt mean ****. My abilities were max level even before I realized it, you make it sound like its pretty hard to level up those.

90 platinum for levelling up abilities ! Sounds fun !!

Levelling up abilities doesnt mean ****. My abilities were max level even before I realized it, you make it sound like its pretty hard to level up those.

What'd you use to level them?

level 5 fusion cores?

Yeah... that's why you're angry, because you wasted level 5 fusion cores.

I say, leave it as is, and let stupidity punish itself.

What'd you use to level them?

level 5 fusion cores?

Yeah... that's why you're angry, because you wasted level 5 fusion cores.

Nope, I didnt used even 1 fusion core to level them. Instead I used sentinel's crowd dispersion, warrior, ghost, etc mods to level them, which unfortunately I get hundreds if not thousand...

So there should be traps for beginners in a cash shop?

Mod Packs are hell of a trap if you look it that way !! Combine it with frustation of getting those stupid heat mods over and over again in defense missions, this strat of 90 plat mod pack, I am afraid, might be working !!!

1. Frustate the player with hellfire mods

2. Mind**** them by showing a mod pack with 2 random.. *GASP*.. RARE MODS !!! (Keyword: random)

3. ???

4. Profit

So there should be traps for beginners in a cash shop?

I highly doubt new players are going to spend money buying mod packs over any of the other far more attractive options in the cash shop.

Mod packs give exactly what they promise. If you don't like that promise, don't buy them.

Nope, there are still defense missions to do, past wave X (where X is the last highest wave completed by the player).

You want people to pay Some fairly large sum of money to do nothing but play defence missions on a beta game?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, at this stage.

If you are;

http://dagobah.net/flash/successful_troll_2.swf

if not;

It's not reasonable to give everyone everything in the game the moment they hand in some money.

Progression, development, crafting.

These ARE the game.

These are what people do.

Take them away, and you have fairly standard, very repeditive missions with no real goal.

Edited by NotaCobra

i can't look at this comment seriously, i have to laugh at how stupid it is.

someone brings up a legitimate concern, and your reply is "it's for the stupid people".

Edited by KhanCipher

i can't look at this comment seriously, i have to laugh at how stupid it is.

someone brings up a legitimate concern, and your reply is "it's for the stupid people".

You know what;

The mod packs give you exactly what they say they do.

If people want to spend their money on them, let them.

If they're happy with that, more power to them.

If they're disapointed, if they're upset

That's their own punishment for their own mistake.

This isn't because the mod packs are somehow wrong, or poorly designed, it's because people don't understand what they're buying, and that's their own fault, not DE's.

NotACobra: Cool beans. You still misunderstand this forum, then. It is a feedback forum, and DE is receiving feedback on the mod packs being uninteresting/unrewarding to purchase. Your opinion that "they are fine" is valid in itself, but does not change the opinion of others which prompted this feedback.

No one needs to convince you, you don't need to convince the other party that their perception is wrong. That is not part of the feedback. The feedback, you even agree with - mod packs are random, unreliable and a poor purchase decision. Leaving them in has no positive outcome for anyone involved. DE doesn't sell many, and people have no interest in buying them. Dead items are bad items.

There's feedback. Now people are brainstorming how to improve them.

You said your piece, you can walk on. Repeating "well, those people are stupid." is no longer part of the feedback process.

Make weapon mod packs 3 kind primary, secondary and melee.

warframe mod packs should be only 6 -6 frames / pack or 3-3-3-3 

sentinel mod packs (if there will be any rare mods for them)

and fusion core packs where u get guaranteed 2 rare 4 uncommon and 8 common

Make weapon mod packs 3 kind primary, secondary and melee.

warframe mod packs should be only 6 -6 frames / pack or 3-3-3-3 

sentinel mod packs (if there will be any rare mods for them)

and fusion core packs where u get guaranteed 2 rare 4 uncommon and 8 common

You know, that could actually work. Then you wouldn't get people complaining about getting tons of ability mods instead of that super rare weapon mod they have tried 5 times for. At this point the 'rare' ranking of mods just has too many mods in the list and it makes it hard to get what you really want. Category mod packs would make it easier to get what you want.

Eh, I'll admit I was a little overly curt, even obtuse.

