The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Build, Only Crit? Or With Elemental Mods?

Evansmaan

Question

I used Warframe-Builder, but I'm not sure which is more effective(due to people say Warframe-Builder isn't accurate)(I didn't use any Fire Rate Mods though). Which is better? And does Critical Delay worth to use? The critical chance rate bonus is too low compared to Point Strike. Is it better to use another mod in that slot?

Edited by Evansmaan

Yeah, well they say it's so bad, but I've gotten to t4 20 waves with out it really feeling like it's dropping off. The Extra critical helps to off set the loss of elemental damage. I do know it's not the best possible build but it work good in practice for what I have on hand. Until I can farm out Soma prime, and get soem forma into that this version work plenty good at killing stuff.

Right?  I've been told all my builds are bad but they work just fine for me and I've gone 50 minutes in a T4S with what I run and I wasn't a burden either.

This is an awesome community but it can get a little toxic when it comes to builds and player preference.  It's important to remember that this is a game and we play for fun.  ^.^

Feel free to add me in game, planning on farming out the Soma Prime soon as well.

It is a no forma build, as you can see because it has no stars above the name. :D I use the dual stat mods because them have better economy then the single elemental build. Anyway even at the 18% I have on there in the screen shot I can get procs quite a bit on the heavier units.

Nobody really minds the 60/60 elements on there for economy reasons, it's the lack of SC that's causing the criticism. 

In the short term, you'd be better off dropping Ammo Mut and HS for SC. You'd get better DPS *and* more procs. But in really long endless missions, that means you'll run out of ammo a lot sooner and if your sidearm *really* sucks that might be a bad thing. If you've got a half decent sidearm, for sure I'd drop Split Chamber into the build.

Nobody really minds the 60/60 elements on there for economy reasons, it's the lack of SC that's causing the criticism. 

In the short term, you'd be better off dropping Ammo Mut and HS for SC. You'd get better DPS *and* more procs. But in really long endless missions, that means you'll run out of ammo a lot sooner and if your sidearm *really* sucks that might be a bad thing. If you've got a half decent sidearm, for sure I'd drop Split Chamber into the build.

Yeah, in reality, the ammo mutation is on there to fill some left over space. I guess I could swap it out for another element, I usually like to keep it flexible. Like I said for me to drop SC in I'd have to get rid of 2 mods. 

Your basically saying because I prefer full damage, my opinion is on the level of the guy saying split chamber is bad, with NO argument whatsoever. That's why. Don't pretend you have some moral high ground. And stop assuming S#&$. I made consessions in my arguements. Its my opinion shred is situational for the soma.

I don't said anything of it, and dont know where you take this ideia of "moral high ground"( don't even know what you mean with it), but don't worry to reply it cause I am not respond about a stupid discussion ( and it is what we both are doing). You have your point and I mine.

I don't said anything of it, and dont know where you take this ideia of "moral high ground"( don't even know what you mean with it), but don't worry to reply it cause I am not respond about a stupid discussion ( and it is what we both are doing). You have your point and I mine.

You clearly did say what he was talking about,in the post below -

After all that you still say Shred lowers ammo economy and dps, I think you are a wasted case.

Like the guy who dont like Split Chamber :|

Why is he a wasted case? Because he does not have a similar build as yours? Because he thinks the DPS increase is situational with Shred?

If you don't understand what he meant by "moral high ground",then don't comment. Understand it first properly, then proceed with your counter argument.

I don't use a Shred as well,because in normal missions,I know how to shoot enemies behind cover. I don't need punch through for that.

And for Endless missions,I don't bother changing my mod setup because my setup does pretty good at 60 mins T4S.

You got back what you started and apparently,you can't handle that. So,better idea would be to not start such things.

Edited by NN13

IMO Shred is optional on a headshot weapon like the Soma. This is because headshots don't lend themselves to punch through multikills nearly as well as body shots do. That being said, Shred might be a good idea anyway just to decrease the spool up time.

BUT if you're going to take Heavy Caliber, that means you'd be shooting for the body more often, which means Shred (or Metal Auger) becomes a lot more valuable.

I didn't understood what he tried to say by "moral high ground" cause english is not my primary language, and now that I googled it(lol), I didn't try to look superior than anyone, and i used the word wasted wrong, i have to admit it, sorry for that it sounded offensive.

The point of punch trough is every time in every mission type enemies move to you in groups/waves usually concentrade in small packs, this is why Tonkor is soo good for example, and with punch trough you dont have to wait the body fall on the ground to kill the another bad guy behing him.

IMO Shred is optional on a headshot weapon like the Soma. This is because headshots don't lend themselves to punch through multikills nearly as well as body shots do. That being said, Shred might be a good idea anyway just to decrease the spool up time.

BUT if you're going to take Heavy Caliber, that means you'd be shooting for the body more often, which means Shred (or Metal Auger) becomes a lot more valuable.

