Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk Mod Pack Revision.

TinyLesbianRobot

Right now, the plat price on mod packs, for what they are, is offensive.  Really, it's the only thing in the game, in its current state, that bothers me.  Becasue I like the idea - I really do, and it's something that I was planning on dumping Plat into... but then I saw what the packs contained.  The Hawk mod pack, a pack of five random mods, five random mods you could easily get from a fifteen minute run of a mid-level mission, costs a little over two bucks.  

With only five mods in each pack it makes NO financial sense to purchase them, particularly at higher tiers.  Ninety plat, which translates to roughly six bucks, for two guaranteed rare out of five mods!?  That's insane!  I could get an entire game on Steam for that!  Even ingame, for the price of four Dragon mod packs - from which you'd get twenty mods, eight of them Rare, you'd be fifteen plat short from getting any Warframe currently available.

DE, if you want the majority of your players to be able to even consider buying mod packs, simply due to budgetary restrictions, then you have got to make it worth their while, and increasing the rarity of 'Rare' mods is not the way to go about it.  Below I have put together a reconstruction of the tiered mod pack system which, I believe, would justify the prices.

Hawk (30 plat): Twenty random mods.
Falcon (45 plat): Twenty random mods, four guaranteed Uncommon or better.
Eagle (60 plat): Twenty random mods, three guaranteed Rare.

Phoenix (75 plat): Twenty random mods, eight guaranteed Uncommon or better.
Dragon (90 plat): Twenty random mods, five guaranteed Rare.

These contents seem much more reasoanble to me - reasonable enough that I'd be more than willing to buy plat just to get mod packs, and I have a sneaking suspicion I wouldn't be the only one.  From where I'm standing, that seems like a tidy increase in profit.  If you want to make more money, you don't want to force players to spend cash - that makes us resentful, makes us reluctant to give you that cash.  You want to encourage us to, by offering us a deal that makes sense, a deal that makes us want to spend money, and right now, mod packs are far, far from that point.  Everyone I've spoken to who's put money into this game agrees that mod packs are a waste of precious Plat.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, or a suggestion for balancing the content tiers, leave a comment.

Twenty mods is kind of.. extreme. Maybe just keep the current mod amount and lower the plat price.

I could get twenty random mods by going online with some decent gear and running a mid-level defense mission to wave 20.  If the price for mod packs was in the cents, five mods would be reasonable.

I wont buy the mod pack unless they put the 3 new mods into a pack and sell it for like 50 Platinum or something.

Those rare mods pack, there is like 1/2 chances that you get Warframe abilities, rather than weapon rare mods !

Zyfe3rX, on 17 May 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

I wont buy the mod pack unless they put the 3 new mods into a pack and sell it for like 50 Platinum or something.

Those rare mods pack, there is like 1/2 chances that you get Warframe abilities, rather than weapon rare mods !

THIS. I tried my luck yesterday with about 400 plats. The only mods worth mentioning were pistol multishot, and puncture. 1/2 of the other "rares" were for warframes I didn't build yet.

Never again... (I said that last time I splurged... sigh...)

I very much agree with you, i busted about 400 plat on the dragon mod pack just because i had 2 split chambers when i bought the first one...the next 3packs  had ALL frame skill mods...I really was considering reseting my account cause of that 400 plat..

The suggestion that is made here is not that extreme.

Quickly looked up Yu-gi-oh and pokemon booster packs.

It seems 10 cards are sold for an average of 3 dollars. (each booster pack has one guaranteed rare?)

Now in warframe these mods are not as valuable as physical real life cards trading cards. And yet they are more expensive. 

90 platinum (~€4,80 - $6,00) for 5 cards.... for 5 digital mods? That's a joke. 

Edited by Pixues

The suggestion that is made here is not that extreme.

Quickly looked up Yu-gi-oh and pokemon booster packs.

It seems 10 cards are sold for an average of 3 dollars. (each booster pack has one guaranteed rare?)

And dat cards are the core of the game!

Edited by Falkes

It's like a lot of the 'cheaper' content in these F2P games.  Over on another one I play, you can buy a pack of healing items that heal you ONCE each.  You get four of 'em for $5.  I told them that price point is WAY too high, but it's still up there.

Either there's a lot of suckers out there or people will literally just BLOW cash on really bad deals.

How about having different types of mod packs with sub types(Dragon, phoenix... in each)? With appropriate (amount, pricing, rarity.)

e.g.

Fusion core mod pack

Warframe mod pack

Primary mod pack

Pistol mod pack

Meelee mod pack

Sentinel mod pack

Or by Polarity

V polarity mod pack

D polarity mod pack

- polarity mod pack

= polarity mod pack

Y polarity mod pack

This way you will at the very least be getting mods in the category you know you can use. # of mod cards, pricing, and rarity will be a little tricky to balance but if done correctly should generate a lot more buyers which in turn means more money for the DE. :)

How about having different types of mod packs with sub types(Dragon, phoenix... in each)? With appropriate (amount, pricing, rarity.)

e.g.

Fusion core mod pack

Warframe mod pack

Primary mod pack

Pistol mod pack

Meelee mod pack

Sentinel mod pack

Or by Polarity

V polarity mod pack

D polarity mod pack

- polarity mod pack

= polarity mod pack

Y polarity mod pack

This way you will at the very least be getting mods in the category you know you can use. # of mod cards, pricing, and rarity will be a little tricky to balance but if done correctly should generate a lot more buyers which in turn means more money for the DE. :)

This is exactly what I want. 

I have whitnessed drop 7 mods in a first wave of a defense mission that took no more then 3 minutes to clean so i shurely would not risk buying any mod pack that im shure not to get at least one of the mods i realy need from and i already praticly have all mods, just some realy realy rare ones are missing.

I have whitnessed drop 7 mods in a first wave of a defense mission that took no more then 3 minutes to clean so i shurely would not risk buying any mod pack that im shure not to get at least one of the mods i realy need from and i already praticly have all mods, just some realy realy rare ones are missing.

Or by Polarity

V polarity mod pack

D polarity mod pack

- polarity mod pack

= polarity mod pack

Y polarity mod pack

The ( = ) polarity mods are Warframe skills. Dont think it would be worth purchasing those Mod Packs unless they made a new optional skill set for each Warframe. Ranking the current ones up should continue to be Drop and Fusion Core dependent.