So sorry about that. I'm just sick of seeing this thread pop up with an air of "Woe is me I didn't get the best mod straight away"

It was a knee jerk reaction, and I wouldn't have it tarnish my reputation if I can avoid it

So;

I'll go into a little more detail and truly say "My piece" so as to give this thread and the opinions presented proper respect and validation.

There are 3 main crowds of people who play games these days;

Those who have a lot of time to play, but not much money (students, the unemployed and people on holidays)

Those who have a lot of money, but not much time (People with full time jobs, students with part time jobs)

And people who have a little of both (People with part time jobs, students living at home, etc)

Those who have time can farm mods whenever they like, they can play defence missions, they can farm mats and collect all blueprints for all weapons.

Heck, mod generation is a biproduct of enjoying the game.

They can afford to play for hundreds of hours and will, with time, collect all the mods they need.

And for them, that's part of the fun, getting 100% on their own power, without needing to pay any money.

But for those without the time, collecting mods is difficult.

Especially in the volumes required to, Say, Level up serration.

Mod packs, regardless of their contents, provide these players with fodder, at the very least.

They're not terribly expensive, for their contents, and with a few dollars they are definiately the most efficient way of obtaining rare mods like split barrel.

In fact, I would wager if you were to assume the time you were playing warframe was worth minimum wage, you'd actually be making the more cost efficient solution in buying mod packs. I may be wrong here, but given the stories of players spending >150 hours farming, I'd say it's quite probable.

Adjusting them slightly may be a viable choice;

For example, a "Mod booster pack" purchasable with either credits or platinum that awards dozens and dozens of common mods (Of no real use to most players) to be used purely as fodder would be kind of nice.

It would also give new players a way of optaining a bunch of the more common mods to set up their weapons for the first time quite early in the game.

But we can definately say that mod packs have their place and are definately worth leaving in the store for the players who would actually buy them.

Though, that wasn't quite what the OP was arguing, the OP didn't want them removed (neccessarily), just changed, so we'll go into point two:

To directly approach the original post;

The argument states that ability mods should be withdrawn from the pool with the reason given that "(ability mods) are a huge waste of platinum".

But I really beg to differ.

Going back to my earlier analysis of the variants of players, those without much time probably HAVEN'T yet levelled up all ability mods, especially for warframes they don't have yet.

Everyone knows that the most efficient method of levelling up a mod is to use duplicate mods.

Thus, logically, the same is true for abilities.

Consequently, to level up something like saryn's ult which actually takes a fair few mods to complete would be far better served with a few "Miasma" duplicates.

These players who are purchasing mod packs for the reasons given earlier probably would like to use these mods as efficiently as they can (They paid good money for them). Given that assumption, it stands to reason therefore that if they want to level up warframe abilities, they'd rather do so with duplicate mods where possible.

Leaving ability mods in these packs ensure that players buying them for their intended purpose, (That is, a random assortment of mods including a set number of rares) benefit from all the mods in them, in one form or another.

Players who have levelled up their ability mods by other methods still have the option to buy them, whether for fodder or for the chance at the rare mod they seek, but I believe that this group isn't their target market.

People who pay platinum want to make the most of it, and it seems arbitrary and unfair to move one selected mod genre because a lot of players don't need it.

Since mod packs have their place, and ability mods have their place within these mod packs, I must respectfully, but assertively, say that I disagree with the original post, and that I quite like the way the mod packs function at present.

I will not be so arrogant as to say nothing can be added side by side them, or even that some changes cannot be made, but I do not believe they need to be changed.

I agree with OP. They are very unattractive purchases atm. Warframe abilities are easy to level up, so getting them would be an annoyance. I really like the idea of having different sets of packs, i.e. primary, secondary, melee and reactor packs.

People with lots of time on their hands don't really need them.

People with little time and no money...well thats tough for them

People with little time and money (the people that fund this game) suffer. These are the main people that would potentially invest in such items. Some mods are very difficult to obtain or you need a silly amount to level them. These people can probably only dedicate a few hours a week to the game, so getting mods and such is a very long process for them. I really don't see the problem with them being able to pay for a mod pack catering for primary weapons for example. It still will be a random selection but at least it won't be a total waste of plat.

