Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Founders Not So "founders" Anymore.

Dagnome

I see a lot of people bringing up the topic of CBT founders and OBT founders and the differences therein. Yes, the CBT founders will have exclusive items (Just as CBT without founders packs) have over anyone who joined the game after Closed beta. This was our reward for being a Closed Beta Tester. I am sure DE will come out with exclusive items again, be it color packs or weapons that all users can obtain by meeting certain conditions. It would put a lot of the Closed Beta people off their game if the re-released the Braton Vandal and the Lato Vandal back into the game (Even on the market place) as it was a exclusive "Thank you" reward. 

I am totally for the people who may have had to wait until Open Beta (AKA Warframe being released on steam) to join, try out, and help fund the game. I viewed the release on Steam as a huge numbers boost for the game and the development revenue. I was not against Founders packs being available to these individuals.

I also think that most people are not reading or getting the main talking points of this thread so let me recap for those who may not be clicking the "Page 1" button. 

-Some users think the founders tag is loosing its "Face value" because the program has been open too long and some members of the community have supported the game during closed beta and the earlier parts of open beta. 

- Would you support a "Supporters program" instead of continuing with the "Founders program" due to the games current lifespan? Are we past the 'Founding" stage and more into the "Supporting" stage as far as money support from the community?

- Would you support a "Premium time" type of transaction where players could still support DE with money and gain benefits such as (AP boost/Credit boost, higher % for rare drops, etc)

Edited by Dagnome

I pitch to you a bag of seeds, to help grow your garden. I tell you these seeds will become a rare plant that is endangered. You buy it, then find out that it is not actually rare or endangered, and you actually now have the same trees everyone else does.

There really is no point in arguing about this, as it wont change, it is just disappointing, and frustrating. 

Your analogy lacks time.

Actually, I'm slightly in favor of a "mudding" of the Founders pool.

The most vocal Founder voices in the community so far have been (amongst others) IMO rather despicable Individuals (furries, turbonerds, 3edgy5u etc.)

I personally only became a founder to get the Excalibur Prime Set and discounted Platinum to last me for some time.

I personally don't cherish the Founders, and I'd rather unequip this badge because it rather discredits my opinion.

Though closing down the Founders program might also help in this matter, I'd still vote to keep it open so people can %!& DE for discounted platinum.

Edited by NetDefault

considering that the game is still in "beta", the term "founder' is still very applicable here

I think the question and debate with this is that most games I play close their "Founders" programs once they go to Open beta, but now that we are a couple months into open beta and the founders program is still open to the general public, it is making the "Founder" title seem more like a general "This person gave us money at any point during the game" title instead of helping fund the game during the early stages of development. 

Actually, I'm slightly in favor of a "mudding" of the Founders pool.

The most vocal Founder voices in the community so far have been (amongst others) IMO rather despicable Individuals.

I personally only became a founder to get the Excalibur Prime Set and discounted Platinum to last me for some time.

I personally don't cherish the Founders, and I'd rather unequip this badge because it rather discredits my opinion.

Please edit your post as not to name and shame. 

I think the question and debate with this is that most games I play close their "Founders" programs once they go to Open beta, but now that we are a couple months into open beta and the founders program is still open to the general public, it is making the "Founder" title seem more like a general "This person gave us money at any point during the game" title instead of helping fund the game during the early stages of development. 

This is exactly the problem. So at what point does it end? When the game goes "official" in a year?

I have never heard of a game keeping "Founders" packages into Open Beta either.. Doesnt make much sense to be honest.

Whether it is true or not, it is not a worthwhile basis for a debate since you are assuming that one's opinion is completely dependant on their own interest without thought to objectivity. In that case, there would be no need to debate, the most popular result would follow directly from the numbers of persons in each category...

I was basing that off of perspective, and experience only, was not trying to be offensive. The people who came in during Open Beta, do not have the same perspective and never will. Those who were in Closed Beta, can understand both perspectives because we have been around for both. 

But But....  You have the founder bling and the vandal bling....  =/

I know... I know, but I am a juice bag.... Or so I am made out to be, because I dont like being flip flopped on. Not that I dont want people to be able to support the game with "Support Packages."

