Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Friday's Sound Effect Changes

PleasureMan

Though I can't speak to the changes to the Paris's sounds, I've found the changes made to the Bolto/Boltor and Fragor/Gram to be incredibly disappointing; I'm not sure why the spike strike sound is now a "pew pew," but it's distracting and a bit bizarre, and the too-bassy Fragor strikes sound equally unusual and thin. Does anyone know if these were all intended changes, and if so, what the rationale was?

they sounded pretty weak before.

i think they lacked definition. its easy to make a gun that shoots bullets sound threatening. one that shots darts tend to sound like a blowgun. airy and quite.

these changes are ok i think. the feel like they have more impact now. will probably get used to them in time.

edit: gona go double check actually. i only tested the akbolto. gona run with the paris and bolto to see what it feels like. wasnt paying too much attention.

Edited by MetalGerbil

I believe the Boltor sounds the same as the Bolto. The firing sound doesn't appear to have been changed, which is good, because it's a great soundbyte. It's just when the spikes hit an enemy and the player is close enough, they make a really awful high-pitched sound I associate with ice spike spells (after years of RPGs) that sounds really out of place to me. Fragor sounds like they were going for a more gravity hammer sound, but it just sounds kind of thin and a little over the top to me; I thought the old sound effects for it were good. That may just be me, though.

I agree, it seems bizarre that my bow now sounds like a grenade launcher/laser rifle(I expect a twang-thunk, not a thwoomp-pew) and the sound of the bolt weapons impacting is just grating on my nerves. When I see a big metal spike pierce metal I expect a thunk not a pew.

Though I can't speak to the changes to the Paris's sounds, I've found the changes made to the Bolto/Boltor and Fragor/Gram to be incredibly disappointing; I'm not sure why the spike strike sound is now a "pew pew," but it's distracting and a bit bizarre, and the too-bassy Fragor strikes sound equally unusual and thin. Does anyone know if these were all intended changes, and if so, what the rationale was?

I agree with you.

The new sound of Gram is pretty bad,and the Boltor's spike strike sound is like birdcall in my opinion.XD

This evening me and a friend were testing the new sounds.

Paris:

We liked the deeper firing sound of the weapon since it's supposed to use magnetic fields to increase fire power. The impact sound however is horrible.

Boltor, Bolto, Akbolto:

Same here. Firing sound ok, impact sound horrible. It sounds like shooting glass. Whatever that sound is, it's not metal on metal.

Fragor and Gram:

First of all I have to critisize that both weapons use the same soundeffects even though their functionality is completely different.

As for the sound itself: My friend said that he found it intolerable on the Gram and would stay away from the weapon until this is fixed.

I agree that it doesn't befit this weapon.

On the Fragor it sounded okay at first but after 5 minutes of extended use it actually managed to give me a headache. The sound is too shrill and almost has no bass to it. It also gives this rattling impression that I cant stomach. It doesn't sound like two massive pieces of metal crushing together.

Very unsatisfying, I prefer the old sounds. Fragor now sounds like a metal rattle.

My suggestion is to make the sounds more realistic.

If metal penetrates metal on high speeds there is either a disharmonic shriek or a harmonic resonance like 'deng'.

If it doesn't penetrate it's just a high pitched 'ping' sound (which might be used in this game when hitting a wall).

Right now i feel like my enemies wear ceramic armour (which might actually be true) and the metal walls of the level arent made of metal.

I strongly suggest to redo these sounds.

Give the Fragor a double sound set. A harmonic 'deng' sound combined with a short screech (where the enmy armour tears).

Scindo can stay as is, as far as I'm concerned. But a short screech might still be added for metal-metal interaction.

Gram now is a completely different boat since it doesn't have a metal edge. I'd suggest a strong hissing or buzzing sound for this weapon, maybe both as the victim is hit by a discharge of intense heat and electricity (plasma edge) at the same time. Stay away from metal sounds on this one.

Please. PLEASE give the gram back the scindo's sound. With a fury mod equipped the audio hurts my ears, and reportedly my clanmates when were in a game together also. I loved the old sound because it really felt like an extremely heavy sword. I understand this for the fragor, but the gram is a bladed weapon. It shouldn't sound like a hammer (or whatever the fragor sounds like)

I stand by the statement that only three guns have the right sounds for them:

Lex, Sicarus, and Strun. All other have PATHETIC firing sounds.

Uh. Hek? Boar? I think those have the same sound as the strun (I might be mistaken) I love the sound of the vipers, afuris could use a TINY bit of tweaking, hate the lato sound, love the lato prime sound. But this isn't battlefield 3 or call of duty or whatever, these aren't traditionional, generic sounds. They made their own.

Uh. Hek? Boar? I think those have the same sound as the strun (I might be mistaken) I love the sound of the vipers, afuris could use a TINY bit of tweaking, hate the lato sound, love the lato prime sound. But this isn't battlefield 3 or call of duty or whatever, these aren't traditionional, generic sounds. They made their own.

Understood! Which is why feedback is important, I'd like to think.

The more I play with the Fragor the less it bothers me conceptually but the more it literally hurts my head. I don't know what is to be done about it; to be honest, I thought the old "thump" sounds were fine.

The Gram should *not* share that sound set. People have been joking that it isn't a sword at all but an oversized metal stick for a long time now, and these new sounds appear to prove them correct.

On note of the Sicarus - I'm not sure I can agree. It is literally a "pew pew (pew)" gun at the moment, which sounds very strange to me, particularly when wielded by the Grineer.