This is not pay x amount of cash and have everything. Even if it was, so what? It's PVE. If they choose to unlock everything and be left with nothing really left to do, so be it. At least DE got a nice bump to their funds, and that player got what they wanted. It's certainly not pay 2 win, but very much pay 4 convenience.

Edited by Shifty_Shuffler

You want people to pay Some fairly large sum of money to do nothing but play defence missions on a beta game?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, at this stage.

If you are;

http://dagobah.net/flash/successful_troll_2.swf

if not;

It's not reasonable to give everyone everything in the game the moment they hand in some money.

Progression, development, crafting.

These ARE the game.

These are what people do.

Take them away, and you have fairly standard, very repeditive missions with no real goal.

Eh, I'll admit I was a little overly curt, even obtuse.

So sorry about that. I'm just sick of seeing this thread pop up with an air of "Woe is me I didn't get the best mod straight away"

It was a knee jerk reaction, and I wouldn't have it tarnish my reputation if I can avoid it

So;

I'll go into a little more detail and truly say "My piece" so as to give this thread and the opinions presented proper respect and validation.

There are 3 main crowds of people who play games these days;

Those who have a lot of time to play, but not much money (students, the unemployed and people on holidays)

Those who have a lot of money, but not much time (People with full time jobs, students with part time jobs)

And people who have a little of both (People with part time jobs, students living at home, etc)

I am not trolling at all, and I am glad you decided to discuss rather than repeating same sentence over and over again.

You classifed players based on availability of time and money, but classification can be done in many ways, and certainly one of the way is what the player is looking for in a game.

The games I play, usually involve PvP, currently Smite (a Moba) occupies the largest share in my gaming time, warframe is next. In a moba, atleast in Smite, there is no goal. You play there for a challenge, a fair challenge. Winning gives you nothing, losing also means nothing except providing an oppurtunity to learn from your mistakes.

But I cant pvp all day, sometimes I need a break, I need computer controlled stupid opponents, or sometimes I dont have enough time to play through a typical 3 lane 1 hour long moba match. So I play Warframe.

But my requirements from a game doesnt change, I dont want any goal. Existence of a goal will make it a chore for me. Defense missions are EXACTLY what i want to play in warframe, they are challenging past first few waves, have no clear goal, and can be started again without any consequence. I know Warframe is built around the concept of grinding and enjoying the rewards from it, but I see no reason not to allow players however they want to play the game.

I have only played with randoms in defense missions yet, and highest I made it to was, I think wave 18. If I do complete wave 20 in a group with randoms, that will satisfy me ten times more than getting a rare mod which I was looking for ages, which for me will be a minor good thing and probably will shrug it off.

Some may find it hard to grasp what I wrote above, but trust me, the skinner box model, however effective, doesnt work on everyone, and certainly not on me. If a game force me to grind for too long I will stop playing it eventually, most likely cuz I will find some game which offers everything the last game provided without grind.

Edited by rksk16it

I would suggest DE add in some new Mod packs that explicitly state that 1,2, or 3 non Warframe abilities will be generated. The old packs would still be there (and probably cheaper than these new ones). I never bought one of the packs and it didn't occur to me that it would give you Warframe abilities (it seemed silly that they would) until my friend bought 1 or 2 and got almost all Warframe abilities (I believe 4 out 5). 

I understand the paying plat and rolling the dice for mods, and paying more plat to get uncommon or rare mods. But my guess is that every mod (for its rarity and above) has a roughly equal chance of being chosen and the end result is that you get mostly ability mods since there are many more of them than rifle/shotgun/pistol/melee/general warframe mods. This will get worse as each new Warframe added puts 4 more of these abilities in the pool.

Another semi-solution would be to weigh the ability mods down so the more 'useful' ones like weapon mods have a higher chance..

Edit:

Little math using http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mods:

48 warframe ability mods - 12 fames x 4 abilities each = 48 (new Vauban frame will increase to 52)

16 general warframe mods

15 rifle mods (including thunderbolt)

14 shotgun mods

14 pistol mods

11 melee mods

10 sentinel mods

Non warframe abiltity mods = 80 without taking rarity into account (ie a rough number) thats a 48/128 = 37.5% chance to get an ability mod, if my assumption of all mods have a roughly equal chance in the mod packs.

Edited by Pi_Masta