This is another thing that needs to be taken into account for Shred. Because the Soma is a multiplier based weapon, headshots are extra valuable. Heavy units are typically taller than normal "junk" units, so if you aim at head level against one, you will be hitting the body, or maybe even nothing, on the other unit(s). I'd say if you are hitting 3 units per bullet, it's still worth it, but its something to keep in mind.

I didn't understood what he tried to say by "moral high ground" cause english is not my primary language, and now that I googled it(lol), I didn't try to look superior than anyone, and i used the word wasted wrong, i have to admit it, sorry for that it sounded offensive.

The point of punch trough is every time in every mission type enemies move to you in groups/waves usually concentrade in small packs, this is why Tonkor is soo good for example, and with punch trough you dont have to wait the body fall on the ground to kill the another bad guy behing him.

No Offense, but English is not my mother tongue as well.....But anyway,I understand you didn't want it to sound offensive. Just a misunderstanding.

Btw,as for Lauchers,I always use Punch through on them. They kinda need those. But punch through on Soma is debatable. But I suppose to each his own.

This is another thing that needs to be taken into account for Shred. Because the Soma is a multiplier based weapon, headshots are extra valuable. Heavy units are typically taller than normal "junk" units, so if you aim at head level against one, you will be hitting the body, or maybe even nothing, on the other unit(s). I'd say if you are hitting 3 units per bullet, it's still worth it, but its something to keep in mind.

Ah, but because you are aiming for headshots with that setup, you won't want to bring along HCal, which means we're debating the 4th slot after 3x 90% elementals (assume SC, Serration, PS+VS). In which case adding another 90% is only 24% DPS, and changes your element selection, while adding a 60% to keep the same elements is only 16%. Even Hammer Shot is only 26%. 

Shred is adding 30% burst DPS plus punchthrough, and more importantly, it's bringing you to peak RoF sooner. Basically, what that means is the spinup is 23% shorter *and* it brings you to 30% more RoF, which results in +~57-59% burst DPS during the normal (base RoF) spin-up period of the Soma/Prime. This is far more valuable than other options despite if you can handle the increased ammo consumption and actually most benefits a playstyle with high trigger discipline. 

Think of it like this:

PSxYtNP.png

81.62% is 59.25% more burst DPS during the spinup than 51.25%. Obviously the longer you fire, it drops back down to ~30% burst DPS increase, but you can see that Shred really favous short bursts.

PS. This is how Shred worked on the Soma. Can't say for 100% sure that it works this way on the Prime but I can't imagine them changing the mechanic.

Another point but only works of Void is Bane mod for factions, it improve all damage, but sorry we lack one for corrupted.

And Soma Prime can achieve red crits using one arcane, but I don't now the name, you can saw a guy shoting a barrage of red numbers on youtube is so beatifull...

Ah, but because you are aiming for headshots with that setup, you won't want to bring along HCal, which means we're debating the 4th slot after 3x 90% elementals (assume SC, Serration, PS+VS). In which case adding another 90% is only 24% DPS, and changes your element selection, while adding a 60% to keep the same elements is only 16%. Even Hammer Shot is only 26%. 

Shred is adding 30% burst DPS plus punchthrough, and more importantly, it's bringing you to peak RoF sooner. Basically, what that means is the spinup is 23% shorter *and* it brings you to 30% more RoF, which results in +~57-59% burst DPS during the normal (base RoF) spin-up period of the Soma/Prime. This is far more valuable than other options despite if you can handle the increased ammo consumption and actually most benefits a playstyle with high trigger discipline. 

Think of it like this:

PSxYtNP.png

81.62% is 59.25% more burst DPS during the spinup than 51.25%. Obviously the longer you fire, it drops back down to ~30% burst DPS increase, but you can see that Shred really favous short bursts.

PS. This is how Shred worked on the Soma. Can't say for 100% sure that it works this way on the Prime but I can't imagine them changing the mechanic.

The calculation is spot on. I agree that Shred is better. But the problem with Shred is that it is situational. It will only excel at Survival and Defense and high level missions. Another problem on Shred is that Punchthrough is inconsistent, not always,but sometimes. It depends on the angle of your shooting,but you can not always have the time to line-up shots properly so that punchthrough works.

But, Hammershot does not suffer from these problems. It is always helpful, no matter whether you play Defense or Exterminate. Also, unless it is a high level mission like T4, Soma can one-shot most enemies. So, more "per bullet damage" is better under normal circumstances instead of DPS.

Hammershot has another problem.Soma dont has 100 % crit.

You totally missed the point.... Theoretically,each bullet have a 3/4th chance to be a critical. While this is theoretical,my experience says otherwise. Soma crits often enough to not consider that.

Moreover, a non-crit shot from Soma is bad. It is so bad that Shred won't help. So, Shred will be as useless as Vital Sense and Hammershot if the shot is not a critical,because it won't kill.