Edited by Zackai

At the conclusion of the Fusion Moa weekend, I found that I enjoyed the game during that weekend, so much so that I put $40.00 towards plat. I would probably put another $20-40 USD towards plat, only if U8 turns out well. If DE simply continues to break the confines and precepts of Free to Play gaming I will continue to support them.

However I do find it slightly insulting that they need to dangle shiny toys in front of us in an attempt to get us to support them.

I don't understand the whole "Exclusivity" of the founders pack, or the need to be a part of the kool kids klub. Then again who am I to judge people for what they spend their money on. I just so happen to spend my money on useless digital points in a poor attempt to support developers I believe in.

Sadly I don't have an image macro that doesn't express or accent this post properly.

At the conclusion of the Fusion Moa weekend, I found that I enjoyed the game during that weekend, so much so that I put $40.00 towards plat. I would probably put another $20-40 USD towards plat, only if U8 turns out well. If DE simply continues to break the confines and precepts of Free to Play gaming I will continue to support them.

However I do find it slightly insulting that they need to dangle shiny toys in front of us in an attempt to get us to support them.

I don't understand the whole "Exclusivity" of the founders pack, or the need to be a part of the kool kids klub. Then again who am I to judge people for what they spend their money on. I just so happen to spend my money on useless digital points in a poor attempt to support developers I believe in.

Sadly I don't have an image macro that doesn't express or accent this post properly.

40$? 10$ more and you could have bought founders pack, which is not only the "cool kids club" enblem, but a more reasonable price for that amount of plat too. plus otherwise unobtainable frame.

40$? 10$ more and you could have bought founders pack, which is not only the "cool kids club" enblem, but a more reasonable price for that amount of plat too. plus otherwise unobtainable frame.

For 20$ less he couldn't been a basic founder.

I was thinking the same thing... Lol

I don't mind the current founder's packages being morphed into another set of perks just as appealing, and this is from one who just started playing when the game was introduced on Steam.  Unfortunately, I can't purchase the package I want because I need payment options outside of the Steam wallet (a friend spotted me for this basic founder's setup).  If the bundles are gone before I can support as I wished, I will be a little sore ...

I've been waiting a few weeks but I have faith it will eventually resolve.  Those with my problem may be in the minority, but it's a crippling issue that proves that this game is still in beta.  If I had known where I signed up from would restrict my purchasing options, I wouldn't be in this situation.  I am optimistic, however, and when DE clears this up I'll be happy that my faith was well rewarded.

I don't mind the current founder's packages being morphed into another set of perks just as appealing, and this is from one who just started playing when the game was introduced on Steam.  Unfortunately, I can't purchase the package I want because I need payment options outside of the Steam wallet (a friend spotted me for this basic founder's setup).  If the bundles are gone before I can support as I wished, I will be a little sore ...

I've been waiting a few weeks but I have faith it will eventually resolve.  Those with my problem may be in the minority, but it's a crippling issue that proves that this game is still in beta.  If I had known where I signed up from would restrict my purchasing options, I wouldn't be in this situation.  I am optimistic, however, and when DE clears this up I'll be happy that my faith was well rewarded.

Do you know about Ultimate Game Cards?

You can get them and redeem the codes here on the site.

Dagnome is actually giving away $240 worth of Ultimate Game cards...

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41568-founders-packs-giveaway-presented-by-dagnome/

Personally I like the idea of them moving on to a 'supporters package'. While I was not in closed beta and I do appreciate the ability to get the founders package, I do thing when it went open beta they should of closed the founders package and brought in something else.

I bought a founders pack because it was a good deal. Did anyone really spend that money so they could have a picture under their name on a forum?

What a weird thread.

I do not think anyone here said that actually. =)

Most people bought it either to help the devs during closed beta when the publicity was nill, and it was basically their only source of income, or to get the discounted plat. 

While I generally agree with the premise, the whole things just smacks of hipster elitism.

"I liked Warframe BEFORE it was cool."

That's the kind of attitude we need to avoid. By all means, get rid of the Founder's program and replace it with something else. Heck, you can exclude Founders from getting the "post-founder forum badge" goodies. Whatever. I didn't donate for a freaking badge and a gold-plated space ninja (whom I love dearly). I donated so that DE would have a little bit more capital to play with, and thus make the game better.

