Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Directional Air Melee Render Parkour 2.0 Completely Worthless? All Evidence Says Yes, So Here's How We Change That.

4G3NT_0R4NG3

I was surprised that you knew what parkour 2.0 was and knew that it involved jumping between zip lines, but didn't know it included a redesign for old tile sets. I hope PVP will be considered part of the real game at some point, similar to how the Crucible is considered to be a part of Destiny.

That isn't a valid comparison.

Destiny:

-built by the Halo creators (great PvP)

-the game was balanced for it from the get go

Warframe:

-game was not balanced for it from the get go

+1 I'm with OP.

Air melee / coptering also totally break walking speed as a balancing factor for frames and the usefulness of mobility skills.

I don't want the game to be slower at all, that would be terrible, frames should get a speed boost throughout, as someone else has already pointed out even for real life conditions we are slow runners, all the more for "super beings". Coptering, as iconic it has become for this game, while being effective is not a particularly stylish way to get around imo... But the past has shown discussions are fruitless, people don't want their toys be taken away, "you don't like it, don't do it" etc...

Also like the OP said the original intent behind air melee doesn't work at all. IMO it should work kinda like in fighting games like guilty gear. In the air there should be a slight lock-on and special air combos. If successfully executed the enemy should be slammed to the ground, open for another combo before being able to lift off again. Something like that. Try to actually hit an osprey with Tipedo now, you're most likely to fly by and even if you luckily hit it on the way but it doesn't die you're back to square one but landing somewhere several meters away, have to reorientate etc... it's bull.

Edited by Kotsender_Quasimir

Except for literally every single reason I just said. Think game balance, not just what you personally like.

Which arguments?

You just said that it is sometimes faster to use airmelee and not wallruns. Also if you believe that it is faster to only use this kind of movement, than you'll never discover what Warframe movement is capable of...

E in the air should be treated as a skill.
U see a target in the air and your character moves towards it in a smoother and better way. Causes Finisher damage.
Is it lazy? yes. But, does it work? Indeed.

So it's used for real MELEE not just because u wanna hop over 10 story buildings.

I've used most melee's because, it's so usefull on Spy 2.0 and most systems of the game that require heavy traveling.

I was surprised that you knew what parkour 2.0 was and knew that it involved jumping between zip lines, but didn't know it included a redesign for old tile sets. I hope PVP will be considered part of the real game at some point, similar to how the Crucible is considered to be a part of Destiny.

someone posted gifs of the new movement on reddit

*snip*

I mostly agree with you here. coptering and a lot of physics bugs have have gotten players used to going at ludicrous speeds.

What I would like to see in Parkour 2.0 is a complete rebalance of all things movement. Things like, standardize directional air melee so all weapons have the same momentum, and that momentum should be about the same as the current Tonfa weapons' air melee hitbox and boost. It's far enough to hit flying enemies, without allowing you to scale large buildings with it. In addition to that, copter should be reigned in as an attack that is useful for closing the distance on the groud with enemies, not flinging yourself through the air. Keep the ground speed during the animation, but if performed in the air momentum should go back to normal air speed after the move is over. Now finally, with those changes, the game becomes a decent bit slower. To fix that problem, all warframe sprint speeds should have a floor of 1.1, with faster frames like loki remaining at 1.3 or even being bumped up to 1.4, but no higher than 1.4 since it looks kinda wonky. SPrinting normally should cost no stamina as well, allowing us to sprint to our hearts content though levels. Stamina would then be used to limit things liek the new super jump of parkour 2.0, along with melee blocking and other melee power moves.

Basically, speed basic movement up enough that we don't need these melee moves to get around, and let parkour be for vertical movement and platforming, instead of air melee.

Edited by Ashnal

Nerfing good mobility options isn't gonna make the bad, clunkier mobility options look any better. Fact is that base movement and stamina system need massive buffs/reworks in order to compete with the utility of coptering and air melee.

Movement tweaks I would like to see:

* Increased sprint speed across the board, with acceleration up to a sort of speed cap.

* More responsive jumping and very high super jumps (hopefully this feature is done right)

* Wall running preserving prior momentum upon coming into contact with the wall, and not completely zero-ing it out like it currently does.

* Wall jumping more or less launching you in the same and snappy way that air melee w/ Bo Prime currently does.

* Vaulting preserving prior momentum (same as wall running).

* Zero stamina drain from movement and parkour.

* To balance things out, coptering and air melee speed will depend on your sprint speed, which would theoretically function in the same way as it currently does with the proposed movement changes above.

All of this would make movement and parkour just as attractive as the current coptering and air melee, but perhaps not without tilesets being tweaked for this movement system.

Edited by Sonitorum

Movement tweaks I would like to see:

* Increased sprint speed across the board, with acceleration up to a sort of speed cap.

* More responsive jumping and very high super jumps (hopefully this feature is done right)

* Wall running preserving prior momentum upon coming into contact with the wall, and not completely zero-ing it out like it currently does.

* Wall jumping more or less launching you in the same and snappy way that air melee w/ Bo Prime currently does.

* Vaulting preserving prior momentum (same as wall running).

* Zero stamina drain from movement and parkour.

* To balance things out, coptering and air melee speed will depend on your sprint speed, which would theoretically function in the same way as it currently does with the proposed movement changes above.

I would add 

*ability to decide which direction you will jump off wall

*ability to bounce off walls for higher jumps

Edited by Davoodoo

Think they already said they're going to look at coptering, which presumably includes directional melee.  I'd be surprised if they hadn't twigged this three months ago -- they seem pretty smart.

I heard about something like a hardcap on copter and melee distance. 

Basically something that doesnt require much work and doesnt fix problem at all.

I heard about something like a hardcap on copter and melee distance. 

Basically something that doesnt require much work and doesnt fix problem at all.

It would fix the problem if the cap was low enough, at least it would help it. I think if the cap was about 50% the current distance of a directional air melee attack with a melee weapon with 1.0 attack speed, the problem would be almost gone.

Parkour will be worthless if it's slow, even if coptoring and air melee goes away..

I've really only found this to be a problem with wall running. Parkour moves like sliding and flipping are generally faster than just sprinting, but I feel wall running needs a considerable speed increase to make it worth using over just sprinting. Parkour 2.0 includes significant improvements to wall running, which should help.