Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Makes Some Aura Mods Cap At 9, 7 Or 5?

matrixEXO

Just wondering what's the general opinion on this since I clearly have always pondered on why most are 7 while others are 5 and one is at 9.

-------------------------

For me, I personally think it comes down to functionality, though it being superbly wrong. 7 point mods are generally the more used mods; mods that grant flat bonus damage that boosts all or selected classes of weapons, effects that can save up a mod slot which can be used to do other things with or are generally a good option all-round. 5 point mods are generally mods that are too niche, subjectively good and doesn't deject from any similar mods. Steel Charge (the only 9 point mod) is only as good as to get that extra mod point to go even closer and to start obliterating opponents (extra points to rush in and kill as fast as possible).

And now, when you think about it, it makes no sense why 5 point mods are staying at 5 points. Being too niche and not beneficial in combat unless you have that one specific mod that boosts that one specific weapon type (and the other equivalent damage boost mod affects more weapons at the cost of slightly less damage), they feel like they were meant to actually be more useful as a mod point giver than a leg cutter when compared to the other 7 point mods. Good aura mods all round should always be good without needing such a boost in mod points compared to the more niche and unique aura mods.

-------------------------

This is just my take on it. What do you guys think or understand from the differentiation of the points given to the aura mods?

steel charge is the only one with 9 (it was actually higher for a while), and it was done so with the release of melee 2.0, to not only buff melee but to give further incentive to use melee and or melee builds.

the only three that have only 5 are rank 3 auras only, and were released much later than the first group of auras (u12 vs u9), and was mostly just a failure on DE's part to balance them properly.

Edited by HillsAndTheSea

There's really no reason.

Steel Charge does give more points, and so is my to go aura at lower levels of a warfarme with a madurai aura polarity, but really the benefit of Rifle Amp is better (IMO) because it being a boost to ranged damage.

There's only three 5 points auras and none of them are very good, at least I wouldn't choose them, not just because of the lesser points grnted but because the benefit isn't great.

Personally I think it should be the other way around.

Give Steel Charge a 5 and Sprint Boost a 9

So you at least have to think about it first.  Do you want a strong aura effect or more mod points.

As it stands, there's just three or four Auras that are outright "The best"

Corrosive, Steel Charge, Rifle Amp, and Energy Siphon

As it stands, there's just three or four Auras that are outright "The best"

Kind of disagree on that a bit. As a non-forma player (only used forma for crafting), I can see things like Rejuvenation working as well while having Physique as another option.

Edited by matrixEXO

rejuvenation should be added here.

it should also be noted, that unless you are doing insanely high endless void/grineer, then corrosive projection is largely useless, whereas rejuventation functions great in most of the game.

i do however agree with you, and energy siphon is largely the best aura for any caster frame