I'm starting to think that Founders really are this entitled.

"Everyone who participated in the Moa Extermination event gets a Frost Prime!"

"WAAAAAAAAAH! I PAID MONEY FOR MY EXCAL PRIME! NOBODY ELSE SHOULD GET COOL STUFF BUT ME!"

"We're keeping the Founder's program open so more people can get the painstakingly designed frame/weapon set we made and support the game."

"BAAAAAAAWWWWWWW B-BUT I WAS HERE FIRST, I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO BE CALLED A FOUNDER BUT ME!"

Pfft.

I pitch to you a bag of seeds, to help grow your garden. I tell you these seeds will become a rare plant that is endangered. You buy it, then find out that it is not actually rare or endangered, and you actually now have the same trees everyone else does.

There really is no point in arguing about this, as it wont change, it is just disappointing, and frustrating. 

Your analogy is inherently flawed. Allow me to improve on it:

A man is selling flower seeds out of the back of his truck. He tells you that they're in limited supply and they're exotic, beautiful plants from South America. You buy the seeds, plant the flowers, and are very satisfied. However, suddenly you see your neighbors with the exact same flowers. You then go back to the man and DEMAND he stop selling the rest of the seeds he has, because you can't stand seeing other people with the flowers and you feel it makes your flowers "less special"

At this point I feel like the Founder's Packages aren't attainable for me because of how much they expect in a single sitting, and since it seems obvious they won't change how Founder's can be gained, and especially if they remove the function to upgrade later on, I say just remove it and be done with it.

And there was me thinking the founder package was about supporting DE in the development of a game you might actually think is great and has awesome potential.

But let's talk about the founders package and call it what it really is (and what I personally support and can appreciate): crowd funding.

Due to the success of the open and closed beta DE increased manpower on the project and due to the funding through the founders project was actually able to do so.

Asking to close their, current, prime income, Ignoring the fact that DE is an established company with a lot of people on their payroll and that people tend to like to receive paychecks for the work they do....

It's literally your boss saying to you "Sorry, we can't pay your wage this month because our clients stopped feeling special... but you know, they are special now, rejoice!". Try to pay your mortgage with that.

This is not a constructive discussion, this is just people not caring about others at all because they want to be that special snowflake....

edit: typo

Edited by sGs.salp

You are joking right? It's Pay-to-Play because you can optionally Pay-to-Save-About-An-Hour-Of-Farming-And-4-Days-Of-Building?

No, I am not joking. You don't understand the fundamental difference between Free-to-play and Pay-to-play if you're saying such statements. I'll give you a very precise definition to help clear things up.

Free-to-play: The game itself is free to play without being forced to pay a single cent.

Pay-to-play: You have to pay a recurring fee every month to continue playing this game. Unless there is some super special premium program that I do not know of, my case rests.

The category you are talking about specifically is freemium*. You can "optionally" pay-to-save-about-an-hour-of-farming-and-4-days-of-building. In this case, it is subjective. "Speeding up" an items crafting time is a mechanic used to satisfy the impatient. I had the patience to grind the blueprints and mats for every frame I have except Ember, Ash, Trinity(by accident), and Banshee. I do not feel the need to rush because I'm in no hurry to level up every single frame.

Now I ask this in the most respectful way possible. Do you understand the difference between free-to-play and pay-to-play now?

Edited by Ruzu

See this is what I find funny. The people that donated during closed beta, donated to support DE knowing the game could flop, as there was barely any content at that time. 

The people donating now do not have to worry about it flopping.

Also, if we are going to call each other entitled, then by all means, if you came in with the rest of the general public during the Open Beta, and expect to be called a founder, you are Entitled.

Why not supporter? It is much more appropriate. 

If developers actually spent time on this instead of the game, I think there would be plenty of people that would hound the OP until he committed seppuku with a frisbee.

(and yes I understand that this would take time away from the "forum-team" and not the "game-content-team" but still there are plenty of forum features I'd love to see implemented that doing this would take away time from)