The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe - Fps Issues With The Asus Gtx 970 Strix

Dazzaka

Currently I'm running windows 7 x64, for some reason the updates fail everytime and I couldn't get them to work. Using an old cd and I don't have a key for it so I can't update now. Should be getting windows 8.1 copy soon though. Maybe that's the problem.

it's possible, Windows is... i'd be lying if i said it wasn't a mess.

w8 is a much lighter Operating System, so it's possible that will make a noticeable difference.

ofcourse, when moving to w8, like any version of Windows nowadays, there's a lot of tweaks, adjustments, and hacks that most users will want to do to Windows to make it more usable and less stupid.

and ofcourse, fresh installs of Windows run way better than ones you've had around for a long time.

i'm not suggesting this is 'the thing to blame', but it can't hurt.

Been a bit busy with school and haven't been able to play much, but when I have I noticed the first game I play is usually fine and then after that it goes downhill. I played a t1d today and all was good, then I did a t4d and it started dropping frames like mad.

I did a fraps benchmark for about 5 waves and this was the result

http://tny.cz/a9f73653

Same as before, my cpu wasn't maxed, temp were the same (55-60 ish), gpu usage /vram usage was fine too. I asked the people in the game and they weren't getting the lag. 

and again, i can't recommend doing Overclocking on the H97 Chipset, only on the Z97 Chipset.

as well as hitting ~60°C is quite warm. not critical, however. a 4690k goes into Emergency Temperature Shutdown at 72.7°C. i can't really say how warm it will need to get to decide to start temperature throttling, though.

FYI 72.7°C is that CPU's max TCase. That is not the same as core temp. Core temp is Tjunction. Tj Max is the highest core temp allowed before throttling, which is 100C. 

Programs like CoreTemp report the Tjunction, where as your BIOS will often report the TCase temp. Both are available from the CPU. Core temps will always be higher than the TCase temps.

What is Tcase vs. Tjunction?

These terms are related to processor temperature for desktop and mobile systems based on Intel® Processors. To allow optimal system operation and long-term reliability, the processor must not exceed the maximum case temperature specifications as defined by the applicable thermal profile.

Tcase is the temperature measurement using a thermocouple embedded in the center of the heat spreader. This initial measurement is done at the factory. Post-manufacturing, Tcase is calibrated by the BIOS, through a reading delivered by a diode between and below the cores.

Tjunction is synonymous with core temperatures, and calculated based on the output from the Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) using the formula Tjunction = (Tjunction Max – DTS output).

blueminus-toggle.gifWhy does Intel provide the Tcase specification for desktop processors and the Tjunction specification for mobile processors?

Mobile processors do not have an integrated heat spreader like desktop processors. This is the reason why the mobile thermal specification refers to Tjunction Max instead of Tcase Max.

blueminus-toggle.gifWhat does Tcase Max and Tjunction Max mean?

Tcase Max is the maximum temperature that the Tcase sensor should reach. Both Tcase and the thermal specification information can be found on the Intel web site.

Tjunction Max is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before thermal throttling is activated. Thermal throttling happens when the processor exceeds the maximum temperature. The processor shuts itself off in order to prevent permanent damage.

Edited by weezedog

-snip-

if you'd like, i could instead say that exceeding the recommended maximum Case temperature is dangerous and while it will probably work, is highly not recommended.

Intel makes it very clear that exceeding the suggested maximum IHS Sensor Temperature is prone to causing Damage.

no, the Cores themselves are unlikely to cause Damage at that point, since they will save themselves at 100°C.

so again, if you'd like, it can instead be said that exceeding the recommended maximum Case temperatures is very much not recommended for reliability and lifespan.

so sure, i could say that instead. just more words for less technical users to try to decipher though. for all intents and purposes, those that are not opting into doing outside of warranty things like LN2 Overclocking, should avoid exceeding the recommended maximum Case temperature if at all possible.

i.e. for all intents and purposes for a less technical user, a Desktop Processor should not exceed ~73°C.

because what i've just said here is more informative to the consumer than the text you (sloppily but that's a different story) copied from Intel's FAQ/QA section of general basic information that answers questions just enough to make people to go away and not ask more questions.

My point was more than you have to look at the right temperature. Core temps are always higher than tcase temps. Your core temp may be above 73 degrees but you tcase may be considerably lower.

You have to use the right utility to view the relevant temperature. If someone was using CoreTemp to get their readings, then comparing it to the tcase that's going to be totally wrong.

You have to use the right utility to view the relevant temperature. If someone was using CoreTemp to get their readings, then comparing it to the tcase that's going to be totally wrong.

that is the fault of the applications. they pull not very useful information and effectively lie to you. and you can't be sure about it either, because they'll name it something generic like 'CPU' rather than 'Case' and 'Core 0', 'Core 1', Et Cetera.

so knowing that doesn't help those end users, because the application is still lying to them either way.

like how Windows lies to users and the Task Manager tricks them on how they believe CPU's are being utilized.

atleast some Applications have enough readouts to get useful information. i'm certainly okay with using Speedfan for readouts (despite how inaccurate Software readouts can be - the damn thing says my +12v Rail is running at 10.xV, but when i read the actual Voltage myself, it's actually 12.3v... kay), as it will show me the Case sensor as well as all of the Core Sensors. 

- - - - - 

*grumbles something about needing to Lapp my Processor because Temperatures are not consistent between the Cores*

i5 3570K and GTX970 user chipping in.

Try running the game in 32bit. For me 64bit gives an extra 0.5ms to frame times w/ VSYNC enabled and without a loss of about 50fps to my max fps. For some reason 64bit w/ Multi-threaded rendering adds a large overhead to frame times.

Edited by Snougar