Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My List Of Weapons That Need Sound Improvements.

FelisImpurrator

Right - there are way too many of these to just name the thread after one, so here goes.

First off, the Sybaris and the Pyrana. They both sound so weird. Sybaris is a lever-action rifle and Pyrana is a hand-shotgun with classic Tenno retro styling; that, to me, means they should have a lot of 'oomph' to their audio. But they, well, don't. Sybaris just doesn't have enough of the CRACK! one usually associates with high-caliber lever rifles - nothing like the old-fashioned powder weapon it resembles. Pyrana is just odd with its dull thuds, in place of the big booming noises I expected from a weapon with such monstrous ROF and recoil.

For that matter, Latron Prime in particular sounds completely off, too. Latrons are basically marksman rifles, but the Prime sounds like some weird blaster weapon instead of a thing that fires high-damage bullets into heads. Burston Prime could do with a bit of touch-up, too, a little more force to that burst sound.

Bullet/projectile weapons sounding more like energy weapons than energy weapons is particularly noticeable with a couple more primaries compared to the Cestra line in particular. Braton and Boltor Prime have some of the most PEW PEW PEW-type noises I've heard short of an actual Dera or Supra, while Cestras sound more like bullet-firing SMGs than any sort of rapid blasters. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Braton Prime and Cestra sounds were just flat out swapped.

Also, this may not count, but Akzani's look and build-requiring-ARgon always made me think it was supposed to be an energy weapon, but it doesn't have any 'pew pew' to it either. Wish someone would clarify whether it really is just a bullet hose, or actually some sort of hitscan energy gun.

Lastly, Gammacor's beam sounds oddly... squishy for a laser. I'm not sure what needs changing, but it feels kind of off.

(Side note: That change where Suppress/Hush reduces actual noise honestly didn't do enough. I was expecting something like the muffling effect of zero atmosphere/Silence/Hushed Invisibility at maxed rank, not the equivalent of slightly lowering the SFX slider regardless of rank.)

Corpus weapons- They need a bit of a sound change but let us never return to there old, pathetic, water gun, sounds.

Grineer- Some of thier weapons sound weak, but it's being changed slowly.

Orokin- Yeah DE has made it so that all thier weapons sound like a mix of bullets and lazer weapons and that will probably never change.

Tenno- They need more UMPF to thier sounds, like realy even the MK-1 Braton sounds like a real gun now.

Hm. Actually, I like how Orokin weapons sound so... pew-pewy for bullet weaponry. All that space potato magic has to be doing *something.*

The point is, actual energy weapons sound LESS like energy weapons than the Primes. Why not both? Star Wars knew how to handle energy weapon sounds. Blasters and lightsabers there are iconic; here, they're largely forgettable.

Agreed with heavy melee, now that you mention it. In general a lot of these weapons just don't sound as intense as they should, I'd say.